Questions About Ghost in the Shell: SAC

Talk about GitS:SAC, 2nd Gig, & SSS here!

Moderator: sonic

shade_slayer

Questions About Ghost in the Shell: SAC

Post by shade_slayer »

I have a lot of questions concerning the Laughing Man storyline. Please let me know if I've got this right:

The Superintendent-General and several other higher level officers in the Metropolitan Police force are involved in a conspiracy. For some reason they want to hide the identity of the true Laughing Man by pinning it on their decoy: Nanao=A. They want Section 9 to believe Nanao is the Laughing Man, exemplified when they insert a forced-recognition language program on Nanao's colleagues, which forces them to testify Nanao's high probability of being the Laughing Man.

Do I have that right? A few other questions:

1. Why did the police illicitly insert Interceptors on their officers?

2. What does Aramaki mean when he says the death threat on the Superintendent-General is a farce by the Metropolitan Police. Does that mean the Metropolitan Police told Nanao to commit the death threat?

3. If it wasn't Nanao who made the initial death threat, who was it? What was Nanao doing in his room during the attack on the Superintended-General in the next press conference? Was he the one who sent the modular delayed-action virus?
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

welcome shade!

good questions...i'll have to review to make sure, but it sounds like you are on track.
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Y'know, as much as I would love to think that there's some greater reason behind Aramaki's opinion of the Metropolitan Police's farce, I think it comes down to internal conversations kept within the knowledge that's only in the border of the characters, and not precisely something that can be tangled into the viewers' understanding.

I think that's one thing I always liked about SAC. Not everything's upfront and explained, so instead we simply assure what is happening, or make educated guesses on the reasons and explanations given to the best of our ability. It's the sense of seclusion and separation from the world of SAC that makes it so appealing, because of how elusive it is.

mm
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
hazle

Post by hazle »

From the way I understand it:

1. The police officers who are handling the laughing man case are the only ones who were inserted with interceptors. It's probably because those who were involved in the corporate blackmailing wanted to keep tabs on what's happening in the investigation.

2. Aramaki considered the death threat a farce concocted by the Metropolitan Police to divert the people's attention from the interceptors case. Probably because the timing's too convenient. No, the death threat wasn't from Nanao.

3. I'm not sure about this one. I think it was the same people who killed Nanao who sent the message. He was was the one who sent the virus though, he thought the plan was for him to get arrested and be established as the laughing man.