Wii?

From Sonic to Mario to Final Fantasy to Soul Calibur and everything else, talk about videogames here

Moderator: sonic

GhostLine

Wii?

Post by GhostLine »

Not "Oui", not "We", but "Wii"
I wonder if Nintendo's 6th (?) Gen console
will face a namechange before it hits Western
shores...like how the SNES was once Super Famicom?
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

yeh, that's what I thought too but according to nintendo's marketing dept. it won't. 'Revolution' sounded cliche but it was miles better than calling something 'wee'.. :roll:
Joseph Cambell wrote:Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths.
Decoy

Post by Decoy »

Kid: "Mommy, I'm gonna go to bobby's house and play with his Wii."
Mom: "Wait...WHAT!?!?" @.@
"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot further with a smile and a gun." Al Capone
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

It's got to be a joke right? not even nintendo would be that stupid.. http://www.playwithyourwii.com/. On the other hand they did make the gamecube purple.. :roll:
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

I almost wrote to them to tell them there was absolutely no way they could ever name it that. They'll be the laughing stock of children in English-speaking countries everywhere, but paticularly in England where that is the most main word for urine that we use. I... can't... beleve them! They have to call it something else!

So... What was wrong with the Gamecube being purple? I don't get it. If you were worried it's too "girly" or something, it seems to be a pretty deep shade of purple to me and I would never of even thought of it, actually.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

from what i've read, nintendo hopes to really revolutionize gameplay in a retro way. you get a standard contoller and a "wand" of sorts that could stand as a sword, bow, tennis racket, gun, etc. yes folks...looks like nintendo can't let go of the power glove.... but from what i also understand, wii will also be able to allow you to play any nintendo game past or present...(which is a bonus to old-school, scrolling 2d aficianados.
sounds good, but sounds like a flop to me. i think after this, nintendo will go the way of sega and just makes games for other consoles.
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

No, besides the daft name, I think it's a great idea. The DS sounded completely barmy to me at first, and look at what a fantastic console that is! I even wanted one, and I've never gone in for handhelds before. But now, it's the first machine of the current era to have really gotten me excited, to challenge me in new ways at a time when I thought games just didn't have any more new tricks left for me, and to seriously make me think about games in a new light... I mean, all the possibilities for design... It's like "games as interactive art" on a whole new level! I love it! So I beliee that Nintendo understands it's niche, and wishes to give these fascinating new experiences to the world. And even if the world thinks they're completely bonkers at first, no-one can resist their unique creativity and sheer fun value when they actually sample it. You buy a PS3 (or an XBox, I suppose, if you're of that disposition), because you need it. It does it's job well and it is your portal to... well... the games you need to have. The Final Fantasy's, the major fighting, driving, shooting, etc etc games. But you buy Nintendo's current revolution of gaming (DS, Wii) because you really want it- it's frsh, it's future, and it's very, very exciting. It's a wonderful concept, it says, "there's room for this too." It doesn't clash with anything else. And, it makes old gamers young again, like they were kids just discovering games again for the very first time. I felt so great when I sat on Christmas evening last year playing Pac-Pix for the very first time, boggle-eyed in amazement and enthusiasm as I learnt to play; actually make my drawings come to life... It's... It's...

Well yeah, as you can see, after the slap accross the face I felt I received as a Nintendo fan after my 64 turned out to not be the "big" console of the time and promptly left me with no way to play most of the main games of the day; I have since healed, been won over by the company's new attitude, and totally love where they're trying to go now. Game :arrow: lifestyle :arrow: design :arrow: creativity :arrow: BRILLIANT. :D
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

Sylphisonic wrote:Well yeah, as you can see, after the slap accross the face I felt I received as a Nintendo fan after my 64 turned out to not be the "big" console of the time and promptly left me with no way to play most of the main games of the day;
i hear you on that one...however, Ocarina of Time is probably the best friggin' game ever!!!
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

nintendo has been a long string of dissapointments; the nes & snes & pnes were feeble by comparison to their competition with nowhere near the same quality/quantity of games, the N64 was in actual fact an N32, the GBA was just a sexed up gamegear, the gamecube was the gamecube, nintendo distribution hates europe, nintendo instead of obtaining entertaining or innovative games for their platform spend more time aquiring franchise titles from other platforms and then making the same game with something like 'battle' tagged on the end of the title and then fills it with mini games, they've just been playing catch-up with PCs/Xbox/Sony since the time when PS1s roamed the earth ..and sonic could beat the s*** out of mario :P (why is it all my rants come down to that?) </rant>

....and then there was "DS", a thing of purest gaming beauty.I pity those who have not had the experience to, via touchscreen, surf kirby along a rainbow, mentally scar a nintendog or slaughter terrorists with that pointy thing :o proof that there is a glimmer of hope about them producing something innovative, if only they can wrest control away from the evils of their 'hip young marketing teams' -_-

the nintendo forum plants trying to big up the name Wii have been funny though..
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

the nes & snes & pnes were feeble by comparison to their competition with nowhere near the same quality/quantity of games,
:? ???

I loved my SNES. It had some of the funnest games and best graphics ever on it, so I don't even know what you're talking about. SFII, Super Bomberman, Super Mario World, Zelda, Donkey Kong Country, Killer Instinct, those FX chip games (Starfox/Starwing, Stunt Race FX), Super Metroid, Turtles Tournament Fighters, Chrono Trigger and the Final Fantasy games of the day were of course on it too (not in Europe mind you, but in the US)... It was like the number one choice platform for some of Capcom and Konami's best stuff for a while, not to mention the RPG choice (yeah, in everywhere but Europe). You were one of those Sega vs. Nintendo people, right? I'm thinking that because that was Nintendo's main competition of the time (sure you had the PC Engine, but that hardly had widespread availability; and the Neo Geo was arcade-level powerful and had cool fighting games on it, but the price tag rendered it "elitists only" at the time). Well, the Sega Megadrive (Genesis) was actually technically inferior, but it did have more games and many many awesome ones too, so really it too was brilliant! I have both consoles; I love them both dearly. You can't truly adore the 16-bit era and not have a place for both of them in your heart.

As for the NES not having many great games... Ridiculous! Here's what was in my collection in 1993 (the year I then got a SNES as well): the first three Super Mario Bros. games, Tetris, Lemmings, Donkey Kong Classics, Excitebike, Paperboy, Monster in my Pocket, Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers, Teenage Muntant Hero/Ninja Turtles, Fester's Quest, Dragon's Lair (okay so that was kind of naff), Kick-off, Duck Hunt and Wild Gunman (because you have to love those aged looking zapper games)... I played a few more than that, but being a child I couldn't buy all the games I wanted to. The point is that most of those were really fun games at the time, even the cartoon tie-in ones... That's not to discredit the Sega Master System either though; they were both awesome consoles (love Alex Kidd).

And as to the Gameboy Advance being a glorified Sega Gamegear... Well, I didn't have an Advance, but I do have a DS so I can play Advance games now. Shut your mouth, boy! The Advance games that I've played and seen are brilliant! Yes, a 16-bit (or whatever it is now, forgive me if I've made a mistake in my old age) colour handheld is a 16-bit colour handheld, but because this is a Nintendo 16-bit colour handheld, it has super innovative, exciting Nintendo software on it as well as all the great stuff by other companies. The first Advance game I got was DK: King of Swing and in my opinion that is super-adictive and different with it's weird "control Donkey Kong's hands" movement system. Well okay, so that wasn't entirely Nintendo's, but they have games on it that are just as good. I'm enjoying owning my DS as much for the Advance back library as I am for the actual DS games; they hold up just fine. Fun and addictive gameplay is just that, however it is packaged.

Anyway, the bottom line is that when Nintendo want to be cool and innovative like they are being now, it should be embraced. Their 8-bit and 16-bit era was awesome, just like Sega's was; and while their 64-bit era was a disappointment in some ways, it was also not a total waste (as Ghostline pointed out, you have Ocarina of Time; but you also have other perfect games like Super Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64...). Likewise, the Gamecube has had a few great titles, maybe not as many as it could have but possibly enough to make it a must-have purchase if you have the cash, much the the original Mario trilogy made the NES (although it also had a huge library of good stuff). And the most dominant handheld in history was the Gameboy, and now I'd say the best handheld ever is the DS. Meanwhile the best consoles of the past were the SNES and Megadrive/Genesis (at least for 16-bit lovers like me), while the best console of the future (i.e. 128-bits and beyond) has got to be the Sega Dreamcast (with it's gloriously crispy Naomi graphics... and Soul Calibur...). So... er... there. :P