Metal Gear Solid 4

From Sonic to Mario to Final Fantasy to Soul Calibur and everything else, talk about videogames here

Moderator: sonic

GhostLine

Metal Gear Solid 4

Post by GhostLine »

Okay, i've had it for a couple months and haven't even touched the game. I finally had some time and I gotta say how much I love this stinkin' game! Solid Snake is the man...it's so much fun blowing the crap outta stuff. After you beat the game, you get the option of getting emotion bullets that cause your enemies to freak out on each other...the laugh bullet makes them start laughing like madmen and then start blasting away at their buddies. So much fun!
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

I love the Metal Gear Series.... but I was greatly disappointed in the fourth installment.

As a fan of Hideo Kojima's other projects, I felt Metal Gear Solid 4 lost a lot of it's history and philosophy.

In fact it bothered me so much that there was a time when I outright denied its existence. Which is a pretty big deal, I never do stuff like that.

But there's a lot to Metal Gear. There's a lot of heart and emotion behind it. At least as far as the fans are concerned.

Metal Gear Solid 4 saw a phenomenon. A huge influx of gamers that never played the first three.

That was both good and bad, because there was a lot more fans, but at the same time, a lot of people praised it while others outright scorned it.

For myself, Solid Snake, who was an amazingly driven person, winds up going back on a lot of his ideals, and in many ways his actions in MGS4 undermine the very essence of his character. Furthermore the individual he devotes his life too (as he makes claim in MGS2) isn't even mentioned, despite the countless similarities a companion of his has developed over the years between the MGS2 and MGS4 (the last time they met, five years).

It's a wicked game... but... for myself, I can't help but be reminded of everything Metal Gear WAS.... And then to see it boiled down like that...

But don't mistake my comments to be anything against what you're saying. But as hard as it might be to understand, I completely agree with you.

The game's a lot of fun! The gameplay itself is superb. But the gameplay itself is very linear, to the point where not once do you have to backtrack or deviate from the set direction forward. Furthermore, if you do try to go off the beaten path, you're hounded by your online support and reprimanded.

The online game is pretty fun especially in its stand alone right. But if you like MGS4, I'd highly recommend MGS1 and 2. 3's good, but it's kind of different, since it's fourty years before the first game.

2 had a lot more of the cyber goodness, and laid out the groundwork of what 4 became. One drawback from MGS2 is the introduction a new protagonist wasn't received very well in the States.

I argue that too many people saw Snake as purely a badass, and didn't spend much time examining what these characters were going through.

It also didn't help that a lot of people saw Snake at the peak of his character, the stand alone. And merely saw Raiden as a whimpy copycat. But when you consider that Raiden's like an amnesia patient that upon waking up is messed with by an advanced A.I..... to the point where he can no longer discern reality from virtual.... Wow.
Original? Copy? I come from a world where such words are meaningless.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

i think kojima really took advantage of what could be done on the PS3 on this one. while the story gets a little farfetched with Snake's family ties, Kojima is almost prophetic when it comes to terms of the military-industrial complex.
Sergeant X

Post by Sergeant X »

I think that MGS2 is a better game than the first metal gear solid
“Poets are always taking the weather so personally. They're always sticking their emotions in things that have no emotions.”
Southworth

Post by Southworth »

Sergeeant X wrote:I think that MGS2 is a a better look at the bathmate than the first metal gear solid
Are they going to make a new MGS game?
Last edited by Southworth on Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

Southworth wrote:Are they going to make a new MGS game?
Hi Southworth! Welcome!
I've heard something called "Metal Gear Survive" is in development. I don't see why Konami would quit on such a huge franchise even if the original creator will not be attached.
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
Kojima

Post by Kojima »

Sergeant X wrote:I think that MGS2 is a better game than the first metal gear solid
GET OUT! :evil:
"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves." -- Lao Tzu.
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

I see your MGS addiction and raise you a Wolfenstein reboot.
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.