Introduce yourself

Tell us about yourself!
Jeni Nielsen

Introduce yourself

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

Ok so I know we've done this a couple of times now, but there are some new faces and people to get to know. So I'll start.

My name is Jeni. I'm currently a college senior. I'm "majoring" in Japanese and Asian Studies. I'm a self-professed kanji freak and have been known to fall asleep reading the Japanese dictionary.

I became interested in GitS after seeing the first few episodes of Stand Alone Complex. Recently I haven't been following the series as much as I used to, but I'm still a huge Shirow fan. I'm also a fan of philosophic/intellectual discussions. That's mostly why I hang around this place nowadays. (which reminds me I have to start posting topics in the philosophy section!)

I'm one of the mods here so if you have any questions, concerns, comments or what have you, I can try to answer your questions or get in touch with Jeff-sempai and see what he can do about it.

Also if you feel that anything is inappropriate or breaks any of the forum rules please PM me about it. I don't have nearly enough time to read all the topics here.
base of the pillar

Post by base of the pillar »

Yo I'm base of the pillar. I stumbled across this site a while back an decided to stay. I'm not big on putting my name out online, or any info for that matter. Bonus points to anyone out there who can figure out where my nickname came from. (I'll give you a hint: It's a famouse scifi book series.) Have fun.

Glad to see that you're back Jeni. Hell I'm glad to see this whole place back. How I've missed the conversations. Thats not to say that my first semester of college hasn't been keeping me busy.
"And if we spirits have offended think but this and all is mended. That you have but slumbered heree while these visions did appear."--A Midsummer Night's Dream

History may not repeat itself, but it does rhyme.
Qwuff

Post by Qwuff »

Hi, I'm David, and I've been a GitS-aholic since I accidentally caught it on Adult Swim when I was still watching Cowboy Bebop. I found this site a few months ago, before the crash and I started lurking, but never got around to signing up. Anyway, yeah, nothing interesting to say about myself, but I'm happy to see the boards back up.
Spica

Post by Spica »

I'm Spica, a college junior currently studying psychology and, to a lesser extent, philosophy (though I'm, as of yet, no expert in either field). I hope to study both subjects in graduate school (with a greater emphasis on philosophy) and eventually become a college professor. I am a free thinker and subscribe to the aristotilian branch of philosophy (and am sounding like a personal add right about now). Despite my interest in the fields of philosophy and psycology, I have more or less stayed out of the philisophical discussions (mainly because they were already three pages of long posts when I got here), but I plan to participate in any future discussions now that the forum has been reset. I also tend to write gramatically correct scentences as long as paragraphs.

I origionally discovered Ghost in the Shell and the work of Shirow Masamune by whatching the origional movie (which I am still very fond of). My area of expertise is the manga incarnation of Ghost in the Shell (as well as Shirows other works). If anyone has any questions about the manga, post them and I'll gladly answer, though slipstream is the one to ask about the technical aspects of any incarnation of GITS. I'm actually kind of excited about the forum being reset, because that way we can once again discuss all of the topics that have already been talked about (instead of just directing newbies to our old conversations).

I took my screan name and avatar from the character in Ghost in the Shell 2: ManMachine Interface who I beleave to be the origional Motoko Kusanagi, but despite the my feminine avatar I am a man.
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
-Hamlet
Slipstream

Post by Slipstream »

Uh....he--he--hello....My name is Slipstream, and I...like....pudding...

Okay...seriously. I could be the oldest one here. I started watching Anime
back in 1991 when only comic stores had them for rent. Then, all that was being imorted were the good films and the really good OVAs. It was a golden time of Riding Bean and Madox 01 and Bubblegum Crisis.

Then I turned away, started excerising, lost like 110 lbs. Became a writer, started my website back in 96 I think. I wanted to create a site that did something. So I started it and it was real basic but it actually had content. All my old role playing games were online. My Alien RPG was the first one written for the site and got it a lot of attention. I have been making rpgs for the site ever since and even came close to getting one published until the company ran into financial problems. I also came close to working for a larger one and that's still pending but I am no longer holding my breath. Through out all of this, I have maintained a day job which rolled into management only a few years ago.

As for Anime....the last 90s were a dead zone. After the good stuff came up, then the crap followed and, with the exception of Macross Plus and the Patlabor films, I felt Anime slipping away. I only rediscovered it in the past two years. Torrents have allowed me to rediscover what I had been missing. Anime renting is still sparse up in my little town. DVDs have gotten to be more reasonable and my Anime collection, which only had Princess Mononoke and Ghost in the Shell, ballooned quickly. I bought every SE volume of SAC. Now, I am back with a drive unseen before. Now I also have money to spend on these.

Outside of Anime, as stated previously, I write and run role playing games (but counter every cliche you may know of them). I ran two car clubs but sold my last one so now I have a Neon for the winter.

I was a college student, where I tutored screenwriting under a guy who wrote for Fraggle Rock. I wrote the pilot episode for a British CGI TV show that never got finished. Now I work full time and write for SerenaDawn, which is now almost 10 years old.

Oh...and I am also a guy. I have been single for over four years since my last girlfriend passed away from lupus. My standerds have increased somewhat and I may have priced myself out of the market. No time for much of that anyway.
Creator, Ghost in the Shell D20 RPG
www.serenadawn.com
Bringin It Down

Post by Bringin It Down »

Unfortunately, my name is Jeff as well as the sites admins. I hope this doesn't confuse any of you.

I'm 18, and I'm from a college town in Iowa. I am majoring in becoming a history teacher or a music theory teacher. Music and art are two of my main passions. I have some of my own sketches that I might post later on.

I play in a hardcore band called Thin Ice! and I hope to tour in my offtime from school.

I plan on learning a lot and posting a lot of my theories about the philosophies in Ghost in the Shell.
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

I'm the Elmo which is what alot of people call me offline, not even my mother uses my real name. I'm a writer from England who is so financially limited at the moment that I may need to get a "real" job :(.

Educationwise my areas of expertise are psychology and philiosophy.

My interests are mostly terribly dangerous things that will eventually lead to me falling off a cliff, plumetting out of the sky to my doom, getting eaten by a shark or having my legs gnawed off by badgers.

I've been watching anime since the days you had to watch fuzzy imported pirate recordings of 'my youth in arcadia' with homemade subs projected onto the wall of a darkened cellar under the local pub. But never consider myself an anime fan as such, just a general fan of storytelling :)

I'm self involved and frequently a bit hypomanic in my rantings, but there's nothing I enjoy more than a good discussion ..especially if someone ends up making my poorly constructed POV look stupid ;)
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

i'm GhostLine, formerly Briareos J.
i've been GitS aficianado for a while. I knew of the manga first, and then fell in love with the films. i have an A.A. in english, and have taken up the remainder of education in my own hands after dropping out of my International Development major. i've studied philosophy, world religion, linguistics, ancient history, art history, and archaeology, and other cool crap. I am working on a book right now...and i like to read and write poetry.
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

- :idea:
Last edited by sonic on Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hush404

Post by Hush404 »

Hi, My name's Hush404, I'm new to the board and to GITS in general(as of today, 22/01/06). I've watched the first GITS movie and have dabbed into the SAC series but for the most part GITS in an interest which I've yet to fully dive into. Other Anime I enjoy include Evangelion, Escaflowne, Cowboy Bebop and a bit of the ol Dragonball Z in the past. I don't read a ton of manga but I'll sweep over things if I can get my hands on them, and video games play a big part in my spare time. Anywayz, glad to be here.
ghst.01

Post by ghst.01 »

Hallo, I'm ghst.01. I've watched the first movie and have plans to get my hands on the manga. Other anime I like, besides GiTs 'course :
>Battle Royale[mov. 1]
>Trigun
>Neon Evangelion Genisis
>Yu-Yu-Hakusho
>Full Metal Alchemist
:D
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Hello....

hi....

hey there....

:D Ok ok, seriously now.

hi

:P

I'm Marto. A lot of people call me Motoko, and no matter which continent I'm in, I bring about the wonders of Ghost in the Shell like a crazed 'saviour' from from the 1600's saving people by converting them to christianity. :lol:

I'm perhaps, and still would fight to the end to claim my devotion toward Motoko Kusanagi, who I have viewed as a real role model for 11 years, and still counting.

I'm also an artist.....even though the best thing my art could be used for is toilet paper. :P (in other words, I'm not all that good.)
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Spica

Post by Spica »

No one calls you Motoko, we all call you Marto.
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
-Hamlet
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Spica wrote:No one calls you Motoko, we all call you Marto.
I mean people who know me in person. :)
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
ghst.01

Post by ghst.01 »

marto_motoko wrote:
Spica wrote:No one calls you Motoko, we all call you Marto.
I mean people who know me in person. :)
...and this doesn't frighten you?