Future of GiTS - Fact vs Fiction

General discussion about Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

stand-al0ne

Future of GiTS - Fact vs Fiction

Post by stand-al0ne »

All,

I want to start a thread concerning the future of GiTS.

I would also like it to be as factual as possible and not so much "wouldn't it be cool if" or "Production IG should do..". Not that I couldnt go on for days myself with daydreaming, but I just want a thread about the facts...however limited or dim they may be.

I'm sure many of you would love it if GiTS lives on in some way, whether it be live action movie, TV, or other. I just think putting together a thread like this will help organize facts and give us a way to determine to possibilities of a future.

I also feel that adding information pertaining to the developers and producers of the show is important too, so any information relating to that is beneficial to contribute.

I believe this to be the beginning of a very long road to assembling efforts to either make a live action movie a reality or continuation of the TV series. But for now its time to build the foundation of this "super structure"

-SA
Image "Fortune Favors the Brave"
miasma

Post by miasma »

I think the latest news about the Hollywood live action adaptation was a couple of questions thrown at the script writer:
http://www.firstshowing.net/2010/01/31/ ... he-script/
With Spielberg backing it, I think there's a good chance it'll get greenlit by the studios. So, maybe 3 years or so away?

With regards to the anime franchise...
Here's a really interesting interview with Kamiyama Kenji, director of both SACs:
http://www.productionig.com/contents/wo ... index.html
He went on to do Seirei no Moribito and Eden of the East with I.G.

The closest thing we've gotten to a successor to GitS from Production I.G was a collaboration with Shirow - Real Drive. It was some nice, refreshing sci-fi, but lacked strong central dramatic elements (more of a slice-of-life type thing) and had a bit too much gaia-ish pseudoscience for my taste.

Oshii is busy with other stuff... possible Tetsujin 28 remake?

So... absolutely no signs of anything GitS-related on that front. :(

edit: oops, link fixed... very little information tbh.
Last edited by miasma on Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stand-al0ne

Post by stand-al0ne »

Thank you for this contribution :D

Insightful (while some slightly depressing) information, so thank you.
Also, that first link is the same as the 2nd link. Do you have the link that takes it to Steve S's article? I would be interested to read that.

Thanks,

SA
épitaph

Post by épitaph »

Thanks for the links,Kamiyama's interview was very interesting especially when he pointed out that he wanted to copy oshii san cause you know,physicaly and in terms of personalities,the two majors differ greatly

Oshii san stated in an interview that he said all he wanted to say for now,I think the interview is pretty old though.If we put things in perspective Innocence came out almost 10 years after the first GITS if Oshii san decides to follow the same pace,we have a bit more than three more years to wait before the eventual sequel my friends !! :D

Ok this is pur speculation but so far We have to acknowledge that we lack of tangible informations
Incarceration Of Personality
Is A Sad Inception Of Self Denial

The One That Denies The Inner Self
Flees Into Deception
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

This thread reminds me of Chat Chat Chat. A review of the information available and discerning between which is fact and which is fiction.

I'm just waiting for the forced transfer.....
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
stand-al0ne

Post by stand-al0ne »

Freitag wrote:This thread reminds me of Chat Chat Chat. A review of the information available and discerning between which is fact and which is fiction.

I'm just waiting for the forced transfer.....
I have read that thread as well and I can see that happening. I just hoped this one would be more meat and potatoes and less speculation.

I should get on my old ebay account and see if I can find the vendor who I bought SSS from. Apparently he, among other things GiTS related, did the voice of the Laughing Man in the season 1. We chatted back and forth back in the day, but that was over 2 years ago and sadly I did not think enough to pick his brain about the future of GiTS...
épitaph

Post by épitaph »

@ stand-al0ne,Like I said we truly lack of tangible information,an official statement from I.G would be viable,I don't like to realy on pseudo insider information From whoever....if I remember correctly back in 2008-2009 there was somethink about the continuation of the TV series,based on some info a dude allegedly working for IG stated at an anime expo....

This thread is a good initiative of yours,but without reliable information,when speculation is the only option left you can hardly prevent people from using this only available tool.

Flees Into Deception
stand-al0ne

Post by stand-al0ne »

épitaph wrote:@ stand-al0ne,Like I said we truly lack of tangible information,an official statement from I.G would be viable,I don't like to realy on pseudo insider information From whoever....if I remember correctly back in 2008-2009 there was somethink about the continuation of the TV series,based on some info a dude allegedly working for IG stated at an anime expo....

This thread is a good initiative of yours,but without reliable information,when speculation is the only option left you can hardly prevent people from using this only available tool.
yea, good point. That said, we have our work cut out from us. It looks like I will be making it a personal mission to find out an official statement of yes or no. And if yes, what particulars. I think at least finding that out can be done. My contact may give me a starting point to finding other people who can get closer to the facts.
épitaph

Post by épitaph »

@ stand-al0ne,Oh I forgot to ask you about whether you contact is the american VA or the japanese one,the japanese VA is the most likely to have a clue about what we're looking for.

Flees Into Deception
stand-al0ne

Post by stand-al0ne »

sorry, he did the voice of the Laughing Man for the English version. Good point, original Japanese contact would be a better person...
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

This is the last of the GitS news I ever heard...a S.A.C. based Manga being serialized in several magazines. Will it ever be seen on English speaking shores...............?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... a-in-japan
stand-al0ne

Post by stand-al0ne »

very cool! It even gives a little insight to whats happening at Dreamworks.

Thanks for sharing this! :D