Different versions of GitS?

Discussions about the first film (Ghost in the Shell) and the second (Innocence)

Moderator: sonic

Qwuff

Different versions of GitS?

Post by Qwuff »

Hi, I was reading on the IMDb forums and evidently there are two different versions of GitS1, and I can't seem to find anywhere to buy the other version, and I was wondering if someone could help me with it.

A shortened version of the posts:
"Searching for "Ghost in the Shell" brings up both a 1995 version (77 minutes) and a version released in 2000 (111 minutes).
Any thoughts? Which is the better edit (if two different edits really do exist)."

Then a reply:
"Go for the longer one, it delves much further into the story, characters and philosophy of the story. The original version is the longer one, however for american audiences, it was shortened when put onto VHS (The distributors felt that the movie was deep and that was why it didnt do well in cinemas) so they cut out many aspects.

Then later on they re-released the original onto DVD in its original format. The original is much longer and lengthy and there are parts that drag on for a bit, but its the true version, whereas the shortened is just if you want action with a little bit of story."

So evidently there are too different versions, but it seems the shortened version is still being sold, and I don't know how to make sure the one I'm buying is the longer version. Any help?
Gillsing

Post by Gillsing »

I had no idea. That sure explains why the version I saw felt a bit too cut up. A pox upon the responsible scissormen! May someone cut into them the same way they decided to cut into my viewing experience. :x
Recommended cyberpunk:
ImageImage
Spica

Post by Spica »

Hmm, is there a link you could post that would give us more information.

Maybe the longer version was a directors cut. If we are talking about the VHS versions, there was a special edition that had an extra section at the end about the making of Ghost in the Shell.

I do however think that the version that I saw, the 77 minute version, was very consise, which was one of the factors that made it a masterpiece. I do know that for the American version they replaced the end theme (which is the same as the opening theme, so your not missing out on much) with a song by U2.
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
-Hamlet
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

I never heard of two versions of Ghost in the Shell, I would like to see the longer version of GitS, there was something that I notice a while ago, I came across a screenshot from the film where Motoko was underwater without the floatation suit and she was holding something in her hand, I will see if I can find that image again.
MiNaeClem

Post by MiNaeClem »

Well, I watched the Japanese version only and it's runtime was 83 mins. I searched IMDB and the Us version was said to have a runtime of 82 min. Didn't see much difference... So maybe that post was really really old or only applicable for VHS? The Europe version DVD I have also says 83 min.
Some things are too important to be taken seriously.
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

The only two versions of Ghost in the Shell is in one of the versions, the Puppet Master's voice is female instead of male and the dialogue line when Motoko tells the pilot to blast the skyline.
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Motoko2030 wrote:The only two versions of Ghost in the Shell is in one of the versions, the Puppet Master's voice is female instead of male and the dialogue line when Motoko tells the pilot to blast the skyline.
An american dubbed verison? I always thought there was only one! I've never even heard of this....
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

Black Mamba, if you have the Ghost in the Shell Special Edition DVD, check out the trailer for the Ghost in the Shell film, the English dub differences are featured in that trailer.
Qwuff

Post by Qwuff »

Hmm. So evidently those people were mistaken? The only sources I've got is that guy who said the longer version was better, and blockbuster.co.uk.

http://blockbuster.co.uk/searchandbrows ... eindex%3d0

I suppose it's complete enough as we've seen it, eh?

Thanks people.
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

What I think is that the running time of 111 minutes includes the actual film plus the making of special.
MiNaeClem

Post by MiNaeClem »

I agree with Motoko2030. I'm sure they counted the trailer and the making of the movie or some specials like that.
Some things are too important to be taken seriously.
Spica

Post by Spica »

Motoko2030 wrote:Black Mamba, if you have the Ghost in the Shell Special Edition DVD, check out the trailer for the Ghost in the Shell film, the English dub differences are featured in that trailer.
I noticed that and thought it was weird. I had assumed that it was a dub only used for the trailer (because they hadn't started dubbing the movie yet when they made it, or something like that).
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
-Hamlet
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Is there really a reason why theres two versions? Anyone know?
Gillsing

Post by Gillsing »

Motoko2030 wrote:What I think is that the running time of 111 minutes includes the actual film plus the making of special.
Aw, no evil scissormen to blame then? :oops: (I wasn't sharpening any cutting utensils)
Recommended cyberpunk:
ImageImage
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

My guess on why there are two English dubbed versions is that they were not happy with the dialogue in some scenes, so they changed it after they dubbed the voices for that scene, as for changing the voice of the Puppetmaster from a female to a male, maybe they decides that it will better for the Puppetmaster to have a male voice, since he, if u can it a he merges with the Major to create a new entity (I could be wrong)