New Dune movie coming soon.

Everything else you want to talk about!

Moderator: sonic

HarryCanyon

New Dune movie coming soon.

Post by HarryCanyon »

I'm a fan of Frank herbert's amazing novels and Paramount will do a 3 part big screen Dune movie, they just need to find a talented director who is familar with the books and a good cast.

Hope it does better than that 1984 disaster from David Lynch.
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

i don't get why so many people hate David Lynch's version - it was fantastic and magical, and I thought quiet faithful to Herbert's ideas. Sure it looks a little dated these days, but doesn't any movie from 1984? People complain because it cut too much of the story, but to be honest Lynch filmed most of it but was forced to leave a lot of it on the cutting floor because it would have been a 6 hour movie with it all in (would have been a good 6 hours though IMHO ^_^) - I know uncut versions exist out there, they are rare as hell but they exist.

Aside, I am subtly interested to see how a new director interprets the texts of the Dune novel(s) and how far they go into the story after the original book (if any). I can't help thinking this will be a kill or cure, really, it'll either be a magnificent tour-de-force or a flop.
[MKFC] [BFC] [NINf] [BID] [TMDDFCA] [LMFC]
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
HarryCanyon

Post by HarryCanyon »

First off Saito, i thought Lynch's movie was an awful giant 47 million dollar mess of a movie and i truly detested that version of Dune. If you think it's good, your out of your mind and only like cinematic abortions for that is what Dune is, David Lynch was a miscast director when he was the wrong man when it could have been Alejandro Jordowsky or Ridley Scott as intended as they are fans of the book unlike Lynch who knew nothing of the book was chosen by friggin' De Laurentiis. I'm glad it bombed at the box-office and got bad reviews from critics/audiences even being called "Worst movie of 1984" by Siskel and Ebert and also had some terrible miscasting and a cool but sometimes bad score.

I thought Lynch's movie was an ugly, unpleasant, boring, confusing, faustrating (I was pulling my hair at times with anger and confusion) and gross parody of the novel that only reflects his ego than Herbert's vision and when it rained on Arakkis i cried and had one of the most retarded endings on film i've ever seen. Nothing but scenes of nipples being ripped out, heartplugs, bloody fetsues, and a dozen gross-out scenes. I'm glad Lynch despises this movie as he disowned it and refuses to talk about it in interviews or anywhere for it's a painful memory that he wishes to forget. I wish the studio didn't allow Lynch's vision to be on the big screen, he was a very bad choice, he's not a blockbuster kind of guy but his own man. Yes Dune is a cult classic but for the WRONG reasons, it's one of those cult movies like Showgirls as it gets watched alot to be laughed at for being so bad. True fans of the book shun 1984's Dune and when it flopped and got bad reviews, i'm glad it taught Hollywood a major lesson: Do NOT hire David Lynch for he will screw it up.

Besides we have plenty of Dune-esque movies over the years such as Nausicaa, Star Wars, Avatar, Dark Crystal, The Fifth Element, Stargate, Dark City, The Matrix movies and many more that honor and pay tribute to Herbert's masterpiece.
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

Opinions differ strongly on the matter, clearly. :)
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
Amethyst

Post by Amethyst »

Would this be a bad time to say that I also enjoyed the Lynch version of Dune?
Saito

Post by Saito »

Amethyst wrote:Would this be a bad time to say that I also enjoyed the Lynch version of Dune?
I'm glad I'm not the only one :)
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
Elmo_Redux

Post by Elmo_Redux »

I was quite fond of Lynch's Dune too. It had it's flaws sure, but it was a valiant attempt at adapting the ideas of the book and had some truly fantastic visual moments.

The mini-series that ran on the Sci Fi channel was perhaps a better medium for the narrative, but it really couldn't compete with the visuals of Lynch's film.