Neon Genesis Evangelion live action movie

Whatever anime you like!

Moderator: sonic

Motoko2030

Neon Genesis Evangelion live action movie

Post by Motoko2030 »

I know this is a bit too early, is anyone here excited about seeing a live action film of Neon Genesis Evangelion when it comes out?
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

I am intigrued by it and it certainly interests me, but I'm not going to be exited, before it at least goes a bit farther to production. The last news are, that ADV has gathered 100 million dollars of the 120 they require in minimum and that Weta is willing to start at the moment Halo is ready. So I suspect it can go to 2008 or 2009 before we'll actually see the movie.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

Anticipating this kind of thing from so early on will surely lead to disappointment. Personally, I find it hard to believe in such a project, mainly because the series was so long and complex, with numerous and rich characters. It just seems too much material for one movie, unless it tells a completely different story and simply borrows the setting and some characters. Also I tend to feel that comic-based live action films have a fake, plastic feel to them so the gruesome and sometimes gory battles of the EVA's wouldn't look very convincing, especially the cannibalism scene, which was by far one of the most memorable ones.
Oh well.
Spica

Post by Spica »

Despite being the the Eva fanboy that I am, I'm somewhat apprehensive about the Evangelion live action movie. I'm afraid that it will fail to capture the feel of the origional anime and be a major letdown.

You never know, they might be able to pull it off. They said that no one would ever be able to make a movie version of The Lord of the Rings, and Weta was able to pull that off.
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
-Hamlet
Slipstream

Post by Slipstream »

The buzz indicates it was in "turnaround" which translates to mean that production has halted for the time being. The WETA designers, apparently, really enjoyed working on it...but funding ran out. I doubt it will ever get made. At least, not to the level we would like. This project has been around since the first I heard it, when Master and Commander came out.
Creator, Ghost in the Shell D20 RPG
www.serenadawn.com
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

Here is some news on the live action Neon Genesis Evangelion film, Oscar-winning visual-effects supervisor Richard Taylor is in pursuit of working on the live action Evangelion movie.
Slipstream

Post by Slipstream »

Trying not to sound condensending, but Richard Taylor is from WETA, which was mentioned...and he had been working on this project since LOTR ended. However, it got put into turnaround and this team did Master and Commander. Last word indicated it still was in turnaround.
Creator, Ghost in the Shell D20 RPG
www.serenadawn.com
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

Check out this site and it's few latest news. Listen the podcasts, too. The project's getting alive, again, even though it's still undoubtedly years away from completing. And the way it's creators to be are discussing about it, they seem to be very serious about it, as well. Whatever it's going to be, it won't be your everyday fancy CG blockbuster-wannabe, at least if they get their way.

I am hopeful about it, mostly due the names involved and their enthusiasm, but I won't be wondering about the schedule or the actors, at least until they've chosen a director.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

I have to say Taylor's belief that the right director will accomplish the feat of cramming a 26 episode story into a couple of hours of film is a little unrealistic. I'd say it would have to be some sort of a trilogy with at least 5 hours of film. Then we'd have something. The eleven or so hours of the series had some change to spare but not 8 hours. We'll at least I think so, but I might have to watch it again, which I just might do during the holidays.
Oh well.
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Well this is news to me. More info please!
Spica

Post by Spica »

A friend of mine heard that the Eva live action movie is going to star Asuka in her time in America (before her introduction in episode eight of the series). I can only hope that this rumor is untrue, and if its not I'll be furious because I'll have been right that they screwed it up. A movie about Asuka before being stationed in Tokyo 3 would be so god awful boring.
-Hamlet
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

Spica wrote:A friend of mine heard that the Eva live action movie is going to star Asuka in her time in America (before her introduction in episode eight of the series). I can only hope that this rumor is untrue, and if its not I'll be furious because I'll have been right that they screwed it up. A movie about Asuka before being stationed in Tokyo 3 would be so god awful boring.
Do you mean that the movie would take place BEFORE the series ??? :shock: :x
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?

Lightice

Post by Lightice »

Spica wrote:A friend of mine heard that the Eva live action movie is going to star Asuka in her time in America (before her introduction in episode eight of the series). I can only hope that this rumor is untrue, and if its not I'll be furious because I'll have been right that they screwed it up. A movie about Asuka before being stationed in Tokyo 3 would be so god awful boring.

I very much doubt that could be true. It would be uninteresting and the fans would go for blood. Even the dumbest scriptwriter knows this. Most likely it was one of the ideas shot around either in a fan speculation group, or in an actual script-development meeting.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
Spica

Post by Spica »

I certainly hope so.
-Hamlet
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

Any news on that movie? Hope it's not dead :(
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?