Proto - the dumbest plot twist ever? SPOILERS

Talk about GitS:SAC, 2nd Gig, & SSS here!

Moderator: sonic

Elmo

Proto - the dumbest plot twist ever? SPOILERS

Post by Elmo »

didn't it jar with anyone else the whole mini plot twist in the last episode about Proto really being a bioroid? they radically change a character in the space of a few sentences and then never mention it again, it's beyond bizarre.

it's like;

*zap*
Image : Proto, you dead?
Image : Nope
Image : Robot?
Image : nah bioroid.
Image : K THX bye!

writers have been lynched for less :?
Gillsing

Post by Gillsing »

Meh, I didn't care. Didn't twist the plot for me, I treated it as extra information. Wonderful new technology and all that. Be amazed, behold the future of the future! 8)
Recommended cyberpunk:
ImageImage
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

Yeah, I didn't treat it as real subplot, either. It was just a little more info on the new, revolutionary technology. It added a little drama to the scene and since Aramaki was apparently already aware of Proto's nature, there was no need to take the matter futher.

I found it far more sensible, than the scene in episode 21, where Batou hits Kuze's face and states that the only way to make a cyborg unconsious is to cause a concussion. Who talks like that in middle of a fight?
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
Neuromancer

Post by Neuromancer »

Damn, they 'borrowed' Bioroids from Appleseed :?
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

heh, I thought proto was meant to be an AI anyway... :)
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

Yes, they borrowed bioroid from Appleseed but I like the fact that Proto is a bioroid, he is a synthetic human that connects to computers and it makes a reference to another one of Shirow's best manga series, Appleseed.
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

Neuromancer wrote:Damn, they 'borrowed' Bioroids from Appleseed :?

Well, they were doing a homage. Hardly a negative thing.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

I like the fact that the SAC writers played homage to Appleseed and I find nothing bad about one series respecting another series by playing homage to it.
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

It's not nessecerily a homage to appleseed, bioroids aren't a unique concept to shirow. It's pretty much the standard fiction word for a creature of biorobotics and has been used in many fictional settings. In anime I know it was at the least used in 'The Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross'(a truly terrible Mecha series) and Robotech before appleseed used it.

...I still think it's a pointless bit of deus ex though :P
Joseph Cambell wrote:Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths.
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

Elmo wrote: It's not nessecerily a homage to appleseed, bioroids aren't a unique concept to shirow.

The term bioroid is most definately unique to Shirow - bio-androids aren't that unique. Besides, a homage does most sense, considering that SAC is based on Shirow's work, as well.

Since it's not given as a miraculous solution for a plot-twist, it really cannot be considered a deus ex machina.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
Marf

Post by Marf »

Lightice wrote:

Well, they were doing a homage. Hardly a negative thing.
Reminded me more of Bishop from the Alien films.
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

Lightice wrote:

Since it's not given as a miraculous solution for a plot-twist, it really cannot be considered a deus ex machina.
hence 'pointless'. :wink: keeping with the god machine analogy it's like writing into a storyline the gods decending from the heavens themselves just to say hello before dissappearing again. If they're going to suddenly reveal that a regular character is an artificial life form and a very specific subcategory of artificial life form at that, then it should at least have some small ramifications for the plot. None of the characters do anything after his big reveal that they wouldn't have done beforehand. It just seems to me like having a plot-twist for the sake of having a plot-twist.
Marf wrote:Reminded me more of Bishop from the Alien films.
lol, me too. But then again so do most AIs because Bishop is a beacon of awesomeness . :D
Joseph Cambell wrote:Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths.
Marf

Post by Marf »

I dont see it as a plot twist though, the story did not change based around the revelation that Proto was a bioroid. The story just continued as if nothing had happened.

I do wonder why they included the scene. *shrugs*
miki-chan

Post by miki-chan »

I thought he was too purty to be human. But this does shoot my theory that Proto is Legolas' long-lost twin brother all to hell...
(BTW Elmo: great use of teh chibis! :lol: )
"Smoke and idiots love high places."--Batou
Tonks_kittygoth
Location: The dark dark woods where the kitten monsters live....or happy la la land, my summer home.

Post by Tonks_kittygoth »

elmo wrote: Bishop is a beacon of awesomeness .
Huzzah to that!

I also never thought Proto was human either, he doesnt act human, plus he had a pretty obvious connection to the Tachi's. I actually thought he was a new kind of Tachicoma.

He did manage to help them quite a bit with his computer knowledge, but why they wrote in the getting zapped like that, Im not sure.

Surely not the dummest plot twist ever, How bout the Precious moments Alien baby in Alien 4.... giving cute eyes to Ripley... mommy mommy, let me rip out your intestines mommy.... or for that matter the half alien Ripley....

Or all of Terminator 2... dont get me started.... grrrrrrrr
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man.
Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as
one wants to live and not die, so do other
creatures." - His Holiness The Dalai Lama