Kuze Hideo's name...

General discussion about Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

Project Mayhem

Kuze Hideo's name...

Post by Project Mayhem »

Woo! My first post here. 8)

Actually, I've been wondering this for years...

At the very beginning of 2nd GIG Episode 17 Red Data, they mention that Kuze went by the name "Ro" while he was in Taiwan.

"The Chinese character means Serene as a sunny day; it also means as brutal as a wolf. The guy seemed like a ronin too. Someone who might wander away again and disappear at any time. So the refugees started calling him Ro. "

Does anyone know what Kanji/Chinese character he is referring to?
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

I think a lot of it is just made up, so there may not be a real answer.

Kanji are Chinese characters for writing Japanese. Pinyin are Chinese characters for writing Chinese/Mandarin. I guess most like Romaji

Do we know which nationality the refugees are? Or do we assume that all discussions are referencing Japanese as a base language?

Some quick searches didn't turn up anything, but that means nothing, I speak Chinese about like I speak Greek (I don't). But having a native speaker (or close approximation of one) might help.

http://www.dicts.info/2/english-japanes ... gin=Search

ruro_nin

That might be part of where the "ro" came from?

The first paragraph describes me: http://www.pinyin.info/
Most of what most people think they know about Chinese -- especially when it comes to Chinese characters -- is wrong.
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
Project Mayhem

Post by Project Mayhem »

If i remember correctly, the refugees were from China, who fled to Taiwan. From what they said, I assume that the language is Chinese for the first definition.

Ronin is Japanese, and accounts for the "wanderer" part of what was said. That much I know (I'm partially fluent in Japanese.)

What I am interested in, specifically, is the traditional Chinese character that is the first part of what was said. If one such actually exists.