SAC 2nd Gig episode 20 - Fabricated Fog

Talk about GitS:SAC, 2nd Gig, & SSS here!

Moderator: sonic

Motoko2030

SAC 2nd Gig episode 20 - Fabricated Fog

Post by Motoko2030 »

Another great SAC 2nd Gig episode, great action scenes with the Tachikomas and Batou in the nuclear submarine bay.

The scenes with Motoko visiting the hacker with the dolls is exactly the same as in the first Ghost in the Shell manga except in the manga, he is alive, the scene with Batou and Saito on top looking down into the deep column is very similar to the manga, the same with the look of the Russian cyborg and the fight with the armed suits. I am excited that they can get scenes and characters to look just like what I read in the manga.
douyang

Post by douyang »

Awesome episode. I loved how we got to see familiar characters from the Manga and the action scenes. I've never seen a Tachikoma engage in hand to hand combat with another landmate. I only wish they could have developed the minor characters in this episode better, especially Koil Kraznov. I felt that guy had some real potential, hopefully we'll see a little more of him.

I also love where they're taking Kuze's character. The whole legendary revolutionary they're making out of him, the whole mystique surrounding him like his massive adrenaline levels and his quiet yet compelling presence and interaction with others. The scope of what he seeks to do, literally transforming the world to fit his ideals. The fact that he literally put together this whole revolution on his own.
As opposed to when he was first introduced, as what appeared to be a another pawn of gohda, he now appears to be a major player and force in and of himself due to his own ideals and personality rather then Gohda's virus, possibly with an agenda Gohda never planned for. It's going to be interesting to see where he takes us.

What I didn't take to in this one was how Batou reacted to Kuze. He lets the terrorists make off with two suitcases full of plutonium just so he can pursue his personal vendetta with the man who he holds responsible for the death of a rookie under his charge. What the hell? What is this unprofessional bullshit! How does this man keep his job? I can understand being over emotional at times since it's his character, but this is ridiculous and contrived, especially since the rookie never even got any character development, giving us no reason to believe Batou (or the audience) should care about him that much.
base of the pillar

Post by base of the pillar »

They Stole that rounding off into a seperate account idea from Office Space.
"And if we spirits have offended think but this and all is mended. That you have but slumbered heree while these visions did appear."--A Midsummer Night's Dream

History may not repeat itself, but it does rhyme.
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

Not the first time that an idea from another film has been used in the SAC 2nd Gig episodes, they used ideas from the Ocean Eleven film in the Cash Eye episode, same with the Night Cruise episode, when they used aspects from Taxi Driver and the Natural Enemy episode, when they used aspects from Matrix 1 movie.

To me, it seemed a bit ironic that a super class A hacker would be using floppy disks as a storage medium.
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

Motoko2030 wrote:To me, it seemed a bit ironic that a super class A hacker would be using floppy disks as a storage medium.
I suppose it's a good defense to use something people aren't expecting.

A good episode though with lot's of fun action elements and strangely alot of cool light animations :) episodes '19' through to '20 part II' are among my favourites of the series, it was really a brave decision that their writers allowed Kuze to run rings around section9 & motoko and IMO it really paid off.
Joseph Cambell wrote:Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths.
Gillsing

Post by Gillsing »

base of the pillar wrote:They Stole that rounding off into a seperate account idea from Office Space.
Or from Superman III, which is the movie that the characters in Office Space stole it from. Credit where credit is due. :wink:
Recommended cyberpunk:
ImageImage
miki-chan

Post by miki-chan »

Whee, more manga characters make it to the small screen. They did a good job with Koil, Aramaki's Russian friend, and the weird little beady-eyed thug who takes Motoko to meet w/ the hacker.
The hacker's "pets" were pretty cool too. Serious "EEEeeewww" factor when one of them starts snuggling up to him, apparently blissfully ignorant that he's gone to that big server in the sky.
And we get to see Proto again, which is always a good thing (Proto fangirl alert! pant,pant), but I kinda wish they'd give him more to do. So little character development, he's almost like a male version of the A.I. ladies... :?

Have to agree with douyang on Batou's faceoff with Kuze. I know the Big Guy's pretty easily manipulated, but I can't believe he'd let those guys run off with the plutonium like that.
base of the pillar wrote:
They Stole that rounding off into a seperate account idea from Office Space.

Or from Superman III, which is the movie that the characters in Office Space stole it from. Credit where credit is due.
Yes, Pop (culture) Will Eat Itself! :lol:
"Smoke and idiots love high places."--Batou
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

Does anyone know the name of the hacker who was used that attack barrier on the super class A hacker with the dolls and Motoko?

I liked the music track when Kuze met the Russian cyborg, does anyone know the name of that music track?
douyang

Post by douyang »

There's something that's been bothering me about the 2nd GIG, it's that it's clear that the writers are sending a political message, but I can't get a clear picture of what it is. In this episode I got the feeling that they were out to criticize their own government and populace due to what Kuze says about the Japanese having a "phony society" where the masses refuse to accept the ugly truth about themselves and the world they live in and only listen to what they want to hear.

Could this have something to do with Japan's WW2 history and the atrocities committed by the Japanese military? Or with Japan's traditionally xenophobic policies and attitudes towards foreigners, as exemplified by isolationism that had to be ended through the threat of naval bombardment by American gunships in 1854?

I find it interesting that in episode 14: Poker Face it is mentioned by the tachikomas that Japan wants a type of payback against America for how world war 2 ended via the renegotiation of the security treaty to make up for their "loss of face". Does anyone know what this would be about?
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

douyang wrote:What I didn't take to in this one was how Batou reacted to Kuze. He lets the terrorists make off with two suitcases full of plutonium just so he can pursue his personal vendetta with the man who he holds responsible for the death of a rookie under his charge.

Well, remember, that capturing Kuze is the reason why they are there, in the first place Revolutionary leader is usually a better catch than his underlings, anyway. And besides, Batou knows that he must go through Kuze to get the guys with suitcases.
Does anyone know the name of the hacker who was used that attack barrier on the super class A hacker with the dolls and Motoko?

Do you mean the hacker who was fried? He was called Khrolden (spelling?) in the manga and I think, also in the episode. If you mean the guy who fried him, he was one of those bizzare hacker-hulks Gouda put to work, a bit earlier. Employees who've gone a bit too far in imitating their boss, I guess... :roll:
I liked the music track when Kuze met the Russian cyborg, does anyone know the name of that music track?

I can't remember it's name, but I know it's on the third OST.
There's something that's been bothering me about the 2nd GIG, it's that it's clear that the writers are sending a political message, but I can't get a clear picture of what it is.

Most likely because they have more than one. To me it appears that they're primarily critizising their own nation's shortcomings, including the xenophobic attitudes, leading to conflicts, though one of the things they also appear to be critisizing Japan over is too great dependence and trusts towards the US.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
douyang

Post by douyang »

Lightice wrote: Well, remember, that capturing Kuze is the reason why they are there, in the first place Revolutionary leader is usually a better catch than his underlings, anyway. And besides, Batou knows that he must go through Kuze to get the guys with suitcases.
So why not shoot the guys that take the briefcases before they get away? And besides, it's pretty clear to me that Batou has no intention of taking Kuze alive. He wants his head. If that was the case, why didn't Batou just blow them all away? How does plutonium react to bullets? And even if shooting the plutonium would kill them all, why wouldn't Batou be able to avoid hitting it?

I saw a pic for episode 21 that indicates that Batou is actually going to try to knife-fight the guy instead of doing the smart thing and shooting him or capturing him like he's supposed to.
Jigabachi

Post by Jigabachi »

douyang wrote: I saw a pic for episode 21 that indicates that Batou is actually going to try to knife-fight the guy instead of doing the smart thing and shooting him or capturing him like he's supposed to.
Spoiler

Because Kuze knocks his gun away and forces Batou to engage him in CQC.
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

douyang wrote: So why not shoot the guys that take the briefcases before they get away?

Taking his attention off Kuze would be a very stupid thing to do. He's the most dangerous person in that group.
And besides, it's pretty clear to me that Batou has no intention of taking Kuze alive. He wants his head.

Kuze is a PKF-issue cyborg. Ironically enough considering that statement, he could most likely survive for some time even with only his head remaining. In an earlier episode it was stated that all parts of his body are independent of each other, so the only way to actually kill him is to blow up his head. I don't think that Batou intends to kill Kuze, although he's pretty pissed at the moment. He simply knows, that there is no way to capture him in one piece.
If that was the case, why didn't Batou just blow them all away?

Take his barrel off Kuze for a fraction of second would be enough time for him to either escape or attack and he doesn't want that. Just wait until the next episode and you'll understand why Batou needs to keep all his attention on Kuze.
I saw a pic for episode 21 that indicates that Batou is actually going to try to knife-fight the guy instead of doing the smart thing and shooting him or capturing him like he's supposed to.

Spoiler wrote:He shoots at Kuze, who blocks the bullets with his bare hand and jumps to kick his rifle away. That was no way intended on Batou's part.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
douyang

Post by douyang »

Lightice wrote:
douyang wrote: So why not shoot the guys that take the briefcases before they get away?

Taking his attention off Kuze would be a very stupid thing to do. He's the most dangerous person in that group.
And besides, it's pretty clear to me that Batou has no intention of taking Kuze alive. He wants his head.

Kuze is a PKF-issue cyborg. Ironically enough considering that statement, he could most likely survive for some time even with only his head remaining. In an earlier episode it was stated that all parts of his body are independent of each other, so the only way to actually kill him is to blow up his head. I don't think that Batou intends to kill Kuze, although he's pretty pissed at the moment. He simply knows, that there is no way to capture him in one piece.
If that was the case, why didn't Batou just blow them all away?

Take his barrel off Kuze for a fraction of second would be enough time for him to either escape or attack and he doesn't want that. Just wait until the next episode and you'll understand why Batou needs to keep all his attention on Kuze.
Spoiler wrote:He shoots at Kuze, who blocks the bullets with his bare hand and jumps to kick his rifle away. That was no way intended on Batou's part.
That's INSANE. So the only way to kill this guy is to destroy the brain itself, and practically every part of his body, even his face, is highly resistant if not immune to small arms fire, and he seems to be MUCH stonger and faster than even the class A cyborgs like Batou and the major.

How is it that Kuze has such a relatively more powerful and advanced body when the ex-military members of section 9, many of whom, like Batou, probably received their cyberbodies during their time in the armed forces, don't posess the amazing capabilities he seems to have? Why did the Peacekeeping forces sent into Korea get something that powerful? Was it a test of new cybernetic technology, or did the government only issue these prosthetics to the peacekeepers out of concern for preventing Japanese casualties and the resulting anger of their electorate?

And if this technology was around since the last world war, why isn't it more widely available now?
cowboyfunk22

Post by cowboyfunk22 »

douyang wrote:
I find it interesting that in episode 14: Poker Face it is mentioned by the tachikomas that Japan wants a type of payback against America for how world war 2 ended via the renegotiation of the security treaty to make up for their "loss of face". Does anyone know what this would be about?
My take on it but....
The "loss of face" would be the unconditional surrender after World War II, the loss of the emperor, and Article IX of the new consitution among other things. The renogotiation of the security treaty most likely would give Japan back its ability to maintain a standing army and navy (even though they have the second largest "navy" in the world right now). It would be payback because America's "wins" would be nullified.

I liked the episode, and its been addressed why batou didn't cap those two dudes. Did you see that Tachikoma taking on the armored suit. It looked to be completely CG to me. Not the normal tachikoma CG that is similar to cars in the show, but more akin the to first season's opening credits. Sexy. I think Gohda needs more of a role though. He's been my favorite new character and seems to be lacking as of recent. He seemed like much more of a menace to Section 9 anyways.

BTW the song is "torchia" from OST 3