Worst ever games!

From Sonic to Mario to Final Fantasy to Soul Calibur and everything else, talk about videogames here

Moderator: sonic

Elmo_Redux

Worst ever games!

Post by Elmo_Redux »

what are the games you loathe, hate, despise etc. the most and why? :wink:

for me it would have to be,

1. America's Army - using a game as a recruiting tool is just sick.

2. Command & Conquer: Renegade - nearly killed the best ever RTS series.

3. Daikatana - disappointment thy name is Romero.

4. Gears of War - You could quite easily finish this bland, ridiculously easy, generic, plotless shooter in your sleep.

5. Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing - The game in which you race against non-existent opponents in a lorry through flat empty landscapes. Fun bugs included being able to accelerate infinitly while in reverse and finishing the race by crossing the start line for the first time.
Last edited by Elmo_Redux on Mon May 14, 2007 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

1 for me is the age of empires 3. very boring and if everything you do is defencive you win.

2 Vampire: the masquerade, bloodlines. Cant even think of anything worth saying about it.
mrtodd

Post by mrtodd »

WHAT!!!!

Your Saying vampire is a bad game!!!??!?

your Crazy!!! :shock:

:roll:
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

Doing my duty to resurrect the forums, I believe this post is worthy of ressurection ^_^

Nice choices, Elmo. I like your reason for America's Army especially. Here's mine:

-Athena (SNK, 1986)- It is too hard! And it's so glitchy! The monsters are unlimited, which is very frustrating.

-Dragon's Lair (on the NES)- Argh! It is also ridiculously hard, and the controls just don't feel good. I never did see anyone actually beat the game. The style is unique and memorable, however.

-Tekken and DOA games- Haven't played any of the most recent entries in the series, but I find the old ones unplayable. BECAUSE THEY ARE SO PAINFULLY *SLOW*! I just can't deal with slow fighting games.

-The original Metroid and Zelda games on NES- I'm sorry, I know they have tonnes of fans, but I found them boring. I couldn't even work out where I was going eventually. All of the games they had after that were great, however. I guess Legend of Zelda disappointed me because of the high expectations I had after playing the SNES Zelda- a Link to the Past game as a child.

-Crash Bandicoot (I forget which; it was one of the first three)- I played it and just found it a bit bland as platformers go, also not terribly challenging for a seasoned platforming fan who grew up on Mario, Sonic and DK. Plus, I think the bandicoot is kind of ugly with his bright blue shorts and orange cheese Dorito-shaped body.

-Most sports games, open-ended "questing" type games, and army strategy Tom Clancy type stuff (although I've only played old ones; perhaps the new ones are better).

To be honest, I think all the Tomb Raider games are quite bad (the first one played the best, while I haven't played Legend or the Anniversary remake yet). But for some reason, even though they are bad games I... I don't know, I *like* them. There's something endearing about their badness. And for some reason, a game that plays out like a frustrating excercise in geometry and in gauging correct jumping angles and so forth is an oddly compulsive mental excercise. So even if you have to watch Lara fall miserably to her death a zillion times because you didn't jump properly or you didn't see the barbed wire below or whatever, I ended up buying every game on PS1 and Angel of Darkness. I think in part I don't mind a bad game, because I liked Lara and at the time it was worth it just to get all the cool in-game movies of her being cool. That's the best explanation I have, lol. I feel the same way about Athena on the NES- it is a terrible game (and it did not even come out in the UK as far as I know), but I love Athena so I don't mind that the game that she started out in sucked. Character loyalty... :roll:

Anyone got any games where they love the characters but don't think too much of the games, yet they buy them anyway?
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

Counterstrike
It's full of morons and gets old soooo quickly. Seriously, I cannot stand running around the same 10 maps again and again and again and again... then get kicked for cheating because I'm actually half decent, or I found a good sniper hole from which I can lay waste to all the MP5 jockeys from. It's got zero imagination and requires virtually no skill to be any good at (case in point - I suck and I can still wipe out half a squad from one roof top).

Diakatana
Deserves another mention just because Romero is such a prick. He bigged it up so much and upset the whole games industry only to relase a putrid pile of crap. Way to get yourself hated by the entire world, man.

Matrix: Path of Neo
Lets not, hey.

Enter the Matrix
Seeing a pattern emerging?

The Matrix Online
Yeh, ok, Matrix video games are hard to get right, and, put simply, no one ever has. MxO came closest to cracking it but ultimately it was let down by repetitive, dull gameplay, and lame plot-lines that plainly were not coming from Larry and Andy at all. Then SoE bought it and... you can guess the rest.

Anything by EA Sports
Anyone fancy milking a dead horse? Pick any FIFA, NFL or NBA game... They lost the only decent franchise sports they had when they lost the F1 license to Sony, at least as far as I cared. Haven't bought an EA Sports came since (and that was 2003!).

Anything else by EA Games (with a few exceptions)
Game sucks? Tough. Got a bug in it? Tough. Need help getting it working on your PC? Tough. Buy our games and go away - stop harassing us for trivial crap like customer support! Why don't you all buy a damn console!!
They'll be offering me a job there soon ;)
[MKFC] [BFC] [NINf] [BID] [TMDDFCA] [LMFC]
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

Saito wrote:
Anything else by EA Games (with a few exceptions)
Game sucks? Tough. Got a bug in it? Tough. Need help getting it working on your PC? Tough. Buy our games and go away - stop harassing us for trivial crap like customer support! Why don't you all buy a damn console!!
They'll be offering me a job there soon ;)

Count me in on that one. I was really hoping that the Harry Potter game for the WII wouldn't suck as much as it did, but it did. The wand stuff was fun but that was about it. The game was really really glitchy!
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

Kengo: Legend of the 9

Was that a disappointment... I had been waiting for that one for years! The first Kengo game really had something special to it. It kind of had that one-shot-kill spirit from the Bushido Blade series but wasn't nearly as quickly over or esthetically painful. Then the second and third ones were never even released in North America. I heard they captured the essence of the first but had mor to offer in terms of customization and storyline. But this last version is a joke. It just seems like you can't quite "feel" the fighting mechanics. The graphics, for an XBOX 360 game are worst than the PS2 graphics of the first game... Then, instead of centering the action around the unforgiving science of sword duelling, the game has you hacking and slashing through wave after wave of mindless drones.

I just want one good realistic samurai game. Am I idealistic?
Oh well.
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

Oh and about EA sports... As time goes by, it becomes inevitable to lose all interest. I just TRIED to get into one of the worst additions the Madden franchise ever came up with. The "Superstar mode" is just such a pain. The game actually has you filling the shoes of just one specific player. Which means you're only watching a simulated game half the time, scratching your crotch and waiting your turn... and when it finally is, you just hope the play actually gets you involved, and if it ever does, you have to hope the play will develop normally, and if it does you have to hope the close up camera will give you a slighly better than mediocre view of what you have to do.
Oh well.
Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

I think one of the last EA games I played was an NHL game for the Dreamcast. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't really like playing hockey either. The opponent AI was very predictable; after a very short time I knew just where to take a shot (from the right of the goalie out near the blue line) to score every time. That's a shot a real NHL goalie stops 95+% of the time (well, I'm just guessing the percentage, but it seems like that). But in the game, you shoot, you score.
Jeff Georgeson
Quantum Tiger Games
www.quantumtigergames.com
the cat is out of the box
Individual Twelve
Location: British Summer Time, where everyone gets an hour less sleep.

Post by Individual Twelve »

Spyro: Return of the Dragonfly. Bullcrap plot and utterly uninteresting gameplay. I just remembered that little "treat" from my 9th year in this world.
[BFCP] [LMFC] [BID] [TA] [TOSFU] [AFC] [DDT] [ATC]
Elmo_Redux

Post by Elmo_Redux »

I heard a rumour about this one a long time ago and i finally played it, I'm sure you all know some bad games but i don't think you can top this. :P

"Left Behind: Eternal Forces"
The religious-propaganda/game where you play a paramilitary Christian Tribulation Force after the rapture has happened. You are set up against the Global Community Peacekeepers, an 'evil' force made up of college-educated people, athiests, rock stars, devils and people of any non-christian faith. Aim of the game is to convert them all to christianity by upping their 'spirit level' through being all evangelical. Racist hate-mongering at it's worst, but it's just really boring ..all you do is kill a few educated people and then pray and preach at people.. :shock:

Still i think it's the only game i've played so far that I've liked less than america's army.
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

you may just have unearthed the biggest blunder of the video game industry. wow. i'm speechless.
Oh well.
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

That's just sick.
[MKFC] [BFC] [NINf] [BID] [TMDDFCA] [LMFC]
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
Individual Twelve
Location: British Summer Time, where everyone gets an hour less sleep.

Post by Individual Twelve »

Ugh. I thought that some treaty somewhere outlawed that kind of racism in general.

Oh yes- anyone ever played Superman 64? Something I got as a five-year-old, or something like that. Utterly rubbish in every respect.
[BFCP] [LMFC] [BID] [TA] [TOSFU] [AFC] [DDT] [ATC]
Elmo_Redux

Post by Elmo_Redux »

I don't know why I dislike these games that are being used for propaganda so much, i mean there are some games that are trying to put accross a message that I like. For example 'bushgame' which was a platformer where you could play as H-man, Mr T or Hulk Hogan and it would take you through a well-sourced discussion of the Bush administration and the effects of it's policies so that people wouldn't just resort to saying "bush sux *mutters something about oil*"(it can be found here but it seems to have been taken down recently), also there's 'Super Columbine Massacre RPG' which discussed the reasoning behind the tragedy, questioned the media coverage where it was and asked 'why' when the mainstream media was far more concerned with 'who' 'when' and 'how'. Both of those games could likely be placed on someone's worst ever games list, so prehaps I only disagree with that sort of game when I disagree with the message. But I like to think there's a distinction between a game that tries to inform of truth and one that tries to spread ignorance, although which category a game would fall into would rely on how ignorant/well-informed I am about what is true.

Either way if games are to be taken seriously as a medium they should be letting us play these sorts of situations and roles too, not just the roles of all-powerful heros and world-savers.