Moderator: sonic

Slipstream

Episode 2 -- More than can be concealed / Camoflauge

Post by Slipstream »

EPISODE 2
A naval base off Newport.
“Yokosuka JMSDF Naval Base”
“The Kirishima -- Ilse class destroyer”
Three service vessels surround the Kirishima. On the largest one, several high-ranking Japanese military men observe with binoculars. The most honored one, an Admiral, lowers his set and turns to several scientists. Six Androids rattle away with digidigits on computers while the scientists act directly linked via total immersion optics.
“Update?”
Voices rise up from the scientists and androids…
“We read good power in fuel cell power plant.
“Power reactant storage and distribution read green.
“We’re go here. All stations ready.”
“Ready to disengage.”
“Initiate IOME Purge sequence.”
“Satellite observation locked.”
“MPS propellant valve actuator control circuit, transfer to internal reactants.”
“Third check OK. We’re in the green.”
“Go for APU start.”
“Roger go for APU start.”
“Go for auto sequence.”
“Main drive gimbals test good.”
“Thirty seconds…”
The Admiral smiles as he looks back to the Yokosuka…
“History…”

MORE THAN CAN BE CONCEALED / CAMOFLAUGE

It’s been four days since the last incident. It should be clarified that Katana handles all supply requests. Aramaki calls them again.

“I apologize for not giving you enough time to recuperate from the Sagawa Geofront incident.” Aramaki starts, “In the time since then, Sagawa has claimed the radiation spike was a flaw in their reactor core and has filed suit against a Chinese manufacturer that sold them control system. You’re in the clear even though there may be some long-term political ramifications…but we’ll leave that to Section 6. Our concerns have pointed elsewhere.”

The Yokosuka Naval base appears. A satellite photo.

“This is an odd mission, usually reserved for Section 6 or Section 4 personnel. For personal reasons which will become clear, I have decided Section 10 is the most qualified for this.”

…Zooming into Kirishima…

“This is the Kirishima…a test mule for military technology. Onboard is one of the most advanced military AIs in the fleet. This time, it and its crew were tasked to test out a new variation of therm-optic camouflage developed by Megatech for the JMSDF—codenamed Project Rainbow. Employing a totally different approach from modern camouflage, the new Type 3000 system counteracts motion blur, infrared and ultra-violet detection, and environmental disruption…making it totally invisible. Currently only available for large-scale applications, eventually, it could see application in aircraft and ground vehicles. Thirty seconds after the main generators activated, the Kirishima disappeared.”

The video shows the vessel “waving” out..

“No…it really disappeared…it vanished…totally…”

The wake of the vessel fades out.

“The GSDF has been obviously up and arms and security had been tight and classified. This video clip is 48 hours old. The only reason it came across my desk was because of what occurred 3 hours ago. The onboard server set out an SOS on the Military security net. It’s programmed to do so in case certain situations arrive…obviously they have. Because of the situation, its been instructed to go autistic in case transmissions are intercepted. The technology on that vessel is of vital importance. Our concern is for the Military AI. It contains encryption command keys, access codes, and databases vital to internal security.”

“Ohh…I haven’t even told you the interesting bit yet. The reason all of this falls on your heads resides where the AI transmission originated.” The view shifts global…

“Sinai Peninsula. 100 miles North of El Thamid. Near the Egyptian / Israeli border. 5 000 miles West of here…Smack in the middle of 61,000 square kilometers of desert and mountains.”

A snapshot appears…blurring…but showing a destroyer tilter at an angle, resting in the middle of sand dunes. No marks around the vessel at all.

“Now I think you understand why you are the best for this job. An Egyptian satellite passes over the area every 30 minutes. That’s your opening in and out. Its unclear if they have noticed it…but if they do, you can guarantee, someone will respond. Being a mission of stealth, its best you don’t be seen by this satellite.

“Top priority must be given to the safe retrieval of the military AI. And I do mean safe retrieval. I cannot stress enough the need for this brain to be taken intact…intact. The success of the mission depends on it. Failure is not an option.

“…And don’t ask me where the vessel was in the time when it vanished and when we received the AI distress…because we honestly don’t know…”
The Kirishima’s deck plans can be located. The vessel is big and advanced. It has no onboard defenses and it’s currently in low power mode to prevent an energy signature.

Katana flies the Yodanari and will pick them up…so she is going to miss this one. She will relay intelligence.

They fly in, timed with the passing satellite. Kat bolts, to return in 30 minutes to pick them up. She must remain outside the view of this satellite as it is scanning this area intently now.

The group gets on board the vessel with no problems…
Odd things occur on ship…

--Their clocks all stop ticking…one starts ticking backwards.

--They find water pipe broken…but the water is suspended. When they disrupt it…it sprays normally, getting someone wet.

--Someone falls through a deck without any holes.

--There is an old bloodstain on the wall…really old.

--The Kitchen hold has food…all fresh food were totally ruined with inches of moss and mold.

--A wall magnetizes suddenly, drawing everything towards it…no explanation…and it ends after a minute.

--Where’s the crew (65 men)?

During this time, a picture of the vessel falls across a desk. Calliedh grabs the picture and walks out. He is in full combat gear. He walks by a group of fully armed men. Eight total. They rush toward two military transport helicopters (like Black Hawks). The transports rise into the air.

Section 10 finds the Cyberbrain. It has security features preventing anyone from removing it without it totally wiping out its memory. These must be defeated. The AI must be convinced it is being taken by authorized personnel. It does reveal its log. It had a crew of 65 and when the generator reached its final stage, the AI lost all external inputs. Cameras went on and off. What they do show is men winking in an out of existence. They show people screaming. One crewmember bludgeons another to death. The clock slows…speeds up…then stops during all of this. The cyberbrains internal clock does the same. All outside feeds show nothing…black. This occurs for…well, no one really knows.

Finally, all external feeds stop and cyberbrains clock ticks normally. At least, it looks like it. According to the AI, it’s been like this for 45 years.
When they find the reactor room…it is missing half if nuclear material and is in lower power mode.

The AI refers to the device as a Zero Time Reference Generator.
Checking on the Generator room, they find it is gone…not destroyed….gone…

No damage…bare wires and unstripped bolts. It was the size of a car.
Then someone looks and sees dust plumes indicative of approaching helicopters. Company is coming.

The six men approaching do not know people are present. Section 10 has the home court advantage. Section 10 plants explosive and signal Katana to pick them up. It will be a while. Section 10 goes into hiding. Roy Sharon goes stealth while Greg and Ben keep the AI secure. Sixteen men disembark from the helicopters.

Sharon gets the drop on two of them. Ben falls through the floor and he and Greg get separated. Greg hides in personal quarters. When four guys enter, he hacks their eyes and makes himself invisible. He slips out. Sharon takes out a few more guards and Calliedh and he engage. Sharon can’t defeat him and is forced to disengage but takes up enough time for Ben and Greg to escape. Sharon grabs onto the last rope Katana picks them up.
Creator, Ghost in the Shell D20 RPG
www.serenadawn.com
Gillsing

Post by Gillsing »

Ah, the Philadelphia experiment. So this is what you meant when you prepared us for plagiarism? :D

I remember seeing a movie about it, but when I googled, Google didn't turn up a movie, it turned up a FAQ which said that in 1943 a destroyer teleported from one state to another. Freaky! :shock:
Recommended cyberpunk:
ImageImage
Slipstream

Post by Slipstream »

Yeah, if its based on a true story, it can hardly be called plagerism. I used the real accounts and not the movie...
www.serenadawn.com
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

Yes, creepy stuff about the boat becoming distorted in time and space, later stabilizing with some of its sailors stuck at the waist right in the floor, their legs hanging at the lower level, without any sign of rupture in the floor's material. Heard Albert Einstein was present too... It was supposed to ba an experiment on a cloaking device that had previously worked on a miniature boat which became momentarily completely invisible.
Oh well.
Slipstream

Post by Slipstream »

The biggest problem with trying to gather factual accounts about the incident is that it is self-evolving. Its hard to pick apart what really happened with stuff from the movie...some account now include events in the movie and claim is factual. There was one site I read which basically claimed the ENTIRE movie was true, point for point. Of course, that is incorrect. There were some factual accounts (I mean accounts, not facts themselves) and those points I carried forward into the episode.
www.serenadawn.com