GITS Pinball Machine Project - help needed

General discussion about Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

Fortytwo

GITS Pinball Machine Project - help needed

Post by Fortytwo »

Hello,
I know I'm a new member here. But also a fan. I have decided to build a custom pinball based on ghost in the shell. For the majority of the material I'll draw from sac but won't limit myself to it.
I want to share my progress but also ask for help. I hope to get better ides to incorporate every place I can. I am also looking for some help with the art. I am kicking around cabinet art at the moment. As soon as I have something I want to get it printed and installed.

https://youtu.be/wc7MEMxjZsU

Please take a look.
Thanks
Ed
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

That looks really cool!

Half of what Section 9 does is online, maybe you could set up some kind of complex event where you "hack" something to make the ground assault available.
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
Fortytwo

Post by Fortytwo »

Good idea.
The upper playfeild is going to showcase locking three balls in an intergate. This is simulating a hack or dive. But I can incorporate our though in it starting a “ground assault”. We are ready let’s move in.
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

Fortytwo wrote:Good idea.
The upper playfeild is going to showcase locking three balls in an intergate. This is simulating a hack or dive. But I can incorporate our though in it starting a “ground assault”. We are ready let’s move in.
"dive" would be great text for going under something! I'd forgotten that language.

If there was some way to trap a ball and eject it from a semi-random/hidden hole so you don't know exactly where it'll come out you could call that engaging thermoptic camoflage.

Maybe a popup that with has a bad guy or a hostage and you do not want to hit the hostage.

Can you get access to any 3d printed components? If you can get clear plastic ramps and things you could light up moving targets from below (I have zero clue as to how hard it is to program a pinball machine, so these might be lunatic ideas) and give points based on hitting the right target.

I saw this one online and liked their clear ramps.

People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

Cool project! Sadly, I know next to nothing about setting up pinball machines, so I'll just be applauding from the sidelines. :)
Jeff Georgeson
Quantum Tiger Games
www.quantumtigergames.com
the cat is out of the box
Fortytwo

Post by Fortytwo »

Well I have done a lot since that video. New video up and yes the eighth ramp is the DIve ramp. And I have a TOC shot too.

But keep ideas to keep it SAC coming.

https://youtu.be/K7_Teccd6sw
Fortytwo

Post by Fortytwo »

Clear ramps will not be likely. Stainless is easier to work with and holds up real well. I do plan on hiding my TOC shot with a color matched door. Back lit when it’s active.
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

Watched the new video. The game play is really coming along! Please do keep us in the loop - I subscribed to your channel too.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

Beautiful work. It would be cool if/when player does something "wrong" it grabs the attention of The Laughing Man and the TLM symbol pops up onscreen and other indications somehow...and you lose control of your flippers for a brief period.
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

GhostLine wrote:Beautiful work. It would be cool if/when player does something "wrong" it grabs the attention of The Laughing Man and the TLM symbol pops up onscreen and other indications somehow...and you lose control of your flippers for a brief period.
Laughing man or the Project 3501 AI/Puppet Master (although that element is already used for some targets). Or what about the "forced transfer" from the Chat Chat Chat episode. Even the major was forced into that by the Laughing Man.

There was one game I played in the 80s that had an electromagnet in the middle of the open center field. Once triggered it could "lock" a ball there. It was slightly off center so it would release your ball down to the flipper. I wish I could remember the name of it.
Fortytwo

Post by Fortytwo »

I have been working too much to keep you guys up to date. I currently have the thing torn apart and replacing alot of parts.
I was thinking of the force transfer in the end of the chat room episode. What about the “ah ha” video then focus on he match number after game is over?
I have a new shot not wired in yet that will be a wrong exit from the upper playfeild. Is there ever a laughing man laugh? Otherwise I was thinking of using the reallly annoying laugh of Kim the hacker in insurrection.
He laughing man will be referenced more in the story mode gameplay too. Don’t worry there. I have some fun ideas I can’t commit to doing. Don’t know if I can program it. I want a mode where your chasing the laughing man. (After the assaanatikn attempt) and a camera places your picture on the screen obstructed by the logo. Then if you fail or when it will fade the logo away “exposing” the laughing man.

Another week and I can power it up. Looking real different. I also realized I HAVE to have ceo Jameson on there somewhere.

Thanks for watching more videos when I get it back together.
Keep ideas coming. Can’t guarentee I’ll use them. Also any photoshop gurus. I have 7 weeks until this will be on display at MGC in Milwaukee!!! Would like some cabinet art.
Fortytwo

Post by Fortytwo »

Magnets haven’t been on the idea list yet. But for me personally not a Hugh priority. Once I get it together I may add some.

Ha ha. We are getting hacked!!!

Also rewatching sac 2. Memories when the major gets hacked and can’t connect. I’m using that screen shot somewhere. Maybe end of game. Or tilt.
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

I love the idea of putting the player in the game with the logo over their face! do they get to complete something to prevent themselves from being exposed? I've never seen a pinball game incorporate the player before - that is a very new sounding idea!

On one hand you could do some clever kind of facial recognition to put the logo in the right place, or you could just put the logo where the face ought to be. Clever vs practical is always a programmers dilemma.
Fortytwo

Post by Fortytwo »

If anyone wants to see the game in person. Or just like all types of gaming. It will be in Milwaukee at the Midwest Gaming Classic. It’s really a cool show. Worth a trip.
As long as it’s in one peice.

https://www.midwestgamingclassic.com

I have some really fancy ideas with facial recognition. Knowing the player from before. Make things harder for better players. Etc. But that is a ways down the road. I am still rewiring. I plan on posting an update video this weekend. Just a quick one.
Fortytwo

Post by Fortytwo »

Been bustin ASS on he game. I am holding back a lot on the Pinball forums but for you guys. New decals on the entire game. Section 9 logo speaker grills a tachikoma model and special art on upper playfeild. I’ll post a video in my channel to go live Saturday morning.