Mass Effect

From Sonic to Mario to Final Fantasy to Soul Calibur and everything else, talk about videogames here

Moderator: sonic

Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Mass Effect

Post by Saito »

I got this Friday and have burned up almost all my spare time playing it since (including an entire weekend). It's a typical Bioware RPG game, it's easy to get into, has a massively deep and compelling story-line, and it's character development and combat are second to non. A true masterpiece.

Anyone who played Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and enjoyed that will feel right at home in Mass Effect. It's not a Star Wars title, but a lot of the feeling is similar to KoTOR.

As with any Bioware game, the locations, graphics, dialog and animation are all truly stunning also. Of course I have the advantage of having an expensive graphics card in my computer (or, you could play it on XBox 360), which makes it even better, but generally the game is really nice looking all round. I especially like the highly detailed facial customization for the main character you play, it's mind blowingly flexible! The twists and turns in the plot really suck you in too, and without wanting to give too much away, there's some really emotional roller-coasters in there too.

I highly recommend it to any action-RPG fan or Bioware fan. I can't find enough superlatives for it.
[MKFC] [BFC] [NINf] [BID] [TMDDFCA] [LMFC]
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

I can't believe no-one's played this....

Seriously it's a masterpiece. I've finished it twice now, and the story is fantastic.

I've also grabbed the books, 'Revelation' and 'Ascension' by Drew Karpyshyn. They are a good read. They must be, I don't do reading novels much and I'm still riveted to them.
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
Elmo_Redux

Post by Elmo_Redux »

I started playing it ages ago, but just haven't had the time to go back and finish it yet. Liked the bit I saw though.. :)
Saito

Post by Saito »

It's well worth finishing, although I got a bit bored of the side missions so I gave up on those, but the main storyline is fantastically well thought out. Even on the second pass it was well worth doing and wasn't anything like as boring as I feared. The whole thing is like watching a good movie.
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

I was going to buy Mass Effect with trade-ins, but my roommate wanted Assassin's Creed. At that time, it had just come out and enjoyed a lot of hype. It's hadn't fallen to the test of time yet. I shouldn't have yielded... It's been a long time now and I still haven't really played AC yet, nor will I anytime in the future. I was fed up before I even tried to start a game.

First, you can't have more than one game going at a time. The console will only take one save or overwrite, which is just stupid. So I couldn't start a game while my friend was playing. Next, all the on-screen text is just so small I can't read it. I'm sorry I don't have a large plasma or LCD TV yet, which probably makes me a caveman to the gaming industry's standards since all games are now developped with incredibly small text.

Sorry. I was just letting it out. I hope I can get my hands on a used copy of Mass Effect when winter starts.
Oh well.