23%
GITS Manga Motoko
25%
GITS SAC Motoko
52%

Total votes: 52

marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

MsDia wrote:Interestingly, the Motoko that, for me, brings out the most intense feelings is the one that appears inside the Hadaly doll.

As looks go, both SAC series and SSS have the most relatable, from a human standpoint, Motoko. Yes, even though she flips backwards in all possible angles and dives from buildings.

In the original movie, all the characters were drawn with huge chins and for that I didn't like the faces, though body wise I had no complains. Plus she will always be the original.

I haven't read the Manga yet, so I can't say.
:) The Hadaly Doll Motoko was extremely effective in conveying a strong sense of self, simply because it was the most blunt visual and symbolic way to demonstrate that true individuality resizes in something far more distant than the basic external appearance.

The movie only had Batou with a larger chin, but aside from that the people's proportions were spot-on in most cases. I saw no flaw in chin size.
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

One image of Motoko no-one has mentioned much is her net avatar (or did you - I might just be blind :P), as seen in the 'Chat! Chat! Chat!' episode of the first Gig of SAC. The tall, willowy figure with the flowing red hair is beautiful and majestic in it's grace. Some people regard this as an image of her 'true self' perhaps s she would have been had she not been resigned to a prosthetic body as a child. Personally I find it enchanting.

Like the Hadaly doll, it's a 'other extreme' example that an individual can share many images and avatars while being the same individual, but whereas the doll is a distant and unconnected external face for her in Innocence, her net avatar is a the opposite, a crafted and personal representation of who she is. They stand then in my mind as polar opposites.
[MKFC] [BFC] [NINf] [BID] [TMDDFCA] [LMFC]
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
MsDia

Post by MsDia »

No, you are right. And she also lacks the trademark haircut, the longer hair at the sides.
"I am a Creature of the Night. I run from the burning rays of the sun
and seek solstice in the cool darkness of my shell."-M.Christian
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

You guys must be talking about Chroma, right? I love Chroma.

I drewereded a pictar of her. :P @____@

Here:
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228 ... y_Mart.jpg

I always liked chroma, because it was a very realized, almost god-like portrayal of her character. Her garments look absurdly unrealistic, yet very sexy and spot-on unique!
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

marto_motoko wrote:You guys must be talking about Chroma, right? I love Chroma.

Here:

I always liked chroma, because it was a very realized, almost god-like portrayal of her character. Her garments look absurdly unrealistic, yet very sexy and spot-on unique!
I bet Batou would really like ths one :oops: 8)

Very Nice Work
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Epiphany wrote:
marto_motoko wrote:You guys must be talking about Chroma, right? I love Chroma.

Here:

I bet Batou would really like ths one :oops: 8)

Very Nice Work
Hahaha. :) Thanks a ton epiphany. I like doodling around, but I haven't doodled anything gits related in a while. Lately, it's all personal story characters.
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

Ooohh! Very nice Marto :)

Yeh I guess that is the avatar I meant, although if anything she isn't as elaborate in SAC. Still very much more 'human' though, don't you think?
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
MsDia

Post by MsDia »

marto_motoko wrote:
You guys must be talking about Chroma, right? I love Chroma.

I drewereded a pictar of her. @____@

Here:

I bet Batou would really like ths one

Very Nice Work
Oh boy! For sure—

To be able to draw your imagination is a superpower, I bow to thee.
"I am a Creature of the Night. I run from the burning rays of the sun
and seek solstice in the cool darkness of my shell."-M.Christian
Saito

Post by Saito »

It is that - I wish I could. My imagination is crammed with a ton of crazy junk but I'm damned if I can get most of it out into any art-forms :(
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

Saito wrote:It is that - I wish I could. My imagination is crammed with a ton of crazy junk but I'm damned if I can get most of it out into any art-forms :(

I can't draw for sqaut. But I don't do to bad with 3D Graphixs. I just started working on a set of GITS Meshes. Hopefully they'll turn ot good enough to post :shock:
holdenmcclure

Post by holdenmcclure »

Thats pretty, good. If you could increase the texture resolution on some of the objects, there wouldn't be any complaints from a technical perspective. I don't think it has much GiTS influence though. It looks more like something you would see in The Matrix. Keep up the good work. I would be very interested in a Batou attempt, if thats possible.
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

All very nice (the art)! Someone should start a fan art thread (didn't there used to be one?)... I'll dig out my little SD SAC Motoko sprite gif and post it too :D
Plus she will always be the original
Ah no... As I say in another post, the 1st manga Motoko is technically the original... by a good few many years. Masamune Shirow wrote the manga, and the first film was adapted from that (SAC is of course a mix of both those two -especially in SSS- as well as being it's own thing).

I think that the SAC/SSS Motoko actually looks a lot less relatable, human-wise. As I probably said somewhere, she looks much more like a generic anime design to me, with the shape of her face and her big pink eyes and purple hair. Although there is nothing wrong with her looking artificial or slightly generic, since she is a cyborg, I prefer the more human looking movie design with the unsettling piercing looks (the first movie one really *does* look a lot like a couple of people I've actually met and known).

There is something surreally beautiful in the doll bodies that Motoko inhabits in the second film, I agree. And Motoko Aramaki... I totally forgot about her, bet yes I think that is a beautiful character design also from Man-Machine Interface. I felt sorry for her for what the other Motokos did to her -my humane self really finds the 'survival of the fittest' aspect of evolution cruel- but I guess in biology it really is necessary (modern human values and nature really aren't with each other, lol).

Isn't the black-haired Motoko with the dragonfly mech things in the 1.5 manga and in Shirow's old painting also known as Chroma? I really find that design beautiful... she reminds me of my favourite anime heroine Sylia Stingray from the original Bubblegum Crisis :). I was kind of disappointed when the manga revealed that the woman in that painting was another version of Motoko, because she looks like a completely different seperate person to me.
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

I think that the SAC/SSS Motoko actually looks a lot less relatable, human-wise.
Ack sorry- I particularly mean the original series of SAC. SAC 2nd Gig actually has more shots here and there of her that looked better to me.
Chesire Cat

Post by Chesire Cat »

If I'm merely basing this on looks, I'd say SAC Motoko is the best looking. She's not only visually pleasing (and I mean more than just her daring attires haha), her image in SAC really suits the qualities that she exudes as a person. Something I can connect to better.

It's hard for me to compare her to the manga version, since I can't imagine those drawings transferred to a TV screen. The movie version however, comes off as a little cold to me. Again, it's really just a matter of taste and what appeals to one more.
Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

I'd say the closest I've seen to the manga-Motoko on TV would be in the old PlayStation game. (Maybe I'll try to add some video to the main site, if I can get the file size down.)
Jeff Georgeson
Quantum Tiger Games
www.quantumtigergames.com
the cat is out of the box