Anime Classics

Whatever anime you like!

Moderator: sonic

Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

I have just watched Steamboy and I would recommend it for everyone to watch, it is made by the same person who directed Akira. The Engish dubbing has famous actors like Patrick Stewart, Alfred Molina, Anna Paquin.
bobert2999

Post by bobert2999 »

wo wo wo, so death and rebirth is a summary, end of evangelion is what? (my origanal consumption was that both death and rebirth and end of eva were continuing movies to end the series.) but is that what end of eva is? a movie to finish off the series?

note: tripple plz no spoilers if possible. a simpkle yes or no will be a utopia of answer...
"Knoledge without apllication is useless. But the ultimate application, is the use of knoledge..."

half me, half manga technique book i read once
csulu

Post by csulu »

End of evangelion is what happend around the time of ep 25-26.
Like EoE:Real life 25-26:inside shinji's mind.
But it's kinda strange to say the leaste , i think evangelion is best without it.
"Here at section 9 we are good at both inteligence and knocking heads"
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

bobert2999 wrote:wo wo wo, so death and rebirth is a summary, end of evangelion is what? (my origanal consumption was that both death and rebirth and end of eva were continuing movies to end the series.) but is that what end of eva is? a movie to finish off the series?

note: tripple plz no spoilers if possible. a simpkle yes or no will be a utopia of answer...
I'm about as confused as you.
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

Death & Rebirth is partially a summary of the series and partially a sneak peek to the End of Evangelion. IMO, it doesn't play either role too well.

The End of Evangelion ends the series for good, though it can be rather confusing thing to watch - it also manages to be even more angsty than the series, itself, despite of that there should be some law of physics against that. In any case, if you've watched the series, you should see EoE, too.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

I would definitely agree with what the user above me wrote of classic Anime films
Uh, that was me. I forgot to log in.
I have Perfect Blue, so I guess I can trust our guest. And if he every comes back for a visit, I thank him
Thanks! But, alas-- Assumptions assumptions! I am not a "he". Well, mentally I'm probably not really either gender that much, so I guess you're okay. Call me what you like :wink:
Yet everyone praises it and recommends it, I will definitly be getting this one
Blood the Last Vampire? Nah... It DOES look incredible, with an artstyle that really stands out. But I found it really boring beyond the visuals. I mean, the animation carries the film well enough that it will hold your interest for the duration, but there just isn't anything else there. Unless you just latch on to it because the main character is a goth girl with a sword and you think that's cool. But that's pretty shallow- besides, there isn't even any real charecterisation there. Standard vampire hunting story, extra gory.
Last edited by sonic on Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Standard vampire hunting story, extra gory
Thats what I meant by "just the title turned me off". The whole concept doesn't interest me one bit, but everyone raves it so I thought I was judeging a book by its cov- I mean title.

Animation is nice, but if thats the only thing holding this movie up I may need to reconsider.
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

To me, "Blood" is definitely not worth buying. No real plot, very short in lenght, just really nice animation, artwork and style. A good rent at best.
Oh well.
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

I was also wondering about Ninja Scroll. Again the title just turns me off. Whats so great about it?
Spica

Post by Spica »

I've seen Ninja Scroll, it was OK story wise. I think the main reason people watch it is for the sex and nudity. I remember some time ago (back on the old forum) Sylphi talked about bad experiences with Ninja Scroll, she might be able to elaborate on why she doesn't like it.
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
-Hamlet
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

mixed feelings about this one too. Ninja scroll has some GREAT action scenes, the characters are kind of cliché, except the main protagonist, Jubei Kibagame, who's somewhat faceted personality can be fun to discover through the story and interaction. The animation and character design is well above standard. However, it does have the downside of being overly commercial, with the gratuitous use of sexuality & gore in many scenes. I tend to just filter that stuff. To me it's like enjoying the music but not the lyrics, or vice versa, I focus on what I enjoy and ignore the "mass appeal" stuff, or should I say "fanboy oriented" stuff.
Oh well.
Bringin It Down

Post by Bringin It Down »

Neon Genesis Evangeleon
Ghost in the Shell
Princess Mononoke
Cowboy Bebop

I'm glad to see some suggestions that I hadn't heard of. I'll definitely have to check them out.
Gillsing

Post by Gillsing »

Spica wrote:I've seen Ninja Scroll, it was OK story wise. I think the main reason people watch it is for the sex and nudity.
There isn't very much sex and nudity though. I only remember one gratuitous but also brief scene with a clan leader, and then a 'softcore' rape scene. I think Ninja Scroll is a great action/monster-movie because it features really cool demons with distinct specialities, and not just demonpeople who go "blargh" and turn into gigantic fleshbeasts with claws and bulbous eyes. There's also a story that is at least a little more than "hero wants to kill badguy, and badguy vexes hero until hero succeeds". And the fight at the end is great, mostly due to the locale, the conditions and how it ends. And Jubei is too cool, though I used to think he was a ronin and not a ninja. I suppose that I got that wrong though? :?

I never liked the Akira movie, but when I read the actual manga it contained a post-apocalyptic cityscape, and that's a plus in my book. But the whole "blargh-I-am-a-fleshy-blob-of-real-ultimate-power"-thing grows old real fast.

Now, if you're going to look at non-hentai for the sake of sex and nudity, I'd recommend Wicked City. Well, unless you're seriously turned off by [edit by mod for mention of something pretty disgusting (so I'm told) that is inappropriate for these boards. Sorry we missed it earlier] and don't just think "wow, cool, never seen that before" like I did. ;) (But you could also watch Wicked City because of the cool demons and the plot twists.)
Recommended cyberpunk:
ImageImage
Spica

Post by Spica »

You forgot the one snake demoness. She was nude pretty much all of the time, and she had a snake come out from between her legs. And there was the shadow demon who controlled women by "fingering" them.
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
-Hamlet
Gillsing

Post by Gillsing »

I do remember her being nude most of the time, but I don't remember it being very explicit. I haven't seen that movie in years though. I had forgotten about the snake that comes out from between her legs, but I guess that's because I file such stuff under "cool demon trickery" and not under "nudity" and definitely not under "sex". I also don't remember any censoring of genitals, so how much did that snake trick show? Lots of tender inner thigh? :?

All I remember the shadow demon doing was to escape into shadows and throw his metal hook on a chain around. I don't remember him controlling or fingering women. Maybe it happened in a scene which I couldn't make much sense of and therefore couldn't properly file away. ;)
Recommended cyberpunk:
ImageImage