in the shell Forum Index in the shell
Discussions about the many incarnations of Ghost in the Shell, philosophy and more!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bioshock Film would you kindly!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elmo_Redux

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Bioshock Film would you kindly! Reply with quote

Looks like the rumors were true. Universal has signed a deal to make a BioShock movie. Gore Verbinski of Pirates of the Caribbean fame will direct.

Verbinski has said he thinks the movie will be R rated and he'll take the little sisters dilema "right up to the edge," to avoid betraying the core gamer audience. Smile

For once I'm not sceptical about it, it could be one of the few game-to-film moves that works out well. After all he did make a passable trilogy out of a theme park ride so he's already shown he can do more than churn out cynical straight to rental b-movie cash churners like a certain cheesebrained german director who shall remain nameless. Razz
Elmo_Redux

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange that it's being announced just as the atlas shrugged film is going into production too. Great timing, see the slightly melodramatic philosophical work in the cinema and then a couple of months later we'll be able to see the same film but with giant mutant diver-suited, drillbit waving monsters and creepy little girls! Very Happy booyah!
sonic
Special

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha! You make a good sell on it Very Happy . Convince a local cinema to make a night of it XD
Elmo_Redux

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol great idea Sylphi I think I might just do that, I know some people at one of more artsy local flickhouses so I reckon I could convince them to do a double feature. I don't know why people don't screen double-films so much anymore, it's always a bit tiring but I love em'.
Colmy_DD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really only read the title of the topic but i think that the FPS to film thing sucks because they generally dont have gun fights and concerntrate on the plot!!
Elmo_Redux

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

normally I think it's just the opposite, they try to convert the game to film too directly by just making it a lazy chain of action cliches with very little attention being paid to any character other than the protaganist like DooM, Hitman, Mortal Kombat or Tekken(or any Boll film). If they actually hired a decent writer and showed enough backbone to do what is needed to the game canon to make it a more acceptable plot then it shouldn't be too hard to adapt a game for a film. But bioshock actually has a passable story and setting already, as long as they actually create some new compelling characters to tell the story with, or take some from within the game world and give them an expanded role, then I think it really could be alright..

I find your point of view interesting though. Incidentally I will be starting a module of a course soon that is all about film adaptions and I'm looking forward to learning more bout this sort of thing.

Last edited by Elmo_Redux on Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
simon's ghost

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The debate is interesting enough. Do you think sticking with or changing the thick of the subject matter would attract the same audiences? I think disappointment is hardly avoidable. Remember: marketing & target audiences.
Elmo_Redux

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe it's more of an issue with videogame adaptions because everyone's experience of the subject matter will be different, maybe that's true of all fiction to some extent but especially so with games because the narrative is in part being directed by the audience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    in the shell Forum Index -> Video Games! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: