Anime Classics

Whatever anime you like!

Moderator: sonic

ghst.01

Post by ghst.01 »

The 4 Samurai X [prelued to RurouniK] OVA's are classics. It's almost essential if you really want to understand Himura's char. throughout the Rurouni series.
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

....to be honest, I think classics vary alot on opinion.

I would say the classics are:

Ghost in the Shell ( even though you have it)
Millenium Actress
Perfect Blue
Akira
Jin Roh ( Must have. Plain. and. simple!)
Voices of a Distant Star - half hour, but classic. No doubt about it!
Vampire Hunter D
Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust
Ninja Scroll - Even though not persicely my favourite anime, best Ninja/samurai one I've seen so far.
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Evangelion (even though I don't like it, there is no denying the fact that it's the biggest anime thing since sliced bread),
Ok, thats it! I am going to buy all the episodes. I've been debating it too long. So i've been looking on amazon and am totally confused.

What is platinum editions?
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ance&s=dvd

This seems to be the "perfect collection"
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ance&s=dvd

What does an EVA fan recommend me buying?
ghst.01

Post by ghst.01 »

What does an EVA fan recommend me buying?
The perfect collection looks like your best bet.
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

Take the Platinum Edition. It has both all the original episodes and all the director's cuts. The thin pak doesn't include any extras, though, or so I've been told.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

I have the thin pack. No extras indeed, but a lot smaller and nicer to handle.

To Sylphi: There is NO WAY in heck I could ever get into Ninja animes. One, they're way too generic most of the time (that's my personal opinion), and two, they're far too easy to figure out, before the events occur. Ninja Scroll only caught my attention, because unlike other Ninja Animes, it just wasn't as boring as the last one seen before hand.

Samurai Champloo! - A must get!!

Sylph, however this is one show I would always reccomend. I love every single part of it, but mainly the character development! I know it's not a movie, but still amazingly good series!

As for evangelion, I bought it, watched it, and was left with one remark at the movie's Evangelion finalle- The end of evangelion:
".....So...what was the big fuss about?..what's so special?"

While indeed, seeming very deep, in my opinion there's only one phylosophy behind it - Shinji needs a therapist because whacking off on top of an unconcious friend is never a yes, Asuka needed a slap of reality due to her expanded personality, and Rei....needs to get the vagina off of her forehead (For those who've seen the End of Evangelion, you'd know what I'm talking about)

Series was much better than the movies, but that's simply my opinion, even though I have every evangelion disk, wether it be director's cut, or movies.

( Evangelion fans will have my neck for this, I bet)
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

oddly enough, this discussion made me want to try writing an "original" ninja piece...
Oh well.
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

simon's ghost wrote:oddly enough, this discussion made me want to try writing an "original" ninja piece...
You would be my hero if you manage to achieve that! :)
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

no kidding.. I would be my own hero!
Oh well.
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

But then you'd cry when all the kids didn't get it and just kept going "it's cool because there's ninjas in it, and I wanna be a ninja 'cos that would be like so cool!" :roll:
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

funny... not so long ago, I told a guy how no one was actaully ever recorded as being killed by a ninja in medieval Japan, so until further notice they are still a myth. The boy was in shock, puzzled. The strangest part of the ninja myth to me is how they came to be righteous warriors at one point. Who the heck turned hitmen into valiant knights? :?
Oh well.
ghst.01

Post by ghst.01 »

The strangest part of the ninja myth to me is how they came to be righteous warriors at one point. Who the heck turned hitmen into valiant knights
A leader who needed hitmen but couldn't risk the PR dip if he made it public or was found out, would be my guess.
Gillsing

Post by Gillsing »

I guess the 'valiant hitman' is a myth similar to the one about the 'happy hooker'. Maybe some people feel that a hitman who only kills other criminals is decent enough to be kind of a hero? At least such a hitman would be badass, and badass is always badass, isn't it? ;)
Recommended cyberpunk:
ImageImage
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

Nah... I meant that whole ninja's code of honor thing you see in kid's ninja movies. "A ninja always protects the innocent!" You know...that stuff.
Oh well.
ghst.01

Post by ghst.01 »

simon's ghost wrote:Nah... I meant that whole ninja's code of honor thing you see in kid's ninja movies. "A ninja always protects the innocent!" You know...that stuff.
:o What the hell? Pftt.. idiots. I see it like superman and batman, only more damaging as kids know that the stereotypical Hero/Villian is mythical bullshit. They dont in the case of these `ninjas`.

On an added note, anyone else tired of this cliche move where the ninjas use stances, or say " Ha " way before they even strike something?