in the shell Forum Index in the shell
Discussions about the many incarnations of Ghost in the Shell, philosophy and more!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GitS 1.5 - Authentic Format

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marto_motoko

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: GitS 1.5 - Authentic Format Reply with quote

Regarding the new Ghost in the Shell Human-Error Processor, the format of the manga will be in the authentic right to left format. I know it doesn't make much of a difference either way, but does anyone have an idea as to why Dark Horse has desided to do that? It doesn't really make much sense that the other two comics were both left to right, and now they change it. Perhaps to give it a better 'manga' feeling? Even thought that doesn't seem like a solid reason for it.

Any ideas are welcome to answer my odd questioning.

marto_motoko

Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jeni Nielsen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: GitS 1.5 - Authentic Format Reply with quote

marto_motoko wrote:
Regarding the new Ghost in the Shell Human-Error Processor, the format of the manga will be in the authentic right to left format. I know it doesn't make much of a difference either way, but does anyone have an idea as to why Dark Horse has desided to do that? It doesn't really make much sense that the other two comics were both left to right, and now they change it. Perhaps to give it a better 'manga' feeling? Even thought that doesn't seem like a solid reason for it.

Any ideas are welcome to answer my odd questioning.

marto_motoko

1) Saves a truckload of time in the editing
2) doesn't result in flipped numbers and images
3) probably due to fan-pandering which was one of the reasons un-flipped manga started being released in the first place.
4)* also with Dark Horse in the past (with Blade of the Immortal) they catered to the manga-ka's wishes and cut up the panels instead of flipping it. Maybe Shirow asked for it to be this way. Ikind of doubt it, but it's a possiblity. Maybe there are some important images that if flipped would result in a different interpretation.
Black Mamba

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is actually good new imo. With the original right-to-left format, the story will flow much better imo. I'm still waiting for a right-to-left version of Ghost in the Shell and Akira. Damn you Dark Horse!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Mamba wrote:
This is actually good new imo. With the original right-to-left format, the story will flow much better imo. I'm still waiting for a right-to-left version of Ghost in the Shell and Akira. Damn you Dark Horse!!

^^ Heheh, that's odd, but I guess then I concider myself weird. I've seen (not read since I don't know Japanese) the original format of the manga, and it seemed perfectly the same to me, except...backwards...or forwards. You know what I mean! Embarassed

But I suppose nowadays the left to right style for manga just isn't there anymore, because of what jeni said: takes too long to edit!

Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    in the shell Forum Index -> The Manga All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: