SPAM ???

General discussion about Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

THYREN

Post by THYREN »

It's weird because the last 3 new "members" seem to be SPAMbots (look at their wabsite) :?
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?

Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

OK, I had a moment or two to do some research, and found out a few things:

--First, even the "Visual Confirmation" isn't foolproof--some spambots have become complex enough that they can "read" the graphic and input the info. (This explains why they're able to register ...)

--Second, by changing the activation setting to "User," I've made it so that a human has to actually go to a link emailed to the email address they've provided to the phpBB. (... and this explains why the newest bots that have registered haven't posted anything--they can't activate the accounts!) I thought I'd already made it so that account activation was "on," but apparently not ...

--Third, some spambots don't care if they've done anything but register and provide a web link to some site they're trying to promote--the whole point of adding their names to reg lists is to create more links to their sites, thus giving them a higher rating on search engines.

I think that I'll start removing suspect links and unactivated users after a period of time.

And here I started looking at the Boards tonight just for fun :roll:

Jeff
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

Sylphisonic wrote:Now then, I doubly do not like spam, because it also happens to be the name of a foul processed meat product and that makes me feel even less good to think about it.
That's true, originally, SPAM = Spiced Pork And Meat :?

Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

THYREN wrote:
Sylphisonic wrote:Now then, I doubly do not like spam, because it also happens to be the name of a foul processed meat product and that makes me feel even less good to think about it.
Really? I always thought it was Specially Processed Artificial Meats ^^
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Jeni Nielsen wrote:
THYREN wrote:
Really? I always thought it was Specially Processed Artificial Meats ^^
Yeah, thats it. And its the nastiest thing ever. I could just imagine what a vegatarian thinks about it.

Aftificial Meat, yuk!
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

Well, actually, I made a research (yes, I'm geek too :P ) and it appears that ... we're all wrong !

Check this out :
Introduced in 1937, the name "Spam" was chosen in the 1930s when the product, whose original name—"Hormel Spiced Ham"—was far less memorable, began to lose market share. The name was chosen from multiple entries in a naming contest. A Hormel official once stated that the original meaning of the name Spam was "Shoulder of Pork and hAM". According to writer Marguerite Patten in Spam – The Cookbook, the name was suggested by Kenneth Daigneau, brother of the Hormel vice president and an actor. The current official explanation is that the name is a portmanteau of "SPiced hAM", and that the originator was given a $100 prize for coming up with the name.

Other explanations of the origin of the term include the definitions "Spiced Pork And haM" and "SPAre hAM"; there are also some jocular definitions, such as "Synthetically Produced Artificial Meat", "Some Parts Are Meat", "Specially Processed American Meat", "Someone's Pigs Are Missing", "Stuff Posing As Meat", or "Spare Parts and Animal Mucus", amongst a multitude of other similar parody names.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPAM