What version of GitS am I looking for?

General discussion about Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

GoldSol

What version of GitS am I looking for?

Post by GoldSol »

Hey all, I have a quick question.

I got into GitS a while back. I saw it late on night on Cartoon Network, and I've watched it on that station ever since. A lot of the time I can't follow the storyline or I feel lost about particular plot points, but I like what little I can glean of the plot anyway.

For Christmas I got a gift card for FYE (a store that sells music, movies, etc), and I figured the best way to spend it is perhaps on a DVD or two of my new favorite anime. (Or, I guess, my only favorite anime, as it's the only anime I've ever watched.) With the show on DVD, I can watch it whenever I want and get the episodes in order, rather than just trying my luck by hoping to catch some random episode late on night on TV.

However, FYE seems to stock more than 50 different box sets and movies and other things, and I have no idea what I want. The thing is, I don't even know what GitS version it is that I've watched in the past and liked. Frankly, I'm just kind of lost. So, can anyone suggest what I should be looking for?
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

My suggestion: by EVERYTHING!!! :P

Seriously, if you can get only a couple of them, I would suggest either to get both movies:
  • Ghost in the Shell
    Innocence: Ghost in the Shell 2
or both special edition movies (from the Series):
  • The Laughing Man
    Individual Eleven
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?

Jeni Nielsen

Re: What version of GitS am I looking for?

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

GoldSol wrote:Hey all, I have a quick question.

I got into GitS a while back. I saw it late on night on Cartoon Network, and I've watched it on that station ever since. A lot of the time I can't follow the storyline or I feel lost about particular plot points, but I like what little I can glean of the plot anyway.

For Christmas I got a gift card for FYE (a store that sells music, movies, etc), and I figured the best way to spend it is perhaps on a DVD or two of my new favorite anime. (Or, I guess, my only favorite anime, as it's the only anime I've ever watched.) With the show on DVD, I can watch it whenever I want and get the episodes in order, rather than just trying my luck by hoping to catch some random episode late on night on TV.

However, FYE seems to stock more than 50 different box sets and movies and other things, and I have no idea what I want. The thing is, I don't even know what GitS version it is that I've watched in the past and liked. Frankly, I'm just kind of lost. So, can anyone suggest what I should be looking for?
What you watched was Stand Alone Complex, so if you're interested in continuing that plotline then you should start buying the series. Just know that the series is out of continuity with the movies. If you're interested in knowing where the characters from the TV show are coming from try buying the movies. it's a lot cheaper than buying the whole TV series. (Though in my mind the TV series is better in terms of character development and plot)
Epiphany

Re: What version of GitS am I looking for?

Post by Epiphany »

Jeni Nielsen wrote:
GoldSol wrote:Hey all, I have a quick question.

What you watched was Stand Alone Complex, so if you're interested in continuing that plotline then you should start buying the series. Just know that the series is out of continuity with the movies. If you're interested in knowing where the characters from the TV show are coming from try buying the movies. it's a lot cheaper than buying the whole TV series. (Though in my mind the TV series is better in terms of character development and plot)
Thats how I started and ended up buying everything over in the boxed sets. The "Bonus DVD's made me do it" :lol:
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

If you can scrape up the money I strongly recommend you get the SAC series a box-set at a time - it'll save you money in the long-run and it's easier to watch it all in logical order that way. I had to patiently sit around and wait for the 2nd Gig box-set for ages after I watched the first series, but it was worth it :)
[MKFC] [BFC] [NINf] [BID] [TMDDFCA] [LMFC]
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
GoldSol

Post by GoldSol »

Thanks for writing back, everyone.

Believe me, if I had the money I would buy whatever I could and just digest it all. But for the moment I'm just hoping to get the most bang for my buck, so to speak. I do want to get a better feel for the backstory of this universe, and I think at least one of you said that the best way to get that backstory is with the movies, so I'm leaning towards those right now. But is that worth it? I mean, spending money on a two hour movie rather than on a series of half hour episodes?
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

The movies are worth every penny. They are both true works of cinematic art, despite being somewhat different from each other. The original movie is a good place to start. I dunno if it's the case in the US, but I got them together as a box-set of the 2 DVD sets. Be warned though, if you've been watching Stand Alone Complex on Cartoon Network the movies won't really relate to it much.

I only suggested buying the Stand Alone Complex series in box-sets because it makes more sense that way both money-wise and logic-wise. Buying them a disc at a time is a very expensive way to do it. Perhaps that's something you can work towards later :)
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

Saito wrote:The movies are worth every penny. They are both true works of cinematic art, despite being somewhat different from each other. The original movie is a good place to start. I dunno if it's the case in the US, but I got them together as a box-set of the 2 DVD sets. Be warned though, if you've been watching Stand Alone Complex on Cartoon Network the movies won't really relate to it much.

I only suggested buying the Stand Alone Complex series in box-sets because it makes more sense that way both money-wise and logic-wise. Buying them a disc at a time is a very expensive way to do it. Perhaps that's something you can work towards later :)
Is that really true? I've actually seen box sets that are nearly as if not the same as the price you pay by disc. I like boxed sets because it keeps all my DVDs in order, but I'm not sure that it means you get to pay less for each DVD.

EDIT: Nevermind :)

http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Shell-Compl ... 302&sr=8-1
Saito

Post by Saito »

I put this to the test in a branch of HMV in London when I bought the first SAC box-set. I didn't realise they had it (it'd only just come out). I had a limited amount of money to spend and had just gone in to buy a couple of anime DVDs. I grabbed the first 2 discs, priced up at around GBP 12.99 each. I then found the box-set at GBP 39.99. Needless to say I pretty quickly put the other two back :P I got that box-set and a copy of Appleseed for the money I had in my pocket :)
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

Well GoldSol, it entirely depends on your tastes. I say if you liked what you saw on Cartoon Network, then get the Stand Alone Complex. The first season is compiled and condensed into a single feature...entitled The Laughing Man Incident and season 2 (2nd Gig) has been condensed as well, called the Individual Eleven. Stand Alone Complex weaves a great story with lots of side stories that adds to the whole experience. I say get the Box sets, since everyone here claims that the english voice cast is superior to the redubs done for the edit jobs.
However, the two films Ghost in the Shell and GitS 2: Innocence are REQUIRED!! While they may not be able to delve into as much political intrigue as the series, the philosophy (especially in Innocence) is really beyond any anime and most standard film release. The films are much more meditative as they struggle with spirituality and meaning in a collapsed, uber-technological society. The TV series' seems to like to focus on societal disorders. Also, the tachimkomas are nonexistent in the movies if that is a factor...LOL.
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

Also, perhaps you would be interested in knowing that all of these come from the original manga by masamune shirow which should be even less expensive than any dvd if you go to a used bookstore or a trade shop.
Oh well.
GoldSol

Post by GoldSol »

Hmm...an answer to my original question goes much deeper than I would've expected. This is good though :P .

Let me make it even more complex by throwing another factor in here. I definitely do love the philosophy, the politics, and all the other decidedly cerebral aspects of Ghost in the Shell. They really do set it apart from other anime and even other media in general, I think. But at the same time, I have to be honest: I also love the action. Scenes with Saito sniping, or Batou carrying some heavy weapon or throwing fists, or the Major doing whatever crazy acrobatic moves she does, you can't deny that it's exciting. So, do the movies just revolve around talking and talking and more talking? Or is there some good old fashioned shooting, too?

(Please, don't kill me...heh heh.)
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

GoldSol wrote:Hmm...an answer to my original question goes much deeper than I would've expected. This is good though :P .

Let me make it even more complex by throwing another factor in here. I definitely do love the philosophy, the politics, and all the other decidedly cerebral aspects of Ghost in the Shell. They really do set it apart from other anime and even other media in general, I think. But at the same time, I have to be honest: I also love the action. Scenes with Saito sniping, or Batou carrying some heavy weapon or throwing fists, or the Major doing whatever crazy acrobatic moves she does, you can't deny that it's exciting. So, do the movies just revolve around talking and talking and more talking? Or is there some good old fashioned shooting, too?

(Please, don't kill me...heh heh.)
Innocence is probably my favorite movie. It has very little violence compared to the others but is a much deeper film. The other movies have a pretty good mix of action to them. You should read Jeffs review of SSS it is pretty much right on, Both series to me are better than the movies. Probably because they have so much more time to develop than the movies. The condensed films never interested me because they are just clips from the series. Then again as mentioned. the books and figurines can add to your addiction. :cry: As I said in another post Anime can be very expensive.