Ghost in the Shell for PS2
50%
Ghost in the Shell for PSP
17%

Total votes: 6

marto_motoko

GitS for PSX, PS2, and PSP

Post by marto_motoko »

I have played them all, and own them all, but dear god! Can the PSP game get any more aggrivating? Truly a disappointment... >_<
Some good and bad points:

The first game was fun and very unique, and had a lot of fanservice (very Shirow style, in my opinion) and comic antics (best thing to get on Motoko's nerves). Aside from that, a brilliant soundtrack, and perhaps the most stunning opening to a game that I've ever seen!

The PS2 game had tremendous music (the soundtrack is one of my most frequently listened to CDs), great graphics, and a very good diversity in stages. Aside from that, very simple, yet nicely diverse controls, and the platforming was done flawlessly. The story was also very nice and thought provoking.

The PSP game had fantastic music, and the Tachikoma was perfectly mixed into the gameplay and the interraction with it was very well made.
The first game had a few stages that had me wanting to pull my hair out! Anyone enjoy tagging and shooting little bombs all around the pier? Or how about the water stage where you had to chase down the boat? Goodness, and sometimes the fuchikoma was put in a daze from the bizzare platforms you had to go on. I simpathyzed with the rookie... :evil:

The PS2 game had a very intriguing plot, but was sadly a little hard to follow due to the innadequate times they made the story develop.
For example, when you're busy fighting a hoard of brain-hacked soldiers with a gun, the last thing you want to hear is a bunch of 'good news' blabber from your comrades about some guy somewhere. And the game was a bit too short. >_> The flags took care of lenghtening it... :cry:

The PSP game.....felt flat flat flat.....I haven't done much in it, and quite frankly I couldn't even if I wanted to! The stages are repetitive, the aiming is atrocious (however you spell that), and the requirements for some of the levels are a major turn-off.
Example: Locate a set number of bombs in fourteen minutes, or you lose.
Doesn't sound bad...until you realize that a stage of bombs alone takes over five minutes!
Example 2: Don't get caught by any soldiers. Eliminate them before they can inform the others that you're there.
Doesn't sound bad either...until you realize the aiming will have you feeling drunk like an irishman on christmas eve, and that the soldiers are better at delivering the news than a FedEx person at delivering packages.

So far, I personally like the PS2 game best. Even though the PSX game seems to hold lot of points, the gameplay was so much better for the PS2.

So what are your opinions?

marto_motoko
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
AJB2K3

Post by AJB2K3 »

I compleated the PSP with all charaters and i am left with a few part to finish inventary.
Never played the ps1 game.
Hate the ps2 game (double jump sucks).
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

I liked the PS1 game okay, but I agree that it was too hard in many places (anyone who says otherwise is a big fibber). I guess I liked how it was pretty atmospheric. The Fuchikoma controls (going from side to side, limpeting to the walls/ceiling and such) were fun and unique, but at the time I remember being mad that there wasn't a game where you could actually play as the characters from GitS and not just some "rookie". When one finally came out (SAC for PS2) I was already less interested, but just the other day I was still thinking we needed to pick it up (especially now that it's cheap). Is it really that bad?

Oh, and the animation in the PS1 game was such a treat! At the time I was completely delighted about that. Not sure that it was "one of the best openings ever" though. Maybe if you're a totally crazed GitS fan and anything with Motoko is instantly 100 times the cool. :wink: Er, that sounded like an insult but I didn't mean it to sound like that.
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Sylphisonic wrote:but just the other day I was still thinking we needed to pick it up (especially now that it's cheap). Is it really that bad?
No! The game is wonderful in my opinion! I've played it over and over again, and completely love it! :D Then again, I'm a fanatic...
Oh, and the animation in the PS1 game was such a treat! At the time I was completely delighted about that. Not sure that it was "one of the best openings ever" though. Maybe if you're a totally crazed GitS fan and anything with Motoko is instantly 100 times the cool. :wink: Er, that sounded like an insult but I didn't mean it to sound like that.
I know it wasn't an insult but you're right: anything with motoko is 100 times cooler by default!

mm
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?