Bioshock Film would you kindly!

From Sonic to Mario to Final Fantasy to Soul Calibur and everything else, talk about videogames here

Moderator: sonic

Elmo_Redux

Bioshock Film would you kindly!

Post by Elmo_Redux »

Looks like the rumors were true. Universal has signed a deal to make a BioShock movie. Gore Verbinski of Pirates of the Caribbean fame will direct.

Verbinski has said he thinks the movie will be R rated and he'll take the little sisters dilema "right up to the edge," to avoid betraying the core gamer audience. :)

For once I'm not sceptical about it, it could be one of the few game-to-film moves that works out well. After all he did make a passable trilogy out of a theme park ride so he's already shown he can do more than churn out cynical straight to rental b-movie cash churners like a certain cheesebrained german director who shall remain nameless. :P
Elmo_Redux

Post by Elmo_Redux »

Strange that it's being announced just as the atlas shrugged film is going into production too. Great timing, see the slightly melodramatic philosophical work in the cinema and then a couple of months later we'll be able to see the same film but with giant mutant diver-suited, drillbit waving monsters and creepy little girls! :D booyah!
[IWNJACTWHSLMFAM]
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

Ha ha! You make a good sell on it :D . Convince a local cinema to make a night of it XD
Elmo_Redux

Post by Elmo_Redux »

lol great idea Sylphi I think I might just do that, I know some people at one of more artsy local flickhouses so I reckon I could convince them to do a double feature. I don't know why people don't screen double-films so much anymore, it's always a bit tiring but I love em'.
Colmy_DD

Post by Colmy_DD »

i really only read the title of the topic but i think that the FPS to film thing sucks because they generally dont have gun fights and concerntrate on the plot!!
What i'd thought i'd do is pretend to be one of those individuals... or should i??
Elmo_Redux

Post by Elmo_Redux »

normally I think it's just the opposite, they try to convert the game to film too directly by just making it a lazy chain of action cliches with very little attention being paid to any character other than the protaganist like DooM, Hitman, Mortal Kombat or Tekken(or any Boll film). If they actually hired a decent writer and showed enough backbone to do what is needed to the game canon to make it a more acceptable plot then it shouldn't be too hard to adapt a game for a film. But bioshock actually has a passable story and setting already, as long as they actually create some new compelling characters to tell the story with, or take some from within the game world and give them an expanded role, then I think it really could be alright..

I find your point of view interesting though. Incidentally I will be starting a module of a course soon that is all about film adaptions and I'm looking forward to learning more bout this sort of thing.
Last edited by Elmo_Redux on Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

The debate is interesting enough. Do you think sticking with or changing the thick of the subject matter would attract the same audiences? I think disappointment is hardly avoidable. Remember: marketing & target audiences.
Oh well.
Elmo_Redux

Post by Elmo_Redux »

maybe it's more of an issue with videogame adaptions because everyone's experience of the subject matter will be different, maybe that's true of all fiction to some extent but especially so with games because the narrative is in part being directed by the audience.