2nd gig recives MA rating?

Talk about GitS:SAC, 2nd Gig, & SSS here!

Moderator: sonic

Black Mamba

2nd gig recives MA rating?

Post by Black Mamba »

Despite the first DVDs having a 13 and up label, Stand Alone Complex 2nd gig get an on air MA rating. Whats up with this? Is there more adult content to come, or is Adult Swim just playing it safe?
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

In my opinion, Adult Swim is playing it safe, but the time period that it occupies which is 12:30am, I don't see why they are playing it safe in this time period, if SAC was very violent and it was at an earlier time then yes, I would agree with them playing it safe.

Maybe Adult Swim are giving SAC a MA rating after the scene in the first episode when the head of the individual eleven was blown off.
Jigabachi

Post by Jigabachi »

Probably because there are more blood scenes with people's head blown off to pieces. Basically, blood & Gore scenes.
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

Some of the SAC 2nd Gig episodes don't feature any blood scenes, so those episodes get a MA rating then it seems like Adult Swim is playing it very safe and giving the whole season a MA rating.
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

This reminds of that "Jungle Cruise" episode that YTV skiped. Maybe this new caution is brought up by that story.
contact

Post by contact »

The second episode of second GIG has its violent moments, not to mention a taxi-driver edge to it :twisted:
Spica

Post by Spica »

Black Mamba wrote:This reminds of that "Jungle Cruise" episode that YTV skiped. Maybe this new caution is brought up by that story.
My guess would be that there is more gruesome violence on the way, but then again I haven't seen anything past the second DVD volume. I was going to refrence the rather disturbing episode of the first series, "Jungle Cruise," but Black Mamba already beat me to it.

I don't know exactly how the FCC determines a TV shows rating, but maybe SAC was given an MA rating because it possesses a level of complexity suitable for adults (Just a shot in the dark on my part).

Hmm, I wonder what rating they gave Eva. Its got some scenes of brutal violence as well as sexuality (both of which are rather graphic in the End of Evangelion, but I doubt that they'll show that on TV).
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
-Hamlet
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

On the Adult Swim website, the age rating for the Eva episodes is PG
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

but maybe SAC was given an MA rating because it possesses a level of complexity suitable for adults
I seriously doubt that. Unless the "complexity" contains unsuitable language or content I highly doubt the FCC will give a show an MA rating based on its difficult to understand content.

But then again its not too far fetched. They give cartoon ratings based apon age. For example a show like Blues Clues, rated Y, wouldn't be suitable for children over 6. Mainly because children over 6 would show no interest. So the rating system can be used as both a safetly tool, and a guideline for watching.

But then again why would they restrict a younger audience just because they may not understand then contents. I think we're over over analyzing the matter.
Slipstream

Post by Slipstream »

For those Canadians out there, good news (for those who don't already know). Stand Alone Complex is now airing in Canada on YTV. This was a big suprise. Teletoon, once a big suporter of Anime and unafriad of airing adult content unedited (like Spawn), turned their back on Anime...for reasons still unclear. YTV, on the other hand, never tried to reach that niche market before and have been known edit episodes for TV (like that short time when they aired Red Dwarf). This is a real departure this season. Not only are they airing Anime (at night) but they are doing it unedited.

SAC is on THursday evenings. Other shows include With Hunter Robin, Inu-Yasha, Hack/Sign, Gundam Seed, and Naruto...and also the childish ones as well. Just FYI
Creator, Ghost in the Shell D20 RPG
www.serenadawn.com
MiNaeClem

Post by MiNaeClem »

Sad news Slipstream:

YTV has responded regarding the episode of Ghost in the Shell that they skipped last week. "Episode 10 of Ghost in the Shell [Stand Alone Complex] doesn’t have an airdate scheduled on YTV. Our Programming Department just didn’t think the graphic content was appropriate for our network, regardless of the show’s airtime."
Some things are too important to be taken seriously.
Slipstream

Post by Slipstream »

Well, it DOES feature a skinning serial killer. :)
I guess there are limits
Creator, Ghost in the Shell D20 RPG
www.serenadawn.com
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

I read on Anime News Network that YTV is going to air Jungle Cruise episode on December 31st at 1:30am (late night December 30th), this episode is part of a Stand Alone Complex back to back marathon.

The episodes that are in this marathon are

12am- episode 4 Interceptor

12:30am- episode 5 Decoy

1am- episode 6 Meme

1:30am- episode 10 Jungle Cruise

If you want to read the article for yourself, go to http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=7928 and scroll down.
Bringin It Down

Post by Bringin It Down »

Motoko2030 wrote:I read on Anime News Network that YTV is going to air Jungle Cruise episode on December 31st at 1:30am (late night December 30th), this episode is part of a Stand Alone Complex back to back marathon.

The episodes that are in this marathon are

12am- episode 4 Interceptor

12:30am- episode 5 Decoy

1am- episode 6 Meme

1:30am- episode 10 Jungle Cruise

If you want to read the article for yourself, go to http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=7928 and scroll down.
Thats awesome. I'm kind of new to Ghost in the Shell, and I plan on getting the entire series once I get the money. I really need to see Innocence first though.
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

Last night's episode called Cash Eye had a TV-14 rating, so it looks like Adult Swim is doing the age rating on an episode to episode bases.

Welcome to the forum Bringin It Down, if you have any questions about Ghost in the Shell, feel free to ask them and someone will answer them.