Anime Classics

Whatever anime you like!

Moderator: sonic

Black Mamba

Anime Classics

Post by Black Mamba »

Well Christmas is coming and lately I've been looking for classic anime movies to put on my wish list. I have Akira, but what else? What anime movies must every anime fan own?

Post by Guest »

A few that I think are worth it:

Millenium Actress
Spirited Away
Perfect Blue
Macross Plus the movie
Macross: Do You Remember Love?
Goshogun: The Time Etranger (aka Time Stranger)
Patlabor films (especially 2)
Tank Police (Shirow's most fun creation...)

Millenium Actress comes with one of the most highest recommendations in the world though. It's one of the best films ever- maybe even the best? No cyborgs, no mutants, no big guns... Just a very moving story, beautifully shot. You'll almost constantly have tears in your eyes as you watch!
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

I would definitely agree with what the user above me wrote of classic Anime films, I would also mention

Blood the Last Vampire
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Steam Boy (never seen it, but I heard it is great and plus it is up for an Oscar this year)
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

I have Perfect Blue, so I guess I can trust our guest. And if he every comes back for a visit, I thank him.
Neon Genesis Evangelion
I thought that was a series. Would I still be interested in the movie, if I never seen the series?
Millenium Actress
Spirited Away
I've been debating about these two, wasn't sure if I'd like them. So I guess I'll go for it.
Blood the Last Vampire
Just the title makes me wanna forget about it. Yet everyone praises it and recommends it, I will definitly be getting this one.

I also wanted to ask if the Speical Edition of Ghost in the Shell was worth selling my original copy (people who are new to the 2nd gig are probably eating them up on ebay)?
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

Neon Genesis Evangelion is a series, but Manga Entertainment made two movies based on the series.

Another good Anime is Howl's Moving Castle.
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

Motoko2030 wrote:Neon Genesis Evangelion is a series, but Manga Entertainment made two movies based on the series.

Manga Entertainment didn't make them. They just distributed them in English. They were produced by Gainax. The first "movie", Death & Rebirth is mostly made from the scenes of the series with little new stuff added. The second movie, the End of Evangelion is the true ending of the series and if you've seen the original series, you pretty much must see it, though I must say that it's even more complex and hard to understand, than the ending episodes, that people usually call difficult.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
miki-chan

Post by miki-chan »

My classics would be Project A-ko and UY2: Beautiful Dreamer. I'd add My Neighbor Totoro but I haven't actually seen it on DVD and seem to recall hearing that the Region 1 version lacks a Japanese audio track :evil: .
Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

Project A-ko would definitely be a classic for me (along with Project A-ko 3: Cinderella Rhapsody). Sailor Moon (the Japanese with subtitles) is another anime (though a series, of course) that holds a dear place in my heart. Others:

Millenium Actress--Best I've ever seen!!!
Perfect Blue
Macross II (the one with Ishtar and the Emulators)
Goshogun: The Time Etranger (aka Time Stranger)--An incredibly moving story, very well told
Ghost in the Shell (well, of course)

Urusei Yatsura is very definitely a classic, but again a series ... I haven't seen the films.

I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of them just now.

Jeff
contact

Post by contact »

don't forget the Cowboy Bebop Movie, lots of great moments in that
Spica

Post by Spica »

I'd have to say "The End of Evangelion". Its hella tight, but you should probably see either the series or the "Death" part of "Death and Rebirth" before you see the movie.

I assume that you've already seen it, but if you haven't, the origional Ghost in the Shell movie (and also shame on you). In the anime club at the college I go to, we were watching Anime Hell 2, and there was a clip from Ghost in the Shell in it. One of the Freshmen didn't know where it was from, so I had to heap my scorn upon him.

Well, those are my two favorites.
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
-Hamlet
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

I have seen the original GitS movie Spica.

I am interested in this EVA. Did they like make a movie that isn't a sequal to the series, but rather the entire series? Like the upcoming Laughing Man movie.
MiNaeClem

Post by MiNaeClem »

What they did with EVA was only about the budget.They made the ending again when they found money.
By the way do not forget Trigun! :) And Rurouni Kenshin Trust-Betrayel is another classic.
Spica

Post by Spica »

Black Mamba wrote:I am interested in this EVA. Did they like make a movie that isn't a sequal to the series, but rather the entire series? Like the upcoming Laughing Man movie.
The first Evangelion movie "Death and Rebirth" is basicly a sumation of the series. There would be no point in producing a movie in the style of the Laughing man movie (which collects all of the episodes pertaining to the laughing man incident onto a single disk with the openings and endings removed) because the each episode is, in one way or another, pertainant to the main story line (there are no standalone and complex episodes), so a movie of that sort would just be the entire series. There is an Neon Genesis: Evangelion DVD box set and there will be a DVD collection of the platnum edition episodes coming out in the near future.
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
-Hamlet
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Spica wrote:
Black Mamba wrote:I am interested in this EVA. Did they like make a movie that isn't a sequal to the series, but rather the entire series? Like the upcoming Laughing Man movie.
The first Evangelion movie "Death and Rebirth" is basicly a sumation of the series. There would be no point in producing a movie in the style of the Laughing man movie (which collects all of the episodes pertaining to the laughing man incident onto a single disk with the openings and endings removed) because the each episode is, in one way or another, pertainant to the main story line (there are no standalone and complex episodes), so a movie of that sort would just be the entire series. There is an Neon Genesis: Evangelion DVD box set and there will be a DVD collection of the platnum edition episodes coming out in the near future.
I would like to enjoy the story of EVA, which I hear is good, without having to spend a bunch of money on all the episodes. I'd much rather buy a movie.
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

Black Mamba wrote: I would like to enjoy the story of EVA, which I hear is good, without having to spend a bunch of money on all the episodes. I'd much rather buy a movie.

The platinum edition box should be out in few days. Anime Corner Store asks $67.98 for it, though I'd wait after Christmas and most likely get it in some sale.

I wouldn't have been able to make much sense out of Death & Rebirth without having seen the series, first, despite of it telling basically the same story.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!