Proto - the dumbest plot twist ever? SPOILERS

Talk about GitS:SAC, 2nd Gig, & SSS here!

Moderator: sonic

james_sb

Re: Proto - the dumbest plot twist ever? SPOILERS

Post by james_sb »

Elmo wrote: it's like;

*zap*
Image : Proto, you dead?
Image : Nope
Image : Robot?
Image : nah bioroid.
Image : K THX bye!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
Are you ANTI-POP?
drescu

Post by drescu »

First post.

Be gentle.

On the subject of plausibility, don't they have surge protectors for 'offensive firewalls' in the future? :D

I'm surprised this thread is as long as it is, I took the whole incident as surprising because Aramaki didn't know about Proto's status as a bioroid and that bioroids aren't ever mentioned (even in passing) during SAC.
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

It was simply showing the diversity of technological branches that people can go down, and what further progress can be made. I see no twisting in it. :?

:gabu: 9/10 Gabriels agree, there is no plot twist in it. Simply enrichment info for the interested mind.

mm
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
AJB2K3

Post by AJB2K3 »

Aramike had to know about him for him to become a member of tech.
Bigger twist
Bishop is a biodroid clone of THE MR Bishop (se AVP, not as good as aliens)
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

Apparently (yes, it must be true, it's in Wikipedia!! ;) ), if you compare the comparative timelines of Appleseed and GiTS all the events mentioned in the history of GiTS are also mentioned in Appleseed's timeline. I dunno where they got he supporting evidence from for that chestnut, I'd guess from looking into Appleseed (which I haven't really save for watching thew 2004 movie).

It makes sense then that bioroids appear in GiTS/SAC. It's a subtle cross-reference I feel, rather than a plot twist :)
[MKFC] [BFC] [NINf] [BID] [TMDDFCA] [LMFC]
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
FainaruFantaji

Post by FainaruFantaji »

Not the dumbest. I didn`t even think that it was a subplot. Proto was a good supporting character and as most of you have already said usage of bioroids showed the level of technology.
Elmo_Redux

Post by Elmo_Redux »

:) I guess i've been outvoted on the dumbness of it then. Well, I conceed it does make a little sense if it's a link to appleseed.
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

While I don't think it was dumb, per se, it wasn't that well carried off in the confined timescale of the episode. it was poorly explained, and rushed a bit, it's something that you just wouldn't normally have tried to cram into such a hectic episode and scene. I guess they put it in there as they had to get it in 'somewhere' and that was the only place it seemed to apply.

In an odd way, Proto kinda reminds me of Bishop in Aliens. I think maybe that was intentional?
[MKFC] [BFC] [NINf] [BID] [TMDDFCA] [LMFC]
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

I like Proto but I will admit that the dialog used when they introduced him as a bio-droid was really kind of stupid. As pointed out in the first post :lol:
The Hokie Pokie "IS" what it's all About.
M4nu3l

Post by M4nu3l »

Plot-twist? nah.

Use-less? Not entirely. I think it's one of those quirky interludes that adds a smidgen of depth into their lives.
Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Re: Proto - the dumbest plot twist ever? SPOILERS

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

james_sb wrote:
Elmo wrote: it's like;

*zap*
Image : Proto, you dead?
Image : Nope
Image : Robot?
Image : nah bioroid.
Image : K THX bye!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
Love it! I want a whole set of those characters!

The bit with Proto seems just sort of thrown in ... and like his name didn't make it retroactively obvious.

(Sorry--just read this post, since I've only just finished 2nd Gig.)

--Jeff
Jeff Georgeson
Quantum Tiger Games
www.quantumtigergames.com
the cat is out of the box
Torukey

Post by Torukey »

I don't think Proto was a sub-plot. I think he was placed in the show for a specific reason, which was to allude to the future of Humanity, Robotics and perhaps even the future of the show itself. GiTS is all about analyzing consciousness and what makes us human, and Proto was perhaps the biggest threat to self-imposed human value in the show. Aramaki was shocked because I don't think he even knew that Bioroids were even being developed.
There's also another reason why Aramaki would have acted surprised...
In the show, there are some subtle hints that characters can tell cyborgs apart from humans. There's probably some in the manga too, but since I haven't read any of it, I'm not sure. Obviously someone like Aramaki who works in the government and is very much in touch with new technologies would have been able to tell something/someone like Proto apart from a human like himself. But he couldn't, and that's what surprised him.
Another reason I think they threw in Proto was because the idea of a bioroid or robotic rights could be a "powder-keg issue" in the third season, if it ever gets made. I wouldn't be surprised if religious organizations or individualists wouldn't be too pleased, and wouldn't be afraid to let it show!
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

I didn't catch that Aramaki was surprised. Maybe that will be my escuse to re-watch the whole series again :)

Anyway, the Time of Eve anime is exploring exactly that - when you can't tell a human from a robot, how do you deal with emotional attachments.

I dunno if ToE is going to go as deeply into their issue at GitS went into theirs, but by limiting themselves to one subject, perhaps 6 episodes is enough to bring it all out?
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
M4nu3l

Post by M4nu3l »

Is it just me. or do all the red coat engineers act robotic anyway?
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

M4nu3l wrote:Is it just me. or do all the red coat engineers act robotic anyway?
Maybe they watch Star Trek and know the dangers of a red coat getting involved with the plot?

And yes, I agree they do.
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.