Steamboy

Whatever anime you like!

Moderator: sonic

simon's ghost

Steamboy

Post by simon's ghost »

Just finished watching this monster... What a piece of work!!! I can't believe you can actually put almost ten years into the making of an animated movie. That's crazy. The results are there though, at least visually. Otomo's trying hard to have an Akira remake, though. The trappings of success! One can easily be lurred into repeating whatever worked on previous projects. It's very hard to create a truly original piece.

Have any of you seen this movie? What did you think of it?
Oh well.
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Ten years? Is it really that big of a movie?! I guess this is a must see. Now if only I could find it at blockbuster...
Spica

Post by Spica »

I liked Akira better, Steamboy's story was a bit lacking, but I got to see it in theaters, so it was fun.
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
-Hamlet
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

i really enjoyed steamboy. it was a bit long, but the fine detail was astounding. it reminded me of metropolis a bit.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

i just saw the novelization of steamboy at B & N.
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

GhostLine wrote:i just saw the novelization of steamboy at B & N.
I only zoomed through it, but it did bring me interest for the movie itself! I was thinking of checking it out, so thanks for the convincing comments~
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
AJB2K3

Post by AJB2K3 »

I loved it, i liked the steam era war but when i finished it i found that there was a mini series of tf mags set in the steam era so i realy enjoyed watcing it.
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

I finally saw Steamboy on TV a few months ago; it was visually gorgeous. The story was decent but it didn't really make it an 'all-time favourite' for me, however one thing I really loved was seeing the Crystal Palace at the Great Exhibition brought to life. That was a real building marvel from the time that was very famous, but it burnt down before I was born and it's ruins (basically it's foundations) are not too far from where I live in England. So seeing it brought to life in gorgeous animation and walking on it's ruins is really surreal. I really respect them for taking an accurate but not necessarily widely known historical reference like that and making it an integral part of the film; in general I feel like they were really going for authenticity, and that's wonderful ^_^