in the shell Forum Index in the shell
Discussions about the many incarnations of Ghost in the Shell, philosophy and more!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Technological singularity projections.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
funknotik

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Technological singularity projections. Reply with quote

One of the things GITS really got me thinking about was how soon we really are to a similar future technology wise. At my most cynical I say probably not before we destroy our selves. But when I look at Moore's law and I think about how technological advancement is exponential, I realize it might be sooner than we think. Started reading the work of Ray Kurzweil and became a little more optimistic about the possibilities. Anybody else geeking out on this stuff what do you guys think?

Ray Kurzweil:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uIzS1uCOcE
Freitag

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Technological singularity projections. Reply with quote

funknotik wrote:
At my most cynical I say probably not before we destroy our selves.

Ah, be optimistic! It's the singularity that WILL destroy us - so they arrive at the same time Very Happy
funknotik

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Technological singularity projections. Reply with quote

Freitag wrote:
funknotik wrote:
At my most cynical I say probably not before we destroy our selves.

Ah, be optimistic! It's the singularity that WILL destroy us - so they arrive at the same time Very Happy

Yeah I figured that, damn 45 views and only one comment. I would think so many GITS fans would be fascinated by the prospect of a technological singularity. Anyway theres a movie coming out about Ray Kurzweil and you see some of the opposition (people who think he is full of shit.) Check out the trailer it's called Transcendent man http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntY01qoIdus
Freitag

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well of course he's full of it.

But he and his are fun to watch and may come up with some interesting inventions along the way.

Can't watch from new office. blocked.... Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    in the shell Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: