Introduce yourself

Tell us about yourself!
rednotdead

Post by rednotdead »

Hello all,

I've been a fan of Ghost in The Shell and cyberpunk for several years now, so it's probably long overdue that I found a forum to discuss it. In fact, I'm a little surprised at the dearth of Ghost in The Shell fans online: obviously they are there, but there doesn't seem to be much of a presence anywhere. (This is especially surprising considering the target audience and nature of the series)

I saw the first Ghost in The Shell film when I was in seventh grade, around 2003ish. I didn't fully understand some of the core messages it at the time, and even less so the plot, but immediately picked up on the art, music, and general themes.

In the last 2 years, I've revisited the series after getting into anime, and I now count it as one of the top 2 series I am liable to obsess and rave about. (The other being The Matrix trilogy) I was blown away by GITS 2: Innocence, which stands as one of my favorite movies of all time, and I consider it the gem of everything GITS.

A little about myself: I'm a 18 year old male, about to attend college this fall. I'm highly interested in philosophy, art rednotdead.deviantart.com, music (Trance and EDM, mostly), history and sociology, psychology, and I'm a total military Otaku. (I've had an unhealthy and sometimes embarrassing obsession with military history and technology since I was in kindergarten.)

I spend most of my time: thinking, browsing and reading online, playing Battlefield 2, watching anime, and drawing.
"Your flesh is a relic, a mere vessel. Hand over your flesh, and a new world awaits you...

We demand it."

- The Second Renaissance,
The Animatrix
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

Welcome, excuse the relative silence. If you start discussing something people will pop up and respond, we're just not the types that post endless stuff all the time.
[MKFC] [BFC] [NINf] [BID] [TMDDFCA] [LMFC]
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

Welcome! Saito's right--there's always people watching the Boards, waiting to reply to something.

--Jeff
Jeff Georgeson
Quantum Tiger Games
www.quantumtigergames.com
the cat is out of the box
Colmy_DD

nice to meet you

Post by Colmy_DD »

welcome, i've not long joined and found it fasinating to read some of the posts and how deep they go as i've only had a irl at school to talk about all things GitS. may your stay be enjoyable.
What i'd thought i'd do is pretend to be one of those individuals... or should i??
Mercurius

Hello

Post by Mercurius »

Hi, as you see, I'm new in the forum. I don't remember posting here before.

I'm pleased to see a forum about GitS! :)

Nothing else in particular comes into my mind right now. I may post in this thread again in the future.

As a side note: english is not my native language, so I beg your consideration.
Last edited by Mercurius on Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

Greetings Mercurius and welcome to In The Shell.

Your English is very good, don't let it put you off :)
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
Colmy_DD

Post by Colmy_DD »

hello there. out of interest what is your native langueage as would be an amazing thing to compare the translations and whether the meaning of certain phares and sentences.

its just an encouraging thought that GitS can be enjoyed by so many.
What i'd thought i'd do is pretend to be one of those individuals... or should i??
Saito

Post by Saito »

English.

I speak a little German also but that's about it :)
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
Colmy_DD

sorry

Post by Colmy_DD »

sorry but i was abit non specific, i was wondering what Mercurius' primary langueage was. sorry.
talon

Post by talon »

Hey guys, name's talon. Just joined because I'm looking for information about GITS that's really hard to find. Also, GITS was the first manga that I bought so it got me hooked. I'm 22, still in community college, and trying to decide whether to spend my life messing with computers or to go into weapons design. The reason for that is I love weapons and warfare but sadly I have medical problems and hate authority figures.
Saito

Post by Saito »

talon wrote: Hey guys, name's talon. Just joined because I'm looking for information about GITS that's really hard to find. Also, GITS was the first manga that I bought so it got me hooked. I'm 22, still in community college, and trying to decide whether to spend my life messing with computers or to go into weapons design.
Welcome.
talon wrote: The reason for that is I love weapons and warfare but sadly I have medical problems and hate authority figures.
I wouldn't recommend weapons design then, you get jumped up and down on by the military all the time.

Then again you get ordered around anywhere. You'll come to learn after college when you hit the big wide world that authority figures are something you'll never avoid whatever you do. They can be your worst enemy, but also your best friend. Without authority and leadership, human society falls apart, so learn to live with them as best you can.

Depending what area of computer technology you go into, it can be highly rewarding. I am a web developer and although it's a bind a lot of the time fighting between 5 major web browser platforms, and managing code that keeps refuses to work for non-logical reasons, it ultimately is very rewarding when something you do works real well.
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
Tonks_kittygoth
Location: The dark dark woods where the kitten monsters live....or happy la la land, my summer home.

Post by Tonks_kittygoth »

*waves hi,*

Ive been gone for like er.. a year ish...
I get distracted by shiny things like I said in my old intro....
Anyways look forward to talking to you all again
and meeting the new
members.

*waves bye*
:tachi!: :tachi!: :tachi!: :tachi!: :tachi!:
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man.
Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as
one wants to live and not die, so do other
creatures." - His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Saito

Post by Saito »

Ooohhh welcome back Tonks :)

Good to see another old face return :)
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
Tonks_kittygoth
Location: The dark dark woods where the kitten monsters live....or happy la la land, my summer home.

Post by Tonks_kittygoth »

Hi hi!

Who's all left from back in the day...lol?
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man.
Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as
one wants to live and not die, so do other
creatures." - His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Saito

Post by Saito »

Jeff's sculling about somewhere, probably closely followed by Syphi. Jeni appeared then vanished again. Marto *was* around but seems to be awol the last couple of weeks. I think Elmo pops in from time to time... Otherwise I dunno, I'm new-ish myself so I dunno everyone from the old crowd but I know a few of them.

Good to see you around anyway. Posting interesting stuff tends to get people out of the woodwork, so if you have any then please fire away :)
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...