Ghost in the shell theme for phpBB

Everything else you want to talk about!

Moderator: sonic

AI

Ghost in the shell theme for phpBB

Post by AI »

This the first topic I've started so here goes

In my spare time i have modified the CSS in this forum to make a GitS specific theme. Comments and analysis are welcome
thanks
[MKFC] [BFC] [TTAASI] [LDU] [LMFC]
"Who can gaze into the mirror without becoming evil? A mirror does not reflect evil, but creates it."
Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

That does look cool! Can you link to a higher-res version, though? I can't see the text clearly enough to know how readable it is.

My concerns:

--What do people feel about reading white text on greenish-black?

--What do the other screens look like (posting, individual topics, etc.)?

--The logo in the upper-left looks out-of-place, a sharp island of white--but I wouldn't want it to get lost in the darkness, either.

--The "Ghost in the Shell" text/image in the middle interferes with the text over it. I'd lose this element from the background.

Thanks for the modding! :D

Cheers,
Jeff
Jeff Georgeson
Quantum Tiger Games
www.quantumtigergames.com
the cat is out of the box
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

It's not clear enough really, and I'm very very not a fan of black backgrounds. My blog used to be orange on black and one day I looked at it and almost vomited when I realised how awful it looked.

My suggestions are:

Change the font to a 'Sans' (not Roman) font like Verdana - it's way clearer to read.

Reduce the impact of the background image a bit so it doesn't clutter the forum display

Try a white version

Use a contrast colour for the headings of the main forum tables

If you want to go black I can easily redo the logo onto black
[MKFC] [BFC] [NINf] [BID] [TMDDFCA] [LMFC]
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

D'oh! (as Homer Simpson would say ...) I didn't do that one extra click to make the image bigger :oops: (To be fair, I thought from the ALT text it was just going to take me to the ImageVenue site if I clicked.)

I agree with Saito. A sans-serif font works better in this case for the body and any other small text. One could try a serif for larger, headline text, but as phpBB doesn't have much of that, maybe it's better to just keep to one typeface.

The bluish text for the FAQ, Search, etc links is really hard to read.

I do like the way the graphic background breaks between sections. Nice effect, that. And it matches the way the main in the shell site has breaks between elements.
Jeff Georgeson
Quantum Tiger Games
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

Its truely the right background image 8) but i agree about the color and the font :? its hard to read some things and the fonts just don't fit the theme......But a great start 8)
The Hokie Pokie "IS" what it's all About.
AI

Post by AI »

The background image is taken from ghostintheshell.tv so it can't be used as the official background. I was hoping to use a picture of Newport city, if anyone has an image we can use free of copyright pleas post it. As for colour schemes how about somthing like the menu's on Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence

I agree that dimming the background image would make the entire thing more readable

If you want a whiter background pleas post a white background image

A blue theme is as follows
NOTE: i have not changed the font yet, changing the font from the admin controll panel is ealier so I hav'nt botherd

Last edited by AI on Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Who can gaze into the mirror without becoming evil? A mirror does not reflect evil, but creates it."
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

I really like the general idea. It sure wouldn't feel so blegh anymore in here. This place feels like it really has potential, but everyhting is painted white.
Oh well.
AI

Post by AI »

I really like the general idea. It sure wouldn't feel so blegh anymore in here. This place feels like it really has potential, but everyhting is painted white.
That's the reason i endeavored to make such a theme.

PS.

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:20 pm
Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:36 pm
And they say we're not active
CanisD

Post by CanisD »

Would this be the only style available or would the basic subSilver still be available as an option? My eyesight is rather poor and those screens are a migraine ready to happen.
"If you want to have dinner with the Devil, make sure to bring a long spoon!"
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

The font works a lot better in that version but the blue doesn't work so well, it's rather intense.

AI: how did you get a replica of the forum up? did you install phpBB and replicate all the forum titles on your own computer? If that's what you did I may well have a go at it myself as I have a PHP server in my room (YES I'm a NERD!! I'm also a professional web developer though, so I have an excuse :P).

Also I'll have a go at doing some post icons and stuff.
[MKFC] [BFC] [NINf] [BID] [TMDDFCA] [LMFC]
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
AI

Post by AI »

I created the theming by downloading the homepage and modifying the CSS Content. If you want I could post the page i did for download and you could Ctrl-C Ctrl-V the css into your control panel.
I'm also a professional web developer
In that case I would be happy to hand over all further work to you ;)
Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

CanisD wrote:Would this be the only style available or would the basic subSilver still be available as an option?
subSilver would definitely still be an option!
AI wrote:The background image is taken from ghostintheshell.tv so it can't be used as the official background. I was hoping to use a picture of Newport city, if anyone has an image we can use free of copyright pleas post it.
Indeed, all images from GitS are copyright someone other than us. Since this is a fan site, though, the companies tolerate use of official images as a form of advertising.

I'm willing to plug all this into a phpBB style template once we have everything sorted out, if in fact someone hasn't done that already by that point.

-Jeff
Jeff Georgeson
Quantum Tiger Games
AI

Post by AI »

I'm willing to plug all this into a phpBB style template once we have everything sorted out
I'll send you what I've done so far ( via email)

*EDIT removed CSS code because it took up too much space
Last edited by AI on Fri May 02, 2008 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
AI

Post by AI »

I definately prefer a slightly plainer, open friendly bright and airy feel
how about suggesting a background image that meets your preferences, then I could try to match a colour scheme to it.
AI

Post by AI »

Does anyone approve or disapprove of the following as a less gloomy background
http://caffeinated-dreams.net/images/wa ... ge1024.jpg[/url]