F.E.A.R.

From Sonic to Mario to Final Fantasy to Soul Calibur and everything else, talk about videogames here

Moderator: sonic

Slipstream

F.E.A.R.

Post by Slipstream »

Best First Person Shooter EVER! I just played through the game to its conclusion and immediatly started playing again. First of all, this game looks astounding and the AI is probably the best I have seen. This game rivals Half Life 2....yes, I mean that. It has better AI and a far superior story. Half Life has the variety and game length and I truly loved FEAR. Beyond the fact the game was honestly frightening. The game was scary without the stupid DOOM cliches.

"Oh...there is an armor on the ground...should...I...take...it...I Know there is a demon waiting in a closet."

And why is that demon in the closet...just waiting...for hours...for some one to grab that armor.

"One of the days, man...one of these days...somebody...is going to walk in here....and grab that armor...and it gets hot fire!!"

It was creepy without needing to place the hero in danger and the ending is extremily satisfying. Its not a long game...but its so rich. Very well worth the recomendation.
Creator, Ghost in the Shell D20 RPG
www.serenadawn.com
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Heard much about it, but for scary, I'll stick to my Silent Hill stuff! ^^ Even though I DO adore that little girl from FEAR. She's adorable! Can you give me some examples on how she freaks people out? I haven't heard much except for some comments such as

- Oh my GOD! She made me scream my head off!

or

- Make her go away, maker her go away!

or in third scenario

- WHERE the hell did she COME from?!

And since no one even knows the meaning of 'explain' anymore, my guess is...she randomly pops up in places?
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

I have also completed FEAR and I agree with what Slipstream had to say about it, the graphics, enemy AI and sound are amazing. The enemies react more human and take cover or work as a team than any other FPS games that I have played before.

The game is also very creepy with brief images coming up on screen, the mysterious girl walking by and characters standing in front of you and then disappear into thin air.

If you have a powerful PC, try downloading the Single player demo and you will be amazed of how great this game is.
Slipstream

Post by Slipstream »

Well, just playing the demo will reveal many of what you can expect from the game. What I enjoyed the most of the game was that the scary moments didn't have to try to kill you. In fact...all the moments with the main villain, Paxton Fettel and the girl that are meant to scare you, can't hurt you. The battle scenes are played very differently for different effects.

The reason I enjoyed the game was the pay off of character rather than how effective it scared me.

A couple moments in the demo that reflect how scary the game can be...

...You are walking down a dark underground passage. There is little light except for you own and a single overhead. Ahead lies a room with a few directional ligts. You see rates scurrying past you, away from the room. As you approach, you see the girl passing by the opening in front of you. As you enter the room, you find it empty. When you walk down a hallway, the positional ligthing behind you casts your shadow across the wall. You see her shadow appear behind you but when you turn around, she's nowhere to be seen.

Try this one on. in this game, climbing a ladder is a key button, meaning you press a button to activate the animation rather than normals FPS where you appear to climb down the ladder head first. So, you approach a ladder and hit the button. You views swings around to climb down the ladder...and the girl is standing where you once were, standing right back at you. She fades away. You climb down the ladder and then you look right...and there is Paxton staring at you...and he vanishes in ash.

These may seem like cheap shots but eventually, many of these do clue in to sequences that occure later. There are long sequences where you travel through a illusional hospital. These are very creepy and expose parts of the story I never thought would be answered.

There a tonnes of moments in the game as well that scared me. I remember walking through an office building (EEEEK!!) and the fire alarm was tripped. The only lights were coming from red oscilateing alerts in the ceiling. I had to go to the security office and turn off the alarm. There resides a window in the office looking to the elavtors that are locked down when the alarm was tripped. I walk in a turn off the alarm. My light goes off (as it does automatically as it runs out of power ever minute or so). However, I could not turn it back on. I suddenly got a chill and turned around slowly to look at the window....and there she was staring back at me. I slowly walked outside of the office. However...she was gone. That one got me.

And I have not even started talking about the amazing actions scenes you get involved in. You can nail people to walls with the Penetrator. You can fry the skin off their bones with the Particle Beam. Oh yeah...this game was good.
Creator, Ghost in the Shell D20 RPG
www.serenadawn.com