Best ever Levels

From Sonic to Mario to Final Fantasy to Soul Calibur and everything else, talk about videogames here

Moderator: sonic

shadowferret

Post by shadowferret »

Lessee...
1) Kingdom Hearts II- The Pride Lands!
>_>
<_<
I just like seeing how cute Lion-Sora is....
*cuddle*
2) Resident Evil 4- THe Castle!
It's cool....so..Gothic, and old looking! And the cultists are cool, but their chanting creeps me out...and Salazar is my favorite boss to fight, too!
3) The Legend Of Zelda-Majora's Mask- Fighting Majora's Mask!
It's fun to see how fast I can beat him without using the Fierce Deity mask...
4) Killer7- Smile!
I like the surprise ending...when Garcian sees his younger self, Emir Parkreiner, and also sees that he was the one who murdered each of the Killer7, then sees he is carrying all their weapons....it took me a while to understand it completely, but once I did, it was...cool!
5) Guitar Hero- Take Me Out!
...I just like this song....>_>
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

shadowferret wrote:5) Guitar Hero- Take Me Out!
...I just like this song....>_>
:shock: O__o' Shadowferret, there's certain things in life that make us go "Umm....", and that's one of them. :lol:

mm
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
contact

Post by contact »

Half Life 2 - Crossing the massive bridge by climbing through the underlying framework..... now THAT was epic looking.
Phalanx Observation

Post by Phalanx Observation »

Black Pretty much any level, but the first one should have been longer. Show me a game where you can fire rounds into buildings and the buildings crumble, and I'll show you a guy spending all of his time blowing things up instead of accomplishing missions.

FFXII Giza Plains - The Rains/Dry I loved the mini-wheather system they had goin on there. The Rains left you feling like you might be playing in a rainstorm whereas the Dry made you thirsty.

Dead Rising The level where you have to defeat the insane clown with the two chainsaws. There is nothing more terriffying than that. Whats creepier than that is that he dies landing on his own chainsaws, all the while laughing hysterically--it gives me shivers just thinking about it.

Forza Motorsports - Test Course This course has every possible turn type in driving and is a challenge just to maintain on the road at certain points. But once you've mastered this crazy course, you can take on all of the other ones with ease.

Shadow of the Colossus There is a level that you must attack an enormous dragon-type colossus, and as it swoops down to tackle you, you jump onto it's wings. You must hang on to it while it's swooping around and eventually stab it in middair to defeat it. It's a beautiful image with the scenery rushing past and you can almost feel the wind on your back when playing through it. I created a seperate save file prior to defeating this Colossus just to relive the experience.
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Phalanx Observation wrote:
FFXII Giza Plains - The Rains/Dry I loved the mini-wheather system they had goin on there. The Rains left you feling like you might be playing in a rainstorm whereas the Dry made you thirsty.

Shadow of the Colossus There is a level that you must attack an enormous dragon-type colossus, and as it swoops down to tackle you, you jump onto it's wings. You must hang on to it while it's swooping around and eventually stab it in middair to defeat it. It's a beautiful image with the scenery rushing past and you can almost feel the wind on your back when playing through it. I created a seperate save file prior to defeating this Colossus just to relive the experience.
I love the Giza Plains, and the Shadow of the Collosus just had beautiful stages in general. :)

mm
douyang

Post by douyang »

Resident Evil 4:

-The warzone scene in the main game, right after you beat Krauser. Enemies bearing miniguns from fortified positions and your own attack helicopter backing you up.
-OR even better, the scenes in Seperate Ways, (the add-on levels where you play Ada in the PS2 version), and you duke it out with cannons on series of battleships.
-And the introductory village sequence is always a classic.
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

douyang wrote:Resident Evil 4:

-The warzone scene in the main game, right after you beat Krauser. Enemies bearing miniguns from fortified positions and your own attack helicopter backing you up.
-OR even better, the scenes in Seperate Ways, (the add-on levels where you play Ada in the PS2 version), and you duke it out with cannons on series of battleships.

:shock: The Village actually frightened me. That game always gave me the willies. :lol: Even though I love Fatal Frame II, which is rated as one of the top 5 most horrifying games of all time, I just never had interest in Resident Evil 4 once I beat it.

mm
douyang

Post by douyang »

marto_motoko wrote:
douyang wrote:Resident Evil 4:

:shock: The Village actually frightened me. That game always gave me the willies. :lol: Even though I love Fatal Frame II, which is rated as one of the top 5 most horrifying games of all time, I just never had interest in Resident Evil 4 once I beat it.

mm

Though the environments and the enemies created a creepy atmosphere, for me, it was an action/shoot em up as much as anything.

Though admittedly Verdugo and the regenerators creeped me out a couple of times. I could never bring myself to try Fatal Frame, just reading reviews and looking at screenshots freaked me out too much to continue. I can't even finish Silent Hill, the Japanese style of horror, that tension building through the sense of wrongness and unseen danger you can't quite put your finger on always gets to me.

Whereas the RE series always followed the American horror tradition by making the object of fear an explicit and in your face physical threat to your character, like some giant mutant or maniac with a chainsaw trying to dismember you. Effective when done right, but easily becomes cliched, or in the case of RE 4, one supernatural cannon fodder after another.
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

Whereas the RE series always followed the American horror tradition by making the object of fear an explicit and in your face physical threat to your character, like some giant mutant or maniac with a chainsaw trying to dismember you. Effective when done right, but easily becomes cliched, or in the case of RE 4, one supernatural cannon fodder after another.
I disagree, I think there's alot of psychological horror in play in the RE series (at least prior to RE4, which I have no played through past the village). For me, it's reading people's journals and then realising that you're in the room of the person who wrote it and they must have started the transformation that does it. Then when they spring that zombie out of the closet on you, it really is a shock moment. It's hearing the growling of the dogs in the corridors of the mansion, or finding all of your teammates dead in gruesome ways one after the other. It's not really simply what they show you, it's what they tell you- the guillotine in the courtyard with the fresh bloodstains on it, or the soup you discover in the desserted officer's mess that they deliberately tell you is "still warm, and the loaf of bread is half eaten."

That kind of stuff, combined with the atmosphere is what is truly creepy. Hearing the tragedies of the people in the city through their discarded journals adds a really human element; hearing Jill's monologue at the start of RE3 really gives you a sense of foreboding too- "If only someone had had the courage to make a stand- why didn't someone do something? It's true that once the wheels of justice turn, nothing can stop them. Nothing." (I'm paraphrasing). The connection with the evil Umbrella corporation adds an intellectual horrific element I think. Going around the city in RE3, you are given a sense of it's prosperity and false ambitions in the things you find and see, and the subtle hint is that the city dealt with Umbrella and allowed it to exist there in return for it's economic prosperity, and that in some cases people just didn't see the sinister nature of what they were dealing with because they didn't want to. It that sense, the terrible virus unleashed on the city is a creepy and merciless kind of divine justice. Human greed and our complacency in modern society is a scary theme in it's own right, and it's played upon here and woven into a scary shock-horror story and environment. Even the decor and the puzzles are scary, almost as if the phrases and images take on new meaning like they're foreshadowing the sinister future. All the phrases about the past and the future on statues, goddess and imperial imagery (the arrogance of the officials' tastes, perhaps?), a gallery showing paintings of every stage of human life, leading up to old age and death, it all messes with your head and adds to the creepy message and feeling being conveyed.

And to state the more obvious, immediate horror elements in the games; yes, those zombies suddenly busting out of a quiet alleyway (they lulled you into a false sense of security!), or Nemesis' voice growling "STARS" at you just before he appears, the music and all of that are scary too. But the direction is very good, too- those camera angles are picked very intelligently, for maximum effect and claustrophobia. It sort of annoyed me that the films lacked that same intelligence, because in the games it's a large part of what makes in scary- they literally try to frame the picture on screen in the creepiest way possible, yet not so over the top that it's ridiculous or abnormal. Oh, and hearing moaning zombies that you can't see and that still don't come and attack you yet for some reason, but that you know will at some point in the game is also scary!

Okay, I've said my piece in Resi's defense, lol.