People we miss

Everything else you want to talk about!

Moderator: sonic

marto_motoko

People we miss

Post by marto_motoko »

So, who are some members that you wish would come back to the board?
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

Quick, let's talk about them behind their back!

Luke and Chris. They were pretty great (even if we teased Chris occasionally)! I get the feeling that whatever they're doing, they're probably doing okay though. Yeah, I'd like them back, although I shouldn't really say that because I have a habit of disappearing myself and who knows when I'd be back to see anyone come back?

By the way Marto, it's great to see/hear/read you again! You were watching the boards sometime I bet! I thought you might come back, because you signed up right away again! How's the art going? (:arrow: :mrgreen: Mr. Green, the emoticon sign of happy friendship!)
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

::grabs Sylphi::

Oh no you don't. You aren't going anywhere! :mrgreen:
Spica

Post by Spica »

I always liked Ragathol. Maybe I should go to his web site's web board and tell him that the In the Shell Forum is back up.
Luke and Chris
I thought one of them (I can't remember which) got banned for flaming.
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
-Hamlet
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

Eh? Someone banned one of them? I never heard about that... Both of them were pretty cool and open to being reasoned with. Luke had a temper on him sometimes, but he wasn't a nasty or malicious person at all.

And Ragathol, the one person who idolises Shirow the most! I think I saw a recent post by Ragathol on a different message board... He was defending something GitS-related and telling people to try out intheshell. :) Yeah he's always welcome.
::grabs Sylphi::

Oh no you don't. You aren't going anywhere!
[Whiney:] But I have tooooo!

Seriously, my time is quite limited and I easily get absorbed in doing other projects. Althogh I only go two days a week, I am behind at school at the moment because I keep getting really tired in the day and I can't seem to wake up on the weekdays in between school to get a good amount of homework in. I'm still having odd weeks where I just don't feel well either, with the dry air giving me headaches and a painful throat and lungs. :evil: So I drop by when I can because I enjoy talking to people here, but what I really need is a lot of rest and videogames. I'll try and get a good lot of posts in and keep up to date with things at least once a week here, but I can't promise anything. I take the days as they come, and most days are gone before I even knew they came! Anyone else ever get that feeling?
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

Sylphisonic wrote: I'll try and get a good lot of posts in and keep up to date with things at least once a week here, but I can't promise anything. I take the days as they come, and most days are gone before I even knew they came! Anyone else ever get that feeling?
I'm fine with that. As long as you don't leave for good. :D
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

Hey, this is a hint that you like me, right? Tee-hee :)
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

Sylphisonic wrote:Hey, this is a hint that you like me, right? Tee-hee :)
Of course! Us girls gotta stick together! ^__^
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Jeni Nielsen wrote:
Sylphisonic wrote:Hey, this is a hint that you like me, right? Tee-hee :)
Of course! Us girls gotta stick together! ^__^

I've always been fascinated on how women always manage to have such a close bond, and then you have guys - typical to them to always be at each other's necks and always compete like there's not tomorrow >_>
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Ah shoot! As for people I miss: Ragathol, Chris, Kotarix, and there were a few more, but I can't recall the names. Just the avatars. There was this extraordinarily nice fellow with a Bateau avatar that used to be a regular, but eventually completely died out. It'd be nice if Luke came back too. :( Shame we lost so many of our old devoted members. :D At least I stuck around! ( I can just see the groans to that comment :lol: )

Oh, and thanks Sylph! It's very very nice to be back here. I missed everyone (at least for those who I knew and stayed). Now I'll be here for sure. But I, just like you, will most likely have to zoom on and off from time to time. I have just began selling my artwork to local artists, and have buyers paying me what I guess is descent money for paintings. Averaging from 200 - 600 dollars per painting, it earns you something other than lint in the pocket. But very time concuming! I have barelly had any rest concidering how many hours I must put into the work I sell! I just won a silver key for state competition in art, and being the perfectionist I am was kind of dissapointed. Not on a selfish level, but more on a deep desire to pull the best out of myself that I can. :)

But I better stop going on and on. :P

m.m.
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

Averaging from 200 - 600 dollars per painting,
Oh my gosh, I want to sell paintings (and get that kind of money for them) too! :shock: Congratulations on the silver key... Don't worry, perhaps it will "open the door" to something even bigger! (Heh, I couldn't resist it... sorry). So. if your art does that well, how come you think you suck (you said that somewhere on the site)?
I've always been fascinated on how women always manage to have such a close bond, and then you have guys - typical to them to always be at each other's necks and always compete like there's not tomorrow >_>
It's funny you should say that, because I noticed that a lot of male artists and writers tend to depict female characters as being totally at each other's throats all the time. They tend to get depicted as nasty, shameless, honourless types who would do anything to get one up on the other girl and who always compet over petty things. It's one thing if you do this with characters that really are connected and aren't meant to get along in a story (as with Tekken's Williams sisters), but I've noticed a lot of guys do it with characters that are barely officially associated at all (might even be in the same series, but don't have an established relationship; may as well not know each other)... Furthermore the way they have them act tends to completely go against their official personalities- it's as if the guys making the stuff up are like, "Oh well, they're girls, and we all know how all girls are like that."

Somehing that bothers me about the anime of Sailor Moon is that in the original books (where the characters had their relationships to each other well-established) characters behaved a certain way, but in the anime they changed the way they behaved towads each other somewhat... For example, Mars from manga is very lady-like and refined, she shows disdain for what Usagi does and says sometimes, but she is not nasty about it. In the anime however, she is the most catty, vicious and down-right mean girl, always having huge arguments with her and generally the belief is that "Moon and Mars don't get along." They also made Jupiter kind of macho too, constantly taking over and being stubborn, instead of the old-fashioned, laid-back girl who enjoys looking after and spoiling everyone (in other words, kind of motherly or big sisterly) that she is in the books.

Uh, anyway, back to what you were saying; I don't think that men are necessarily less capable of bonding (in a sensitive way, as opposed to a backyard wrestling, beer drinking "let's go hunting" kind of way) or getting along than women are. The few men I know really well have very nice, close and un-stereotypically macho friendships with other men. But I do have to admit that at school in the US for instance, I get along much better and tend to like more most of the girls... I'm someone who's good at having very close friendships with both genders (although strangely it's fallen apart a few times with guys that developed different kinds of feelings for me after a few years, and then got too awkward about it and decided they couldn't be my friend anymore), however some of the guys I've met seem to be kind of closed and distant about even talking to me, or else just seem to act down-right srangely and disturbingly. I don't really get it, but it means I end up talking to the other girls more. And I also find a lot of the guys I've met in classes just act really obnoxiously; more show-offy, loud and rude. Some girls were like that too, but so far more guys... But I don't really understand the society here too well, so I don't think I'm very qualified to give a reason for it (I just don't take any nonsense from anyone and try to be as polite as possible about it the rest of the time)... Jeni?

PS- Hey, maybe we should start a seperate topic on this?
Reconsciousness

Post by Reconsciousness »

(in a sensitive way, as opposed to a backyard wrestling, beer drinking "let's go hunting" kind of way)

lol. you forgot trash talking! :wink:

being in high school, i see this thing too. being in private catholic schools and such, they taught me (under some research) that men, starting in the teen years, are way behind on the maturity level, and barely catch up way later when everyones all gray-haired ...

though this is not the case with every girl, as 'portrayed' in the art that was talked about. sometimes girls can be mean and viscious (ive seen it) but men can be just as ignorant and stupid.

I HAVE AN EXCUSE FOR MY EGO
the neurostructure of my brain has not yet gone under self-reconstruction of the behavioral lobe.

(yes, i made most of that up)
A mind opened never regains its original dimensions; a mind isolated will never acknowledge what is deaper inside...
base of the pillar

Post by base of the pillar »

It's not that your sheltered its that sometimes people can be very stupid.
"And if we spirits have offended think but this and all is mended. That you have but slumbered heree while these visions did appear."--A Midsummer Night's Dream

History may not repeat itself, but it does rhyme.
Spica

Post by Spica »

When it comes to high school your pretty much damned either way. At one end of the spectrum their are the terrible inner-city schools where there is no order and no education (I've heard tale of people graduating from highschool and still being illiterate), and at the other end there is the kind of school where I went, where everyone is a pretentious snob out to stab anyone in the back just to get ahead.

As for the obnoxious slackers that make their way to college, most of them end up dropping out after the first few weeks, but the constant influx of new freshmen keeps their numbers strong. I've noticed that the number of cars in the student parking lot drops dramatically after the deadline to dropout and still get a refund, and I get a small amount of pleasure in knowing that I have once again excelled where so many have failed.
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
-Hamlet
base of the pillar

Post by base of the pillar »

Not to nock your system, but I am a proud product of American Public schooling. I went to a Highschool that made up of the people of two towns. Religion was pretty much taboo, and the only thing our school was ever famouse for was when 66% of our Freshman failed. However one of the kids in my school scored a full scholarship to the Naval academy and we had some other fairly intelligent students. Oh and those who wanted to learn about religion and other topics found out on their own.
"And if we spirits have offended think but this and all is mended. That you have but slumbered heree while these visions did appear."--A Midsummer Night's Dream

History may not repeat itself, but it does rhyme.