Introduce yourself

Tell us about yourself!
AI

Post by AI »

Hello
Despite my nick I am a real person (or is that just because I am treated as one?)
I have been a Ghost in the shell fan since it was first screened on SBS in Australia. I enjoy reading the philosophy discussions and have been doing so for some time and am looking forward to reading and possibly participating in some discussions.
[MKFC] [BFC] [TTAASI] [LDU] [LMFC]
"Who can gaze into the mirror without becoming evil? A mirror does not reflect evil, but creates it."
MsDia

Welcome

Post by MsDia »

Welcome to all. Isn't this a great mind-bending place?

Epiphany, I am with you on that. We are using machine interfaces and we even miss them when they are not available. In the net we loose the interference of external appearence and people can be just who they are. And for that reason people feel free to express themselves in a way they can't in real life, better or worse.
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

Hello hello! And hello (that's... 3 new people I think?).

:mrgreen: ->This is my favourite emoticon. He's so welcoming, that mr. green.

I just realised, the first time I was ever here would have been on the old boards nearly 9 years ago! To me, that is a little mindbending. And there are still people here (Simon's Ghost and -of course- Jeff) who were there around that far back. Well, who knows? Some of the people who have just posted here may come back in 9 years' time and find themselves saying something like this too, lol. It's nice to meet you ^_^

And... eh, 'virtual' is cool. I like this form of conversation as I enjoy long drawn-out, thorough conversations that can go on for years, get added to and evolve. It is nice to be able to come and go between weeks/months/years and pick up into things, contribute occassionally, etcetera. Just see how people are doing, how people have changed in the way they think. I like talking in "real life" too, but it's easier to be calmer and less excitable when "talking" over the net (for me anyway), which is better for these types of discussions. Besides which, we have these little avatars (may change mine at some point again though), and to me I always feel like we're reading *something* of the person's voice in their writing. I think my writing comes off as me, anyway (though maybe if you were picturing a crazy little 80 yr-old man with a face like Aramaki and you actually met me, you'd be a little disappointed! :lol: )
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

Sylphisonic wrote:Hello hello! And hello (that's... 3 new people I think?).

:mrgreen: ->This is my favourite emoticon. He's so welcoming, that mr. green.

I just realised, the first time I was ever here would have been on the old boards nearly 9 years ago! To me, that is a little mindbending. And there are still people here (Simon's Ghost and -of course- Jeff) who were there around that far back. Well, who knows? Some of the people who have just posted here may come back in 9 years' time and find themselves saying something like this too, lol. It's nice to meet you ^_^

And... eh, 'virtual' is cool. I like this form of conversation as I enjoy long drawn-out, thorough conversations that can go on for years, get added to and evolve. It is nice to be able to come and go between weeks/months/years and pick up into things, contribute occassionally, etcetera. Just see how people are doing, how people have changed in the way they think. I like talking in "real life" too, but it's easier to be calmer and less excitable when "talking" over the net (for me anyway), which is better for these types of discussions. Besides which, we have these little avatars (may change mine at some point again though), and to me I always feel like we're reading *something* of the person's voice in their writing. I think my writing comes off as me, anyway (though maybe if you were picturing a crazy little 80 yr-old man with a face like Aramaki and you actually met me, you'd be a little disappointed! :lol: )
I like this because I can be in my old ratty but favorite jammies 8) and not worry about anyone laughing at me. Like I'm doing now :lol:
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

right... I didn't realize it had been that long!

there was that Lain forum too...

is it still in existence?
Oh well.
Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

The Lain forum ... wow, that was ages ago! Those were the old Discus forums, which haven't really been maintained/existed for years.

Funny, I was thinking about putting up my old Lain site again (I still have the files; I could update the code a bit and maybe have it all still work) because I finally got hold of the yoshitoshi ABe lain illustrations book.
Jeff Georgeson
Quantum Tiger Games
www.quantumtigergames.com
the cat is out of the box
holdenmcclure

Post by holdenmcclure »

Hello, my name is Holden McClure, I live near Seattle Washington, and I'm a GiTS fan. I didn't really enjoy the original GiTS manga, I didn't like the way they portayed Motoko. I enjoyed the movie, aside from the terrible voice dubbing for Motoko, holy-crap that was terrible. Most of all though, I enjoyed the SAC interpretation, aside from the Tachikomas and the somewhat questionable art direction for Motoko in season 1. Everything Else in those interpretations I love, I have never enjoyed any other Anime aside from this show, and It has risen to the top of any show period on my favorites.
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

welcome to the boards!
Oh well.
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Jeff Georgeson wrote:The Lain forum ... wow, that was ages ago! Those were the old Discus forums, which haven't really been maintained/existed for years.

Funny, I was thinking about putting up my old Lain site again (I still have the files; I could update the code a bit and maybe have it all still work) because I finally got hold of the yoshitoshi ABe lain illustrations book.
O_O Wow, new people in abundance. Hi to all. I'm Marto. I've only been here for half a decade. >_____> Only.......

:O Jeff, you didn't get the artbook 'till recently?! Shame, SHAAAME!
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

I know, I know :oops: But by the time I tried to get it the first time, it was really hard to get (and very expensive), and so I gave up ... until Sylphi pointed out that they'd released it again recently, and I was able to get it this time.

Seeing it does revive my interest things Wired and Weird :)
Jeff Georgeson
Quantum Tiger Games
www.quantumtigergames.com
the cat is out of the box
Torvald89

Post by Torvald89 »

Hello!

I'm an 18 year old in my first year at St. Petersburg College in Florida. I first heard about Ghost in the Shell back in high school (I'm not an anime fan), but I didn't think it was worth a look until a friend showed me ep14 2nd SAC a few days ago. I might've been sold on the cyberpunk alone, but the philosophy was an absolute clincher for me. So far I've watched the first series, and I plan to start 2nd gig soon. Immediatley after episode 26 I wanted to find a Ghost in the Shell discussion forum, and since you guys were the top hit under "Ghost in the Shell discussion," here I am! :D

My interests are literature, history, philosophy, and politics. I can't stand the subjective, uncritical news channels on TV; the St. Petersburg Times is more to my liking. Those who know me say I'm pessimistic, cynical, and often sarcastic (a product of the times?), but my main goal at this stage of life is to obtain a broad knowledge and experience so that one day, I can help make the world a better place to live in.

My forum name reflects my interest in fantasy, and I use it when I think using my initials is just too lame. The first person to guess what the 89 represents gets a kudo. Oh, and I'm a guy. :)
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

Torvald89 wrote:Hello!

and since you guys were the top hit under "Ghost in the Shell discussion," here I am! :D
We are? Cool! Maybe that's why so many new faces are popping out of the woodwork recently!

[Wholey crapkies! We're the site that shows up if you type "ghost in the shell discussion" into a browser. I'm so proud of this place. ::tears of joy::]

Welcome.
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Jeni Nielsen wrote:
Torvald89 wrote:Hello!

and since you guys were the top hit under "Ghost in the Shell discussion," here I am! :D
We are? Cool! Maybe that's why so many new faces are popping out of the woodwork recently!

[Wholey crapkies! We're the site that shows up if you type "ghost in the shell discussion" into a browser. I'm so proud of this place. ::tears of joy::]

Welcome.
Yeah, most of all it's nice that it's up and running again. When it died, a hole filled my heart. That or a bleeding ulcer...can't tell the difference anymore, but it sure would explain the tummy aches! :D
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

whoa... tough one, you're 18 hum...? no, I just can't figure out the 89.

welcome to the forums!

If you liked the philosophy of SAC, I hope you took the time to watch both movie.
Oh well.
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Philosophy of the two movies is where the good stuff is, in my opinion. :D