When you watch SAC -Jap voice or English Dub

Talk about GitS:SAC, 2nd Gig, & SSS here!

Moderator: sonic

headpower

When you watch SAC -Jap voice or English Dub

Post by headpower »

When you watch SAC, do you listen to the Jap Voice or the English Dub. I owned the taiwan version of SAC and 2nd GIG so i never heard the english dub. Are they good? I do own some Region 1 english dub anime, but everytime i try to listen to it, it makes me shiver.
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

I've never heard the english dub track for SAC, Japanese with subtitles everytime. Not a big fan of dub tracks in general as they can be truely abysmal, but they've got an ok cast of voice actors on this one so it might be alright.
Joseph Cambell wrote:Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths.
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

headpower: Please don't use the abbreviation Jap for Japanese. Some people might find it offensive, and I for one don't want anyone being offended around here. :
8)

Anyhow as for the question at hand, I will always be a huge fan of the SAC dub cast. Richard Epcar (Batou) is one of my favorite VAs. The woman they got to play Motoko (Mary Elizabeth McGlynn ??) is also really great.

Some anime is atrocious when it comes to dubs, but it's getting better and better as anime fans demand good dubs, and the voice actors themselves get more comfortable with the process.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

Although i can understand the desire to maintain the original integrity of the show and watch it in Japanese, I'm far too distreacted reading the text instead of taking in the visual moments. That's my huge complaint with the non-english version of Innocence. And I agree with Jeni that the English dub-cast is top-notch. I love them all really.
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

I'm typically not into dubs, as I find changing characters' voices not unlike changing their faces - it makes them subtly different characters. I have watched English dubs at some time or another and on occasion they've been passable or even relatively good, but they never match the original dubs.

Ofcourse living in a country where subtitles are the norm has quite a bit to do with it. I read subs subconsiously, barely noticing that they're there.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
Marf

Post by Marf »

Dubs suck IMO, they rarely capture the emotion of the character like the Japanese voice actors do.

So for me its Japanese Language with English Subs :)

Ditto any foreign film really.
H-street

Post by H-street »

dubs..

the english dubs for SAC are probably the best quality dubs i've heard..

one question i always wanted to ask people are what they preferred on the english translation in the 2nd gig for the individual eleven group..

in the LFM subs, they translated it as the "Particular Eleven".. but the official english translation is the "Individual Eleven"..
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

The voice acting in SAC was actually spectacular in my opinion.
What I truly like most about the english voice cast for SAC is the fact that some of the voice actors have had a near decade of experience with the character they play. For example, Batou's voice actor has managed to truly make Batou sound like someone that if you were to close your eyes would be a person like you and me in real life.

As much as I have a non-specific appreciation for Togusa, I think that his voicing was done best of all.

As far as Motoko, I just simply can't live down the fact that they took away the voice from the first movie. She lost a lot of what made her what she is in my eyes when they changed her voice actress.

marto_motoko
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

marto_motoko wrote:As much as I have a non-specific appreciation for Togusa, I think that his voicing was done best of all.
i SO agree!
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

H-street wrote: one question i always wanted to ask people are what they preferred on the english translation in the 2nd gig for the individual eleven group..

in the LFM subs, they translated it as the "Particular Eleven".. but the official english translation is the "Individual Eleven"..
I prefered them being 'Particularlists' rather than 'individualists' it summed up their agenda better for me.

...not that I've ever seen a fansub... :wink:
Joseph Cambell wrote:Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths.
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

GhostLine wrote:
marto_motoko wrote:As much as I have a non-specific appreciation for Togusa, I think that his voicing was done best of all.
i SO agree!
Yay Crispin Freeman! (OT. I can't belive he played RUDE in Advent Children... pasty little white-fanboy (don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the man, but still XD))
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Jeni Nielsen wrote:
GhostLine wrote:
i SO agree!
Yay Crispin Freeman! (OT. I can't belive he played RUDE in Advent Children... pasty little white-fanboy (don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the man, but still XD))

Oh my flapping goodness! :shock: Togusa, the little mullet-wearing white bread was RUDE? :| ...my world has been shattered.....(How the heck did he make his voice so deep?)

marto_motoko
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

well...

for starters, he IS a voice ACTOR.

sikes :wink:
Oh well.
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

I normally watch the SAC series in English, the English voice actors are some of the best voice actors that make their character's voices sound real and they put the effort in doing the voice overs instead of just reading the lines and not caring what fans will think of them.

When I first watched SAC, I loved the fact that Richard Epcar and William Knight that were still doing the voice overs for their characters from Ghost in the Shell movie. When I heard Motoko Kusanagi's English voice over by Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, I missed the Major's voice by Mimi Woods, but after hearing more of Mary Elizabeth McGlynn's voice, I grew to like Motoko's new voice.
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

simon's ghost wrote:well...

for starters, he IS a voice ACTOR.

sikes :wink:
:P Fine, you got me there, but none the less, he has no similarity from one to the other. Talk about pure talent! :)

marto_motoko