What the s**g? New Red Dwarf!?

Everything else you want to talk about!

Moderator: sonic

Would you want to see a new series (series 10) of Red Dwarf?

Yes, why'd you even have to ask?
100%
Maybe ... um, what is it?
No votes
Nah. Been there, done that.
No votes

Total votes: 3

Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

What the s**g? New Red Dwarf!?

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

I was just reading that the gang from Red Dwarf have done a new miniseries--finally! I've waited and waited and waited for such a thing, and had honestly given up.

Anyone seen it? I gather it was on Dave in April, and then released to DVD in the UK in June (but won't be in the US until October :( ). I don't want to know the plot, just whether it's worth picking up.

Jeff
Last edited by Jeff Georgeson on Thu May 13, 2010 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Georgeson
Quantum Tiger Games
www.quantumtigergames.com
the cat is out of the box
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Waaah, don't kill me Jeff but I've actually never heard of Red Dwarf before. :oops:

Care to introduce me with some links, etc?
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Elmo_Redux

Post by Elmo_Redux »

what never?! *head explodes* I was practically raised on red-dwarf, i've got all the old video tapes around here somewhere but they're all worn-out through being watched thousands of times :D

The new red-dwarf mini-series back to earth isn't as good as the real thing but it's definately worth a look, personally It's the lack of a studio laughter track and no crappy model-on-a-string special effects(in favour of CGI) that feels odd to me.. It definately picks up a bit towards the end though.
Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

Well, of course there's the Wikipedia entry--a bit dry, gives you no idea of the comedy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dwarf

You can also see bits and pieces of it on YouTube, I'm sure.

Very cool random quotes: http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/reddwarf/fa ... ndex.shtml

My favorite episodes include "The End" (episode 1, the setup!), "Better Than Life" (they discover an extremely immersive videogame), "Back to Reality" (they discover the whole series has been an immersive videogame), and "Tikka to Ride" (a strange addition to conspiracy theories of the Kennedy assassination). And many others, as well. The cast really played off one another very well. (Another fav old series of mine is Blackadder, and I suppose some of the humor is similar, so I imagine that says something about me :) .)

--Jeff
Jeff Georgeson
Quantum Tiger Games
Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

Have finally watched Red Dwarf: Back to Earth ...

I liked it, generally. Of course, I went into it afraid that the team involved would have lost the plot, so to speak, and it just wouldn't be funny at all. But I did laugh, and quite a bit. The Blade Runner references/homage were hilarious at first (although not quite as funny as time went on), and I got a kick out of seeing the Red Dwarf cast on the set of Coronation Street.

I wish there had been more Kochanski/Chloe Annett, both for the usual schoolboy-type reasons and because I like the character and actress, but, hey, after all this time I'm amazed they got everyone back at all.

And of course anyone who'd watched the series probably figured out the general plot about 15 minutes in ...

In the extras they kept talking about doing a new series ... well, I'd vote for that!! (And I have, since I just made up a poll for that very thing :) And yes, it would be series 10, and not 9, as the producer points out in the DVD extras for Back to Earth.)

--Jeff
Jeff Georgeson
Quantum Tiger Games