Future of the forum

General discussion about Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

Marf

Future of the forum

Post by Marf »

Hi Everyone,

I've been in touch with Jeff and Jeni with regards to taking over this forum and moving it to new hosting.

I have registered a couple of domain names and am sorting out hosting over the next week or so.

Once the hosting is sorted out I will work with Jeff to transfer the forum over and take things from there.

Please bear with me and let me know any thoughts you might have.

Thanks in advance

Sam
Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

In the meantime, I've gone ahead and made the registration process Admin-controlled, so that the bots have to wait for me to let them through (fat chance!). The anti-spam MOD I used doesn't appear to have any effect (or, if it does, it isn't stopping enough of the spambots to make much difference).

Please bear with me if it takes a couple of days to be approved to register on these Boards; I'd much rather give everyone instant access, but there are too many idiots who abuse this for their own ends.

Did I say that? :shock:

Jeff
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

good luck with the changeover...i'm glad the shell boards are being deemed important enough to continue...
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

GhostLine wrote:good luck with the changeover...i'm glad the shell boards are being deemed important enough to continue...
I agree with that. but it's awfully lonely in here right now.
rcog3

Post by rcog3 »

About the changeover: have someone though of using an already existing forum (awn.com, animenation.net, absoluteanime.com, etc) to be the official successor of this one? I understand that it would have its disadvantages (moderators control), but also a some advantages. Just making a suggestion...

In any case, I would like to take the opportunity to thank Jeff and Jeni for the (great and unrewarding) work they did. I hope you don't feel guilty, I don't think anyone would stand a chance against a bot in a brute force match. I hope you recover soon :-).

And maybe another suggestion for the next eventual forum master: Turing test! Ask for a "human" question in the registration or hold (moderator approval) the first 2-3 messages, I would be surprise to see a bot that can pass that. And the worse it can do is delay a little bit the registration process, which I think everyone would understand if the problem is explained somewhere.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Hi Rcog

I want to continue the forum as it is to keep the bulk of the discission GiTS oriented, rather than have it as a smaller part of a larger whole.

I will be sorting out a hosting package over the weekend and will keep everyone posted as to whats going on until the forum is in the new hosting with its new URLs.

And yep, a "turing test" will most likely be implemented in the signup, and I will most likely keep the admin activation active for a time after the move
Epiphany

will forums be kept as is

Post by Epiphany »

I was just wondering if the forums will be kept intact or starting everything over when the new site goes up.
Marf

Post by Marf »

All being well the forum will be kept as is, with all the past posts intact.
alfonso2501

Post by alfonso2501 »

What ever the case may be, I’m with you guys! No matter what!
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

So, err did this ever happen or did it fall through? If it fell through then why?
[MKFC] [BFC] [NINf] [BID] [TMDDFCA] [LMFC]
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
Purifying Flame of Justic
Location: The Outer Plane of Xatorsika; Pondering upon my own existence, what path in life shall I embark on?

Post by Purifying Flame of Justic »

Good question Saito... :D
"It is terrible to die of thirst on the ocean.
Does your truth have to be so salty that it can no longer even - quench thirst?" Nietzsche
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

Saito wrote:So, err did this ever happen or did it fall through? If it fell through then why?
It seems to have fallen through. The last post from Marf was back in February :cry: To bad it had to end

"the world will end with a whimper, Not a bang"
Location: The Outer Plane of Xatorsika; Pondering upon my own existence, what path in life shall I embark on?

Sad indeed. This place is though still functioning albeit pretty desolate...
Does your truth have to be so salty that it can no longer even - quench thirst?" Nietzsche
Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

To anyone who happens to make their way here without reading the Site Update posts--I'm back! I've completely redesigned the "in the Shell" site and will be slightly modifying the look of the Boards.

Cheers!
Jeff
Jeff Georgeson
Quantum Tiger Games
www.quantumtigergames.com
the cat is out of the box

Wooho! sounds awesome Jeff :D