SAC is over :( , what to watch next

Whatever anime you like!

Moderator: sonic

GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

Samurai 7 premiered on Independent Film Channel last night. not too shabby.... I like how they combined the culture and couteur of ancient Japan with futuristic technology. the samaurai mecha rocked!
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

AlphonseVanWorden wrote:An update: I watched the first four episodes of Gankutsuou the other night. All kinds of cool. The first two episodes condense and rework events from Chapters 31-39 of The Count of Monte Cristo, and the series proceeds from that point; a good choice, I think, as this leaves the Count's origin, identity, and motives mysteries for viewers who haven't read the book or seen earlier adaptations to ponder.

I didn't mind the changes to the original plot and characters. In fact, I think the changes made a lot of sense. (I liked the changes to Peppo/Peppino, and I thought referencing the tragic conclusion to a certain Donizetti opera in the opening episode was ironic and brilliant and contributed to the show's brooding, romantic atmosphere; it was also a nice way of acknowledging the literary debt Alexandre Dumas owed to Sir Walter Scott.) Overall, the changes struck me as pretty minor. And there's enough from the original novel in the show to keep me happy.

The look and settings of the series remind me very much of the descriptions in and tone of Bester's The Stars My Destination...

Consider me a convert. I love this show.

SPOILEEEEERS
spoiler wrote: I like that you don't know who the Count is. Though by the 3rd DVD you realize that he's Edmond Dantes. The suspense is that nobody else seems to know it. And even then you aren't really sure
I think they did a good job not revealing the Count's identity at first. It makese sense since the story is being told from Albert's perspective. Poor Mercedes. :(

And I'm glad you like the series. I have another convert. :p
AlphonseVanWorden

Post by AlphonseVanWorden »

And I'm glad you like the series. I have another convert. :p
Heheheh. Your recommendation didn't hurt (and it did add to my desire to see the series), but I'd been wanting to see the show since I saw the trailer on the Appleseed DVD. Unfortunately, the first DVD of the series was released post-Katrina... I've been a little distracted by events in New Orleans, and my anime viewing has suffered for it. Thankfully, a friend who's a fellow Dumas fan developed an almost obsessive longing to see the show... so I hunted down a copy, and we watched it.

But if you're starting some sort of Jeni Nielsen Cult and looking for converts to celebrate the glory of your coolness, I might consider applying for membership... provided you're not requiring tithes, and provided that cultists aren't required to wear sackcloth. Can't let my reading habits and book-buying and multiple other vices suffer, even for the worthiest of belief systems... and sackcloth doesn't really work with my complexion. :P
Such is the soul in the body: this world is like her little turf of grass, and the heaven o'er our heads, like her looking-glass, only gives us a miserable knowledge of the small compass of our prison. - Bosola, in John Webster's The Duchess of Malfi
AlphonseVanWorden

Re: Wantanabe fan

Post by AlphonseVanWorden »

Tonks_kittygoth wrote:Does anyone know what Wantanabe (Bebob, S.Champloo, ?wolfs rain?) is doing next?
I do so love his work.
I think he did work on Escaflone in some capacity, that is probably where that came from.

Sad endings are ok if they fit the plot, I do hate the endless loop endings though. Maybe they are to reflect reincarnation or something, and maybe it is just my thourougly ingrained western linial time mind set comeing out, but I don't like em!
More on the Watanabe front, for fans of Maeda (Gankatsuou) and Morimoto (Memories, Animatrix) as well:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=6158

EDIT: The project is moving forward, but no one's discussing the details. Studio 4° C's Eiko Tanaka mentions in a recent Midnight Eye interview:
Our current project is called Genius Party and it consists of many short works - from 3 to 20 minutes in length - by many different directors that we are compiling. What we hope to do with this is be able to show the world what 4°C is capable of while also doing general promotion.
http://www.midnighteye.com/interviews/eiko_tanaka.shtml

BTW, Watanabe worked as a Unit Director on a couple of Escaflowne episodes. Just means he helped with some of the shots...
Such is the soul in the body: this world is like her little turf of grass, and the heaven o'er our heads, like her looking-glass, only gives us a miserable knowledge of the small compass of our prison. - Bosola, in John Webster's The Duchess of Malfi
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

anyone see Eureka Seven on adult swim... i'm still out to jury on that one.
base of the pillar

Post by base of the pillar »

That was one of those where I'm left scratching my head. Its one of those animes where I wonder why they couldn't spare the main character a hanful of braincells.
"And if we spirits have offended think but this and all is mended. That you have but slumbered heree while these visions did appear."--A Midsummer Night's Dream

History may not repeat itself, but it does rhyme.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

well, i was finally able to get my paws on Gankutsuo...i love it so far. Dumas' Count was always one of my favorite literary figures and i think they did a good job with him. i like where they began the story...it makes the Count much more mysterious...
shadowferret

Post by shadowferret »

Other good things to watch since SAC is over.....

Samurai Champloo, awesome, directed by Shinichiro Watanabe, and there are Hip-Hop Samurai!
Cowboy Bebop, really cool, also directed by Shinichiro Watanabe, and it has Jazz Space Cowboys!
Another good one is Read Or Die....Bibliophile women who manipulate paper...
And then there's Eureka Seven, it's kinda....well... not perfect, but it's okay.
Also, you can finish Inuyasha....but it's too teen drama-ish.
Another one I highly recommend, my favorite anime ever, Paranoia Agent. It is excellente~
base of the pillar

Post by base of the pillar »

And then there's Eureka Seven, it's kinda....well... not perfect, but it's okay.
The only issue I have with that series is the one I stated earlier. I'm amazed at the stupidity of the main character. I end up watching the series just to laugh at him.
"And if we spirits have offended think but this and all is mended. That you have but slumbered heree while these visions did appear."--A Midsummer Night's Dream

History may not repeat itself, but it does rhyme.
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

GhostLine wrote:Samurai 7 premiered on Independent Film Channel last night. not too shabby.... I like how they combined the culture and couteur of ancient Japan with futuristic technology. the samaurai mecha rocked!
I'm so happy everytime someone mentions Samurai7 :D Akira Kurosawa's 'The Seven Samurai' is one of my favourite films and it has been remade, reworked or just parodied so many times. In my opinion this is the best anime to make reference to the Kurosawa film. I particularly like the way they kept the character's of the samurai as they are in the film, but overstated and less nuanced for an anime audience. They even manage to keep some dialougue from the film :) - the master student relationship in the anime is pure awesomenessnessness and it has giantmechasamuraibandits ...how could they go wrong? ;)
Joseph Cambell wrote:Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths.