Matrix GitS Comparison

Discussions about the first film (Ghost in the Shell) and the second (Innocence)

Moderator: sonic

Freitag

Matrix GitS Comparison

Post by Freitag »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3tF7TL0Qh4

The side by side video comparison is pretty cool. It really shows what a rip off Matrix was. But that is not the point of the video - just an 'add on' observation
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
M4nu3l

Post by M4nu3l »

Good video.

I'm glad for the side by side, and the admittance of the "direct influence".
Elvenefris

Post by Elvenefris »

Interesting !
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Re: Matrix GitS Comparison

Post by Saito »

Freitag wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3tF7TL0Qh4

The side by side video comparison is pretty cool. It really shows what a rip off Matrix was. But that is not the point of the video - just an 'add on' observation
Great comparison video and congratulations on completely missing the point...

See there's one HUGE difference between GiTS and The Matrix. The Matrix is a live action movie made with real actors (ignoring the sequels which were largely CGI'd and sucked because of it IMHO). What Larry and Andy Wachowski did was largely *influenced* by Anime and Eastern cinema but what they did was roll Anime style filmography and action into a live action movie in a western mainstream environment.

The Matrix isn't original. The story isn't original, the concepts are not original, the style isn't original. What it was however was a unique fusion of all these ideas and concepts and styles into a full-blown Holywood movie. The original movie at least was a very good item of work. It's not a 'rip off' of any particular thing, it was a use of ideas and inspirations not usually drawn on for such a work. It might seem corny and old hat now but in 1999 it blew the movie industry inside out.

I started out as a fan of The Matrix way before I liked GiTS. I was aware of GiTS and appreciated it's inspiration of the Wachowski brothers but were it not for The Matrix I'd never have discovered GiTS quite as deeply as I did. The Matrix taught me how to look deeper into the philosophy and underlying meaning of a piece of film, not just get a hardon over the explosions and fast cars (although they are cool too :P). Without that I'd never really have 'got' GiTS.

As it goes, I don't think of it as a rip-off, I think of it as a tribute, a homage to these great works from people who are true fans.
[MKFC] [BFC] [NINf] [BID] [TMDDFCA] [LMFC]
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...