Me wants a GITS adventure game for the DS

What about the Ghost in the Shell video games? Discuss them here

Moderator: sonic

jerryku

Me wants a GITS adventure game for the DS

Post by jerryku »

The GITS games strike me as very odd. The show is so... non-action-oriented, IMO. And yet the games are all about action packed blast fests. It's like combining the Godfather films with a Grand Theft Auto-style gameplay mechanic. (Blech!)

To me, the ideal game genre for GITS would be an adventure game.. or perhaps a graphical choose your own adventure novel. And the perfect system for this.... the Nintendo DS :-D
base of the pillar

Post by base of the pillar »

This is a little odd, but the GITS movies and series do feature a lot of action in them just with a lot of intellect throne in. The thing is you have to look at it from a marketing perspective. A point and click adveture wouldn't sell nearly as much as an action adventure game which is probably why the GITS games are such. ALL BOW TO THE AWESOME POWER OF CAPITALISM.
"And if we spirits have offended think but this and all is mended. That you have but slumbered heree while these visions did appear."--A Midsummer Night's Dream

History may not repeat itself, but it does rhyme.
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

meh, most franchise games are a bit pants anyway.
Joseph Cambell wrote:Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths.
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

Elmo wrote:meh, most franchise games are a bit pants anyway.
a bit pants? Pray explain this odd expression. :)
jerryku

Post by jerryku »

Base,

But the scripts are so heavy on dialogue, and only a few people ever get killed by Section 9 in any of their adventures. Heck, it seems like 90% of the people Section 9 has ever killed were killed in that single episode where they attacked that rebel base.

I'm thinking Deus Ex or Indigo Prophecy are good game styles that would work well with GITS.
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

:cry: There was an ill-fated GitS Deus Ex mod, I still mourn it's loss. I think it'd be excellent in that sort of format though; multiple approach action allows for the ingame exposition and investigation on a par with adventure games.
Jeni Nielsen wrote:
Elmo wrote:meh, most franchise games are a bit pants anyway.
a bit pants? Pray explain this odd expression. :)
'a bit pants'; disappointing, not very good. hmm... i guess that doesn't make alot of sense when you think about it, pants are generally a good thing. It could describe the feeling you get on xmas day when you think you're about to unwrap a GitS boxset only to find that you've been given more underwear. :)

But regardless of the metaphorical similarity to certain undergarments film/anime/comic/television franchise games are still mostly not a good idea IMO. The gaming experience of taking hours getting to know a character and being that character throughout their crisis, guiding them and acting through them is a totally different one to that of a television series where you glimpse their lives for thirty minetes and then leave. It's a poor assumption that the story or characters of one format will work well in another. Also there's the fact that tv to game conversions tend to be under the creative control of the money men, who aren't known for their endorsement of origional or innovative projects.
Joseph Cambell wrote:Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths.
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

a bit pants? Pray explain this odd expression.
Hah hah hah :lol:

It might help to point out that in the UK, "pants" is the general word for men's underwear, and not for the world's favourite two-legged outer garment, which would in said country be known as "trousers". Incidentally, the word for women's underwear is "knickers"... which sounds a lot better to me than the American "panties", which just sounds kind of lewd and dirty every time I hear it.

Hence the other fun but not used much in real life phrase, "Don't get your knickers in a twist," (don't get het up/ all bent out of shape/ all bothered about something).
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

Sylphisonic wrote:
a bit pants? Pray explain this odd expression.
Hah hah hah :lol:

It might help to point out that in the UK, "pants" is the general word for men's underwear, and not for the world's favourite two-legged outer garment, which would in said country be known as "trousers". Incidentally, the word for women's underwear is "knickers"... which sounds a lot better to me than the American "panties", which just sounds kind of lewd and dirty every time I hear it.

Hence the other fun but not used much in real life phrase, "Don't get your knickers in a twist," (don't get het up/ all bent out of shape/ all bothered about something).
Ah now it makes sense. :)