oh.my.god *2nd gig Trans Parent spoilers...perhaps*

Talk about GitS:SAC, 2nd Gig, & SSS here!

Moderator: sonic

cowboyfunk22

oh.my.god *2nd gig Trans Parent spoilers...perhaps*

Post by cowboyfunk22 »

Dunno if anyone else tuned into adult swim tonight, but it was a classic april fools IMO.

So here is the set up. Me and my friends are playing poker all night and go get some pizza. We come back in time for GITS Sac 2nd gig so i put it on. Now my friends have seen at most 1 or 2 episodes from watching it on TIVO so they at least know the tone of the show. Anyways it starts up with Batou in active camo and the dog sensing him. I thought the dog knew he was there from the farts, but Batou gets to the meeting and it keeps happening. Then i remember that Adult Swim has done April fools things before and it hits me. Anyways, we continue to watch the episode and thought it was the funniest thing ever.

Its completely ruined by the way, cause ill never be able to watch that episode without thinking about the farts. But i still had quite the laugh tonight. At least its a "stand alone" episode so it doesn't ruin the over arching story. Good stuff Adult Swim, i lol'd
AlphonseVanWorden

Post by AlphonseVanWorden »

Yeah, that was pretty odd... :lol:

BTW, this might have been mentioned by someone who's already seen 2nd Gig in its entirety, but... the image of Batou standing on the Victory Statue-- and a lot of the episode's themes (invisibility/sight or sense, lack of interpersonal communication between an observer and a person being observed, etc.)-- are taken from/allude to Wings of Desire/Himmel über Berlin, the 1980s classic directed by Wim Wenders. One of my favorite films from that decade.

You can find an image of Damiel-- one of the angels in the film-- on the statue's shoulder here (scroll down to Shot 2067):
http://imv.au.dk/publikationer/pov/Issu ... rtc5A.html

I enjoyed the episode a lot. Even with the added sound effects. :lol:
Last edited by AlphonseVanWorden on Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Such is the soul in the body: this world is like her little turf of grass, and the heaven o'er our heads, like her looking-glass, only gives us a miserable knowledge of the small compass of our prison. - Bosola, in John Webster's The Duchess of Malfi
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

Fart jokes in GitS? Sacrilege! :evil:

Well, nevermind...I don't think I could have avoided a laugh if I had seen it, myself. :roll:
But still.... :evil:
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
miki-chan

Post by miki-chan »

Hah? What farts? Did this not happen on the Adult Swim that we Left Coasties get for some odd reason? Or is your post the April fool's joke? :?
Batou: "Dogs don't like me." Yep, definitely a different continuum from the movies. Wonder if someone's gotten ticked about all the fanfics about the Boss Man's doggie...
The detail about the girl's diary was very odd. Why would she write it in that format if she wouldn't be able to see it? (If Batou was having trouble reading it, I kinda doubt an OCR reader could manage either...)
AVW, thanks for the Wings of Desire link. Amazing all the allusions they work into this show!
"Smoke and idiots love high places."--Batou
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

AlphonseVanWorden wrote:Yeah, that was pretty odd... :lol:

Wings of Desire/Himmel über BerlinYou can find an image of Damiel-- one of the angels in the film-- on the statue's shoulder here....
i've never seen the movie, but I recall Bono of U2 writing a song for this movie "Stay (So close, yet so faraway)" Wim Wenders directs the video which has Bono standing atop the angel statue. Wenders also directed Bono's screenplay Million Dollar Hotel with Mel Gibson and Milla Jovavich. As you can see i like U2.... :oops:
AlphonseVanWorden

U2 did the "Faraway, So Close" song for the Wings of Desire sequel. The sequel was called, unsurprisingly, Faraway, So Close! So the same themes from the films turn up in the Wenders-directed music video. I didn't really care for the second movie (I think it's one of the weakest Wenders films), but...

You like U2? Heh. Lots of folks do. No reason to blush.

If you could hear my stunning rendition of "Seasons in the Sun"-- that morbid/cheesy Terry Jacks number with lyrics by Rod McKuen (!)-- you'd be blushing... for me. Makes those noises from last night's episode sound like Maria Callas. :lol:
Last edited by AlphonseVanWorden on Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Such is the soul in the body: this world is like her little turf of grass, and the heaven o'er our heads, like her looking-glass, only gives us a miserable knowledge of the small compass of our prison. - Bosola, in John Webster's The Duchess of Malfi
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

On the East Coast, AS showed the April Fools episode at 11:30pm, an hour earlier than its regular time slot but then at 12:30am, AS showed the unmodified version.

I liked seeing what Berlin will look like in the year 2032.
AlphonseVanWorden

To go back to Wings of Desire for a moment...

When I saw the episode, I thought not only of the visual references, but of a Peter Handke poem that's used throughout the Wenders film.

It was the stuff with Batou, the absentee dad/terrorist, and the terrorist's child-- and the idea that Batou is supposed to be doing a job-- that made me think of the poem.

The film's about an angel whose feelings cause him to get involved with humanity in a way that's outside of his job description.

(The angels in the movie have been observing creation since the beginning of time and recording the activities of humans. One angel reminisces that the earliest humans were amusing creatures when they first evolved-- until they learned how to kill each other. The division between angels-as-observers and humans-as-observed is mirrored in the film's setting-- Berlin in the Eighties. A city filled with lonely individuals, with disappointed lovers, with people who remember World War Two and its aftermath. An urban landscape literally divided by the Berlin Wall, by the Cold War. The main character falls in love with a circus performer and wonders what it's like to be human... even though becoming human means crossing a boundary, ceasing to be an angel. In the film, to be human is to be involved with other people; to be an angel is to observe, to occasionally offer spiritual comfort to humans- and to realize that that sort of comfort isn't enough, sometimes.)

The poem refers to both children and to humans in general, as the film's main characters are angels-- and see humans as fragile, childlike beings.
When the child was a child,
It was the time for these questions:
Why am I me, and why not you?
Why am I here, and why not there?
When did time begin, and where does space end?
Is life under the sun not just a dream?
Is what I see and hear and smell
not just an illusion of a world before the world?
Given the facts of evil and people,
does evil really exist?...

It had visualized a clear image of Paradise,
and now can at most guess,
could not conceive of nothingness,
and shudders today at the thought.

When the child was a child,
It played with enthusiasm,
and, now, has just as much excitement as then,
but only when it concerns its work.

The full text can be found here:

http://www.wim-wenders.com/movies/movie ... ldhood.htm

The episode plays with- and undermines- some of the assumptions in the film.

Just something to think about.
cowboyfunk22

Post by cowboyfunk22 »

Motoko2030 wrote:On the East Coast, AS showed the April Fools episode at 11:30pm, an hour earlier than its regular time slot but then at 12:30am, AS showed the unmodified version.

I liked seeing what Berlin will look like in the year 2032.
Yeah, I saw the episode at 3:30 where it was modified, but my roomate told me they showed it again at 4:30 unmodified.

I also thought it was cool to see berlin in the future. It looks to be in pretty good shape for 3 world wars in the last 100 years.

I also found it interesting that Batou has such a neat relationship with Gabriel in Ghost in the Shell Innocence, but dogs tend to hate him in SAC. I think this kinda played off of the episode in the first season where Batou was chased around millionaires mansion by robot dogs. He ends up getting the robot versions to take to him, but apparently still has trouble with real dogs.
Maybe thats the reason why he treats the one tachikoma as a pet.
Tonks_kittygoth
Location: The dark dark woods where the kitten monsters live....or happy la la land, my summer home.

Post by Tonks_kittygoth »

are taken from/allude to Wings of Desire/Himmel über Berlin,
I noticed that right away and was Soooo happy. I didnt think anyone would remember that movie, so I didnt post on it.

Giant :D

I loved that movie, the sequel ended silly, but the begining I thought had some beautiful concepts. Like how the second angel to become human, i dont remember his name, has to go through the pain of being human.
Of having emotions, and desires and phsicality.

The scene where he breaks down in the Deviant Art exibit was very moving to me. Also when he is totaly broken, and living in the street and Lou Reed reaches out to him.

I don't know the rest of the series, but I dont believe that Batou makes a good Angel/observer. He is too kind for that sort of a role. That is why I find a connection with him.

I missed the Majors yelling at him, so I dont know what she said, but man, sometimes she can be a bitch. Sorry but shesometimes seems so cold and unfeeling, whether by choice or nature she bugs me. (Batou should find someone nice to fall for...like the vet in the Yamada novel.)

*go ahead and yell at me for cutting on the major, just getting my frustrations out.*
Why would she write it in that format if she wouldn't be able to see it? (If Batou was having trouble reading it, I kinda doubt an OCR reader could manage either...)
Wow, I cant believe me and my husband both totaly missed that...
well eathier they slipped up good, or maybe she can see just a little bit?and that is why her handwriting is so bad?
dogs tend to hate him in SAC.
Yeh I think that is a joke from the directer to Oshii.

The dogs probably dont hate him as much as are wondering what the hell he is doing lurking around angel statues.
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man.
Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as
one wants to live and not die, so do other
creatures." - His Holiness The Dalai Lama
AlphonseVanWorden

I don't know the rest of the series, but I dont believe that Batou makes a good Angel/observer. He is too kind for that sort of a role. That is why I find a connection with him.
That was kind of my point about how the episode subverts the film it's referencing. Batou's not an angel... in more ways than one. He's got a job to do... and that involves clobberin' folks and taking the bad guy-- who in this instance has a kid-- into custody. :lol:
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

Tonks_kittygoth wrote:*go ahead and yell at me for cutting on the major
you know. i was thinking the same thing about motoko. she is such the icon for the shell squad, like debbie harry for blondie, you know.
Tonks_kittygoth
Location: The dark dark woods where the kitten monsters live....or happy la la land, my summer home.

Post by Tonks_kittygoth »

That was kind of my point about how the episode subverts the film it's referencing.
Ok, I didnt really get it, I was thinking you were talking in a more general sense of the observer/observed. But like I said, I short circuted my brain earlier...
she is such the icon for the shell squad,

Do you mean you feel like its sacrilige to cut on her? Yeh, plus I got an earful from my husband. meh, he'll get over it.

Fart jokes in GitS? Sacrilege! Evil or Very Mad
Here here! I agree! however, that is exactly why they did it Im sure...sigh...
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man.
Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as
one wants to live and not die, so do other
creatures." - His Holiness The Dalai Lama
douyang

Post by douyang »

I don't see why people choose to criticize the major at all. Her character has always been this highly professional, no nonsense, level headed authority type. Which is why she's the field commander and not Batou, who tends to let his emotions cloud his judgement and make him a liability at times, like when he let the suspect get loose in this episode.

She may seem cold, but to me she's just doing her job of making sure her team stays at 100% and maintains their high standards of performance, especially given the dangerous and essential work they do.

I see a lot of people getting pissed at her about having the Tachikomas dismantled back in season 1, but I don't really fault her for it, given the potential dangers their growing sentience could pose (what if they revolt? More importantly, how ethical is it to keep a sentient being as a piece of property and slave doing dangerous work that sometimes involves killing people?)

I always loved the fact that she was so serious and hard-core about her work.
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

I agree with douyang that the Major shouldn't be criticized for yelling at Batou, he let his emotions take over when trying to arrest him and nearly got shot. As douyang pointed out, Motoko is cold because she cares about the well being of her subordinates and she doesn't want anything bad to come to them, this makes her an outstanding field commander.