SPAM ???

General discussion about Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

THYREN

SPAM ???

Post by THYREN »

Is it me or ... that's the second thread in a row that looks like spam ? :?: :cry:
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Yes, but its a new breed of tricky spam :wink:

So now you have to have 2, instead of the 1 minute, of interent expeirence not to fall victim.

Seriously, this is weird. I don't know why this forum is being targeted. Its so small.
base of the pillar

Post by base of the pillar »

That may be why we're being targeted. Get im small and raise im to be spanmming.
"And if we spirits have offended think but this and all is mended. That you have but slumbered heree while these visions did appear."--A Midsummer Night's Dream

History may not repeat itself, but it does rhyme.
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

I think the admins should specify in the robots.txt that only "real" bots (like google, yahoo...) should be allowed to crawl in the directory. I think it should help :wink:

Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

I've already PMed jeff about this. I'd like to lock this topic now since there really isn't much to say. BBS that use this particular format often get targeted since there's no "prove you're a human" function to sign up here.

The reason I haven't been deleting topics is because I've been trying to use them as "proof" when I PM Jeff. He hasn't gotten back to me yet, and since only admins can issue bans, the only thing I can do is let him take care of it.
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

Sorry about the reply, I thought it helped to give the warning right away, in case someone actually wanted to click that link.
Oh well.
base of the pillar

Post by base of the pillar »

I also want to apologize for replying.
"And if we spirits have offended think but this and all is mended. That you have but slumbered heree while these visions did appear."--A Midsummer Night's Dream

History may not repeat itself, but it does rhyme.
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

It's no problem really. Just know that this will be taken care of as soon as I can get Jeff to deal with it.

As soon as I see these topics I'll either lock them or delete them. I think if Jeff comes back he'll get the idea.

If anyone else has ideas for what I should do with these spam topics let me know as I'm kinda new at this moderator stuff.
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

Jeni Nielsen wrote:I've already PMed jeff about this. I'd like to lock this topic now since there really isn't much to say. BBS that use this particular format often get targeted since there's no "prove you're a human" function to sign up here.
Well, actually, this option is available in phpBB (I'm administring one myself) : in the "Administration panel", in the "General Admin" tab, click on "Configuration" and you'll have the option to choose "Enable Visual Confirmation".

That should help.
Jeni Nielsen wrote:If anyone else has ideas for what I should do with these spam topics let me know as I'm kinda new at this moderator stuff.
I guess you should delete them, but there's gonna be more and more everyday :x

Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

THYREN wrote:
Jeni Nielsen wrote:I've already PMed jeff about this. I'd like to lock this topic now since there really isn't much to say. BBS that use this particular format often get targeted since there's no "prove you're a human" function to sign up here.
Well, actually, this option is available in phpBB (I'm administring one myself) : in the "Administration panel", in the "General Admin" tab, click on "Configuration" and you'll have the option to choose "Enable Visual Confirmation".

That should help.
Ah thanks I'll let Jeff know.
I guess you should delete them, but there's gonna be more and more everyday :x
I know! It sucks. I'm going to email Jeff if he doesn't respond to me in the next day or so.
Thanks for the suggestion.
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

Eh Jeni ! You're spamming too ! (just kidding :P )

Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

I double posted by mistake. So sue me. :)
Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

Hi all!

I already have the "visual confirmation" set to "on" (because I thought that would stop spam!!!). I've now changed one other setting having to do with user registration, but if that doesn't work ... well, if anyone has any ideas, I'm open to them.

I'll check the robots.txt as well ... Thanks for the suggestion, Thyren!

Jeff
Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

OK, so now I've changed the Account Activation setting to "User." Not sure why that would have anything to do with the "Visual Confirmation" setting, but, hey, whatever works. If it does.

I've tried to create a user account without typing the confirmation number, and indeed you cannot create an account without it.

There is, of course, nothing to stop humans from registering and then spamming, other than banning them after the fact.

Grrrrr!

Jeff
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

Jeff Georgeson wrote:There is, of course, nothing to stop humans from registering and then spamming, other than banning them after the fact.

Grrrrr!

Jeff
It's funny. The same bot was spamming another PhBB I go to. Anyhow I'm here to be the one who deletes spammy posts. it's my job and I'm happy to do it. Now go have some chicken soup and feel better! OR ELSE. :twisted: :D