Episode 26: Endless Gig (Contains spoilers)

Talk about GitS:SAC, 2nd Gig, & SSS here!

Moderator: sonic

james_sb

Post by james_sb »

NotAnAverageAnimeFan wrote: That is why I gave them credit.
Like I said, I won't say anything bad about GITS, I liked it too much. What ever the reason, it made for a good show. And to follow on to the next point..
NotAnAverageAnimeFan wrote: Also, for the record, I would like to point out that I am personally not convinced that Kuze is dead.
Well we could try talk of the pro's and con's of having the Charactor in the background of the next season (I think they've completed his relevance), but we don't have to. I'll just wait till I see SSS... and if he doesn't feature then...
Are you ANTI-POP?
AJB2K3

Post by AJB2K3 »

Without knowing all the reason, the reason she put the ai on the satalite was because all the other ai copys were distroyed and the only way to keep the last copy safe was to store it remotly.
In SAC the tachis were told the finialy had a ghost by the majour so i think that this cyberspace ball is there collective ghost and memories backed up.
NotAnAverageAnimeFan

Post by NotAnAverageAnimeFan »

Yeah, I dont expect Kuze to come back, just like I dont expect Aoi "The Laughing Man(?)" to come back, I was just pointing out he could be "alive," in some form anyway.

B.T.W. Does anyone know what exactly those micromachines do that Kuze got injected with. I mean, they obviously kill people but do they destroy (cyber)brains or do they just cause the heart to stop, or what?
james_sb

Post by james_sb »

Pretend to fix his cyber-brain sclerosis?
Are you ANTI-POP?
Kayjay

Post by Kayjay »

After watching Endless Gig last night, I felt I needed somewhere to discuss the series and found your excellent forum.

After reading some posts I've re-watched the last 2 episodes,and here are my thoughts,feel free to disagree,it you want :).

It seemed to me that the writers were trying to put a SAC spin on the first Ghost in the Shell movie.

The Gouda exercution scene,in the movie you had a hotshot programmer trying to defect to America and is taken out by the Major,and in Sac you had Gouda doing the same thing.The animation of the head shots was handled very similarly,and also the american body guards were carrying what looked to be the same brief-case Uzies.When Motoko jumps through the window,it is also very reminiscent of the signiture scene from GITS(the background is almost identical).

Kuze plan to upload the ghosts of himself and the refugees to the net,and talking about taking the next evolutionary step.That was like the converstaion between the Puppet Master and Motoko where the same idea was discussed. The only explanation of the significance of the apple that jives with me,is that it IS a reference to Adam and Eve.It was Motoko that gave the apple to Kuze,and perhaps the symbolizm of Batoh and the cross shaped girder was trying to give a biblical context to the scene.

I like to think that both Kuze and the tachikomas both did escape to the Net.It certainly looked like the tachikomas where linked to the space that they where reserving for the Major.

Does anybody know if there's any spirital conection with cranes in Japanese folklore? Could shed some light on whether Kuze survives,considering the scene fades to white and focuses on the origami crane.

Am I right in saying that Isakawa,had the real pultonium,and what Batoh had was fake? If so was he taking it to the UN inspectors?

One last thing,who was Batoh alluding to when he commented to Motoko about her zoneing out,and he said "Sounds like somebody elses problem"
(maybe a nod to his alternate self from Innocence?or perhaps the Major from the first movie?).
AJB2K3

Post by AJB2K3 »

For those musing over the apple i will have to advise you look at the book MMI for clarafication or confusion.
If you have read/watched all or most of shirow's work it may help to understand this spiratual connundrum.
Wix

Post by Wix »

Here is what I think:

I believe the Tatchikomas uploaded their AI's into the space they had originally created for the refugees.
I think Batou has loved Motoko for years, but for some reason, neither of them has verbalized the way they feel towards each other to each other. Motoko was willing to grudgingly admit she could open up to someone when she was trapped in the rubble with Kuze: she thought she was going to be obliterated, and the most she would say is "I guess so." This is some serious repression! :lol: On Batous part, he just can't say how he feels at all: in the prequel novel for Innocence, he talks a lot about losing Motoko, and how empty he feels: he also says he doesn't know if he even has a soul, and if he doesn't, how can he love or be loved in return?
I look at his behavior to know how deep his feelings are for Motoko: he is always first to follow her, gets furious when she pulls some amazing but foolhardy manuever, (such as taking on a tank or diving into the Puppetmaster): heck, at the end of Season one, he went gonzo and risked his life just to retrieve her watch from her safe-house! Batou is the one Motoko calls on before anyone to back her up, keep her safe. And though he is perfectly aware that the Major can take care of herself...he's a guy, and a guy who cares for her. He's going to act as her protector no matter what, no matter how little she may need it.
I would say he is defintely jealous of Kuze: but he'd choke to death before he admitted it. Kuze has a special connection to Motoko: Batou doesn't know what it is, but he can sense it, because she acts far away when she is thinking of him.
I wax rhapsodic on this stuff because although I love the philosophy behind GitS, I connect mostly to the relationships in the stories. And isn't that a central component to the GitS universe? What remains in us that is human? And what is more human than love?
Ma Gavte La Nata
Neuromancer

Post by Neuromancer »

I feel a couple of things need to be pointed out. first off, the new green thinktanks are called Fuchikomas. Read the subtitles. Second off, I would say that the ending of the 2nd gig is a leadin to the manga. Thirdly, the Tachikomas have AIs, and their ghosts are a result of the development of their AIs, and as such they can exist on the net, where they basically exist anyway, so they were uploading their memories and their AI/ghost to the data storage space as they brought the satellite down.

Another set of stuff:
-Ishikawa used his cast to knock out the flunky, not the case.
-the airplanes belonged to a 'secret Air Self Defense army unit'

The song that the tachikomas sang translates to:

We're alive, every last one of us,
and we can sing 'cause we're alive!
We're alive, every last one of us,
and we can feel sad 'cause we're alive!
When we hold our hands up to the sun
and peek through our fingers,
We can see the deep red blood
flowing inside!
Even earthworms, even crickets,
and even waterstriders!
We're all alive, every last one of us,
and we're all friends!

and we can laugh 'cause we're alive!
and we can feel happy 'cause we're alive!
When we hold our hands up to the sun
and peek through our fingers,
We can see the deep red blood
flowing inside!
Even dragonflies, even frogs,
and even honey bees!
and we're all friends!
AJB2K3

Post by AJB2K3 »

Neuromancer wrote:I feel a couple of things need to be pointed out. first off, the new green thinktanks are called Fuchikomas. Read the subtitles.
Were all lead to believe ther Uchi because fuchi was shirows red ones.
Neuromancer wrote: Second off, I would say that the ending of the 2nd gig is a leadin to the manga. Thirdly, the Tachikomas have AIs, and their ghosts are a result of the development of their AIs, and as such they can exist on the net, where they basically exist anyway, so they were uploading their memories and their AI/ghost to the data storage space as they brought the satellite down.
The AI are seperate yes but, theres only one chip left (on the satalite)
in the episode where S9 are after ther AI's inventer one pulls of the lid of another to find the chips missing explaining why they keep having out of body experience.
Wix

Post by Wix »

But doesn't the Major have one chip left over from the last Episode of Season one? She took it out of the burning mass that was the Tatchikomas after they saved Batou. I wouldn't put it past the Major to have kept it somewhere. Although, it seems she would have mentioned something about that to Batou or Arimaki.
Ma Gavte La Nata
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

Hardware can always be duplicated. Science isn't magic, where you can't repeat previous results. If the software survives, hardware won't be a problem.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

I don't know why you're galaventing about the tachi, because the answer is in SSS :roll:
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?

ultace

Post by ultace »

what ya mean
Wix

Post by Wix »

I don't know why you're galaventing about the tachi, because the answer is in SSS
Well, probably because we haven't gotten to see it yet, so plbbt. :twisted: IT's not being released here in the US until 2007.

Send me a copy and then I'll not post about it!
Ma Gavte La Nata
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

Wix wrote:
I don't know why you're galaventing about the tachi, because the answer is in SSS
Well, probably because we haven't gotten to see it yet, so plbbt. :twisted: IT's not being released here in the US until 2007.

Send me a copy and then I'll not post about it!
By that, I just meant that there is no need to suppose some possibilities, as the definitive answer is available. I didn't mean to force you to watch it right away :roll:

If you can wait, at least you know that you'll get soon the answer to your question. If you don't (like me for example :wink: ), try to find the movie... yourself.
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?