Thermoptic Camo

Talk about GitS:SAC, 2nd Gig, & SSS here!

Moderator: sonic

douyang

Thermoptic Camo

Post by douyang »

If thermoptic camo is so effective that you can't be detected by radar, infrared, or regular eyes, then why don't people who use it leave it on all the time? We see section 9 constantly switching it off once they make their presence known. Even if they know you're there, they'd have a hell of a time trying to shoot you when they can just barely make out your outline by looking hard enough.
Tonks_kittygoth
Location: The dark dark woods where the kitten monsters live....or happy la la land, my summer home.

Post by Tonks_kittygoth »

The same reason the heroine trips when the axe murder is after her, it makes a better story.

Maybe it is like Klingon/Romulan cloaking devices, you cant use them when attacking...(joking here)
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man.
Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as
one wants to live and not die, so do other
creatures." - His Holiness The Dalai Lama
douyang

Post by douyang »

And I thought it was something intelligent. I now have that much less respect for the series. Thank you. :roll:
Tonks_kittygoth
Location: The dark dark woods where the kitten monsters live....or happy la la land, my summer home.

ooooooooh sorry...

Ummm how bout this, once past the defenses of their erstwhile opponant they rely more on the physical intimidation to terrify?

(or for the Major her pink panty outfit to distract the opponant while she kicks them in the head?)

Does that make it better?

I bet Lightice or Al V.W. has some real explaination for you. :l-man:
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

It could be that it takes power from the user's body, there are clearly two types of the thermoptic camo the one that is worn as clothing like a poncho e.g. the type worn by the narc cops, and then there is the type that full body cyborgs like motoko and batou use which in part seems intergrated into their bodies. It wouldn't take a huge leap to suppose that this latter type is probably meant to take it's power supply from the user, in which case leaving it on would probably have some detrimental effects like the user becoming exhausted or something like that anyway :) personally i prefer Tonks kittygoth's explaination...
Joseph Cambell wrote:Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths.
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

Thermo-optic Camouflage can be detected by the naked eye by looking for a blur when the person wearing it is moving and it can be detected by infra red, since in the Ghost in the Shell 1995 movie, the tank was able to detect Motoko wearing Thermo-optics by using its thermal imaging device.

Maybe, the reason why Section 9 members turn it off is to save power, it has to be a big power drain on their internal power source, if the thermo-optics is built into the cybernetic body and another reason why they would need to turn it off is to allow people to see them, if they needed to be rescued by Section 9.
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

Thermo-optic Camouflage can be detected by the naked eye by looking for a blur when the person wearing it is moving and it can be detected by infra red, since in the Ghost in the Shell 1995 movie, the tank was able to detect Motoko wearing Thermo-optics by using its thermal imaging device.

Umm...If I remember correctly, that tank wasn't able to see Motoko before her thermo-optic camouflage went off. Remember, we see from the tank's point of view, when she becomes visible?
Also, I'm fairly sure that it's called thermo-optic camouflage because it also disguises the thermal signal - that is, the infra-red.

As for the reason, why it isn't always on, good explanations have already been given. Though I need to point out, that the camo works somewhat differently in different continuums. In the manga it requires full-body suit, while in the movie it's also applied in cyborg skin - nudity is required for obvious reasons. In the SAC, however, the camo apparently works despite of what it's users are wearing.

I doubt that it's use could cause actual exhaustion in a cyborg - there is no way that the engineers would make it use the same power-source as the muscles. However, the batteries could well run out. Also, there is the chance of friendly fire. Unless you know exactly where your teammates are, you might risk hitting them, when they are invisible.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

While normally detectable by certain heat imaging optics some suits can be made which reduce IR signature
I got this from http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Fuji/3598/gits3.htm

If what the person who designed the site is correct then the thermo-optic Camouflage is vulnerable to be scanned by certain thermal imaging optics, the thermo-optic camouflage would have to mask the wearer's heat signiture in order to be fully invisible.
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

Motoko2030 wrote: If what the person who designed the site is correct then the thermo-optic Camouflage is vulnerable to be scanned by certain thermal imaging optics, the thermo-optic camouflage would have to mask the wearer's heat signiture in order to be fully invisible.

Do note that it's a fansite and it's creator has made up what he didn't find from offical sources. And since he was making RPG material, he had to keep game balance in mind.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
Elmo

powerdrain and overheating

Post by Elmo »

lol, I doubt this is what they had in mind. But if it masks heat then they could be turning it off as a comfort thing. Most wearable items that stop heat from being detected from infrared are incredibly hot inside and noone wants to see a sweaty cyborg.. ..well maybe kusanagi :oops: :lol:
douyang

Post by douyang »

What are the official sources on this?
Tonks_kittygoth

What are the official sources on this?
Officially, he likes stinky sweaty girls... :shock:
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

lol, you make it sound so depraved. :)
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

During the episode of SAC 2nd Gig called "Nuclear Power", the team leader of Section 4 said something like to the rest of his team "Don't use the thermo-optic camo just incase we hit each other."
douyang

Post by douyang »

I'm wondering how you could go about finding the position of someone using thermoptics, aside from low tech tricks like turning on the fire sprinklers or covering an area with chaff to make them visible. Does any type of heat or thermal imaging work? What about sonar or other electromagnetic spectrums? Since they have the technology and it's clearly used by people other than the Japanese military (even Kuze the terrorist has access to it), they must have developed some effective countermeasures by now.