GitS Live Action Film News

Talk about the live-action Ghost in the Shell film here
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

Just read on animenewsnetwork about some tribute manga of the GitS film being published in Feb 18th issue of Monthly Young Magazine. There apparently had been some other tribute manga stories published. Go to:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ga/.111251
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

Paramount released on Twitter a new 15 second "motion poster" as well as a chance to win a collector's edition poster.

The motion poster continues the "glitch" theme of the trailers with a rotating closeup of the Major's head...reiterating Kuze's assertion of her life not being saved, but stolen...in large print letters.

https://twitter.com/ghostinshell
fixed link

As for the contest for a collector's edition poster, go to www.ghostintheshellsweeps.com for more rules and info.
Last edited by GhostLine on Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

I had to use a different version of that URL, that other one took me to some guys private page?????

https://twitter.com/GhostInShell
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

Last edited by GhostLine on Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

Trailer prepared for Superbowl airing. Not much new stuff, but there is an unsettling look at The Major's face.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYrdoQAjcww
Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

There was so much of that and other trailers that seemed so ... wrong. Why is she running up the wall visible in her odd-looking thermoptic camo (which looks like some sort of pink plastic bodysuit)? Why does Batou look so small? Why does the geisha have a big Japanese flag on her face (which seems to point out all the problems the production has had with race issues)?

Further ... what's with the overly-done storyline about saving her from an accident and her being the first of her kind? Doesn't that go against one of the main issues in GitS about identity (e.g., when she wanders the streets in the first film and sees others with her same body)?

Not a happy camper, sadly.
Jeff Georgeson
Quantum Tiger Games
www.quantumtigergames.com
the cat is out of the box
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

Jeff Georgeson wrote:There was so much of that and other trailers that seemed so ... wrong. Why is she running up the wall visible in her odd-looking thermoptic camo (which looks like some sort of pink plastic bodysuit)? Why does Batou look so small? Why does the geisha have a big Japanese flag on her face (which seems to point out all the problems the production has had with race issues)?

Further ... what's with the overly-done storyline about saving her from an accident and her being the first of her kind? Doesn't that go against one of the main issues in GitS about identity (e.g., when she wanders the streets in the first film and sees others with her same body)?

Not a happy camper, sadly.
Yeah, I can't think of a better time for her to power-up the thermoptics then when she is busting in the room.

I agree, the scene where Juliette Binoche announces she is the first of her kind...I am assuming the first full cyberbody as opposed to augmentation.... I wonder if Kuze, in this film, winds up being the actual first full-cyber that rebelled against Hanka robotics.

As for the geisha...they don't seem to be sexaroids, but assassin androids (hence the kill sword mouth protrusions). My guess is that the film will begin with The Major/ Section 9 performing a rescue that is partly inspired by original film and the first episode of SAC. I thought about the red sun on the geisha-bot too, but maybe it is supposed to be offensive...?

My further guess is that Hanka made the droids that maybe Kuze hacks to kill someone important at the dinner meeting and The Major has to investigate the company that made her body, and is interfered by the cyberbrain-hacked assassin also sent by Kuze (or maybe Hanka). As she digs deeper, she uncovers much about herself as she interacts with Kuze...a person she shares a past with (if story is similar to that of 2nd Gig).

I too am interested on how deep philosophically this will go...and I wonder if it will go only as deep as ARISE, The Major's own individual seeking versus larger postulations on life and what comprises a ghost.
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

GhostLine wrote:I too am interested on how deep philosophically this will go...and I wonder if it will go only as deep as ARISE, The Major's own individual seeking versus larger postulations on life and what comprises a ghost.
This...

I used to get all bent out of shape when a story was retold and was different. I used to hate Bored of the Rings. Now I think it's hilarious. And when what's his face left out Tom Bombadil and the Barrow Downs I was initially upset. And then I saw the interview where he said there was just too much material and he cut it down boy focusing on the story of the ring. I got it then. It's teh same story from a differnt point of view. Events don't carry the same weight for people so they tell it differently. It's just like that in the Synoptic Gospels - four view points (And one of them is even pieced together as an after the fact report report written specifically for someone else)

And GitS was already in it's third iteration when I first became aware of it. I learned about GitS backwards: For me SAC was first; the movie was second; and the manga third. Each is telling the same stories bout the same people but with a different focus. So I was well prepared for Arise. The Major wasn't always a super wizard level hacker. She had to start somewhere. She was a noob at one time.

And the stories also reflect the culture to which they are told. In the original Manga cyberspace was a new thing, so seeing all the action that took place there was really cool. Prosthetics had just barely started the cycle of upgrades we're seeing now. Where can these two things lead? The world of Section 9 is a very plausible point along the path (1989 - I loved all the cyberpunk novels that came out in that era. Then the movie really focused on how the people would deal with this new world because the Internet was everywhere (1995). SAC went way deep philosophical dive on what it means to be "human" (to have a soul) using the now familiar backdrop of the world of Section 9 (2005) and the technology was updated to reflect 16 years of actual progress and what imagination had changed in that time. In that same year 2nd Gig looked more broadly at the common man and "real world" problems - politics and corporate mismanagement were huge issues. Arise (2013) sort of hits the reset on this. Now we're looking at those familiar characters dealing with and adapting to a new situation. Sure they've got fancy parts and robot mines that look like little kids, but now they've discovered for the first time that your identity can be hacked and you can't trust your own memory any more. We're back to the personal story and the first question "How does this affect me?"

Look at Mary Shelley's monster (1818). Everyone was terrified of science in those days. And now (almost 200 years later) Batou represents a far more invasive technology, but no one is afraid of the science. People have learned that science is just another tool. These days people worry about GMO (altering you on a cellular level, not just gluing on another part).

So I'm looking for two things out of GitS. I'm looking for characters I recognize in a more realistic view of the future (the fact that they are doing this as a live action show as an artistic choice means they are focusing on what parts of this are real) with the framework of some stories I'm familiar with. And the second thing I'm looking for is what makes those stories unique to this telling. What new thing is the story teller sharing with me?

Just please don't screw it up. I like these characters and am emotionally invested in them and their stories. I'm already miffed that in Arise Saito got turned into a psychopathic murderer instead of a level headed guy.
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

SAC is a hard story to top, understandable why Sanders chose to go with the Kuze script.

Sadly, Hollywood knows the American public too well. If a story goes too philosophical, general audiences get too confused and angry..."I didn't get it!"
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

Link to KI Theory's cover of Depeche Mode's Enjoy The Silence as heard on GitS trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_1-oylPHjs
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

A new trailer showing the story in greater in detail and more action.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRkb1X9ovI4

Overview of the city...lots of holograms.
Batou is leading a team, approaching some armed robot sentries at a building reading MACIEJ.
Interior group of tattooed dudes all plugged into the network and wearing VR headgear.
Batou straight-kicks a dude and begins shooting with rest of Section 9 clearing the room.
The Major double-taps some guy then veers off as the team spread out in the building. She heads down a ominous area...
A hooded figure (Kuze) says in a modulated voice "I have been watching you," before "melting" away...either hologram or cyberbrain hack. The Major looks in wonder with the voice saying, "You have to remember."
Studio cards
Exterior scene with helicopter approaching a near-windowless complex located on the city edge of a bay or river. The number 9 is on the helipad, so assuming it's S9 Headquarters. Major voiceover: "I saw someone down there..."
Cut to interior Kuze walking down a dark corridor with bandages or some other loose material wrapped on his legs.
Cut to interior Section 9 team entering a briefing/ready room. Major says, "It wasn't human." Reddish holographic image of actor Michael Wincott (unknown role) appears in the center of the briefing room. Chief Aramaki listens to The Major.
Interior cut to geisha-bot and a elite dinner party, then cut to a guy (Cutter, played by Peter Ferdinando. Section 6 maybe?) saying "He's a known terrorist..." Togusa, is posted behind him. Cutter continues as a gun emerges from a briefcase with Yakuza-looking assassins starting moving down a hall, "...and he's killed again."
People in the dining hall start getting shot from full-auto guns. Red geisha makes a creepy look, black-eyed blink.
"They didn't just kill them,' responds The Major as the red geisha emits coaxle-looking cable that plugs into a subdued Michael Wincott's neck and "sucks" out data. It drags him away like a spider with prey.
Togusa says, "He's everywhere....and nowhere." Hooded assassin evocative of original gits film runs down an exterior alley. His thermoptics react from the water splashing.
Cut to The Major overlooking the city, night exterior. She removes her outer garb, revealing her near-nude thermoptic suit. "I will find him," the Major says first cocking her pistol. She drops into the city, and the thermoptic activates as her descent speeds toward camera. "And I will kill him."
Koi fish holograms encircle a building. Cut to interior, with glass exploding with The Major entering through a window, heavily disguised by thermoptic camouflage.
A non-camouflaged major runs up the side of the wall, slowing to slow motion as she shoots Yakuza.
THIS YEAR
Batou V/O in exterior day traffic, saying "You never talk about your past." Assuming they are in his no-frills car, similar to the one on 1995 GitS. Batou looks over, absent of his cyber sleepless eyes. Major says "I don't remember much...just fragments. She seems to be wearing her ARISE version fatigues.
Cut to man in plastic, black mask raising a weapon firing...then a lab explosion with two individuals being blown back by the fiery explosion.
"There was an attack..." says voiceover by Dr. Ouelet (Juliette Binoche) as red-suited labs techs (evocative of Section 9 lab guys in SAC) with electronic visors seem to be leading a gurney down a med hallway...first person perspective and a foot is seen. A reclined Major stares a bit unfocused or drugged towards the camera.
Dr. Ouelet continues "You were dying..." as a cyberbody emerges from a liquid tank (as in the shelling sequence in 1995 gits). Cut to the cyberbody's braincase plugged in with cables. Again cut to robotic arms working on the Major's cyberbody...some areas looking like skin, other areas looking translucent with exposed nerves, and then her core with a more red-flesh appearance. Dr, Ouelet "We saved you". The Major (in cyber nude yet not appearing fully functional, so perhaps her thermotic suits is no suits at all but part of her cyberbody) completed, emerges. Dr. Ouelet, looking proud: "And now you save others." Cut to the Major in classic Spider-Man pose overlooking a sunlit city.
Kuze's voice returns: "Everything they told you is a lie." Rear-view of dark-hooded figure sitting and connected into high-hanging cables. Data is flowing into him as he face is shadowed by the hood...looking almost like Anakin Skywalker. "You...had a family" his modulated voice says to the Major who is walking amongst some figures in a room. The Major awakens, taking a gasp of air in panic. "Remember that," he says, as she is sitting up in bed in her apartment in front of the big window...again evocative of 1995.
Exterior view of city, filled with giant hologram ads.
Interior scene of Major leaning towards Lia (played by model Adwoa Aboah) in a room with a lit bed and tin-siding walls. Sex worker? Lia says almost disdainfully, "What are you?" as Major touches Lia's face.
The Major races off on motorbike down an empty freeway. In her ARISE fatigues, the Major walks down an aquarium-like hall. A voice says "What a beauty you are..." The Major avoids gunshots from a bald male as she is handcuffed to an exotic dancer's pole and fights back. Cut to The Major, armed and kicking open a door. An figure wielding an electrically charged whip of some kind zaps her from behind and the Major looks to be restrained.
Kuze approaches...and the major seems to be under some kind of cyber restraint, barely able to say, "What do you want from me?" Kuze frees himself from his hood exposing his own cyberbody and silvery-gray hair to the light. His mixed media body approaches, saying, "They did not save your life," Kuze removes a portion of the Major's face, and holds it in his hands. "They stole it." A synthetic/transparent skull is seen from the Major's exposed face. Kuze's own body proves the Major isn't the first of her kind after all.
SCARLETT JOHANSSON
The Major approaches a room of jacked-in people. "How many were there before me?" she asks, and Aramaki turns in his chair with a knowing look on his face.
Cut to falling overhead camera shot over city and to Batou's car drifting into a turn. "She's supposed to have a clean brain" says a voice (Cutter again?) as we see the reenactment of Major versus brain-hacked assassin scene from 1995. Cutter walks down a hall looking angry/scared with security accompaniment. "I order you to terminate" says the same voice. The Major takes out a security guy with a stick.
A car is hit by a larger vehicle, T-boned, flipping over.
Major in a battle scene, drawing fire. Tank from 1995 GitS is firing shots. The Major takes cover behind a structural column. Kuze and Major share a momentary glance at each other. "Major" screams an armed Batou and the tank unleashes double mini-guns. Cut to the Major evading gunfire. Cut to the Major angrily punching the brainhacked-assassin's face into the inches-deep water.
Fade out and fade in back to slow-mo of the Major just finishing the assassin. Major v/o "The created me, but they cannot control me."
GHOST IN THE SHELL title card.
Last edited by GhostLine on Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

Do we know the voice is Kuze? When the body stepped into the light and was all messed up I immediately thought of Project 2501
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

Freitag wrote:Do we know the voice is Kuze? When the body stepped into the light and was all messed up I immediately thought of Project 2501
I'm pretty sure it is, but not with full certainty. That would be a good twist if Kuze ended up being a 2501 puppet, worthy of a sequel.