How to get new blood

General discussion about Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

Chesire Cat wrote:I'd love for there to be more activity, but then again, maybe I'm just an enthusiastic noob. Compared to myself, there probably isn't as much for you people to talk about anymore. I still think you guys have a great forum going though, and certainly a lot of good posters to boot. I just hope things start to pick up again :D
It will pick up when more gets said about the Speilberg film. That will peek a lot of interest from people that aren't familier with GITS or anime for that matter 8)
The Hokie Pokie "IS" what it's all About.
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Hey, here's a few posts finally.

I usually tend to post, wait for replies, maybe get two in one day, then silence ensues for days.....

>_> Depressing really.

Still, I just started rewatching the series, and mainly Innocence, which I'm only growing fonder and fonder of.

Does anyone else agree with me that "After the Long Goodbye" was perhaps one of the greatest things to carry the Ghost in the Shell title?

I loved the mood of the book. *goes to make a thread about it*
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

I want that so bad but my bank account says no way :cry:
The Hokie Pokie "IS" what it's all About.
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Epiphany wrote:I want that so bad but my bank account says no way :cry:
Shame. You do know they sell now the paperback version for ten bucks or so, right? Even though it's a pity not to get the gorgeous hardcover version, which is twenty. It's absolutely beautiful. The image of Batou holding Gabriel is some of the finest art. (personally that artist's work was my favourite in the franchise.)

mm
Damnd of Hell

Post by Damnd of Hell »

On another board I belong to, www.kelleyarmstrong.com, we have a book of the month club, but sometimes we can get the author to field some of the questions and discusions.

How about, if it's possible, to have a chat page where, if it's possible, the voice over artists, or even some of the teams invovled with Ghost can field some questions?
Damnd of Hell

hello

Post by Damnd of Hell »

How about a fan art/fan story page thread? For us wanna be writers. :D
It does not matter wheather one belongs to the upper or lower ranks. If you have not placed your life on the line, at least once, there is cause for shame.
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Re: hello

Post by Saito »

Damnd of Hell wrote:How about a fan art/fan story page thread? For us wanna be writers. :D
I've had some ideas but I am not the sort of person who could commit that kinda stuff to paper/electrons. It's a shame as I think I wouldn't be half bad, but TBH I really can't do it even after trying.

Something I struggle like hell with Re: anime fan fiction is translating manga/anime in to writing. You can see why GiTS was written as a manga not a text novel... it almost requires the visual element to keep the pace and visualisation going.
[MKFC] [BFC] [NINf] [BID] [TMDDFCA] [LMFC]
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ghost-in- ... 309?v=wall

Hmmm, the link doesn't come across right, but that is one of several Ghost in the Shell Facebook pages.

CleverUserNameHere is already over there. Links there could point back here. But sometimes being hard to find can be a bonus.

edit: found a way to fix the link
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

I have several of the Ghost in the Shell fan pages under my interests on Facebook. They're decent enough I suppose.

Lately I've been digging through all my old goodies. Including the "After the Long Goodbye." Anyone else read it?

mm
SectionMR2

Post by SectionMR2 »

I've actually got a few ideas for how to re-inspire this place. First off, yes... This is the first and best hit for "Ghost in The Shell" forums on Google. That alone is quite a feat, but the issue here is how many people are looking for Ghost in The Shell forums? It is not a light-hearted anime that people would get on to discuss character-crushes and fan-drawn pictures. It is a serious thing, and I know that many people who were with me in the military watched it. So I think it attracts those borderline people, those people who don't quite like\know about anime, but enjoy Ghost in The Shell for what it is: Excellent, ground breaking, thought-inducing anime.

But then if we were to cater to only a small section, we would be in much the same boat we are in now. Which is not something that can continue, or this forum won't be around much longer. A lot of talk has been done on the "If you build it, they will come." And I couldn't agree more. But what I'm worried about is who will come. So here's my outline for bringing this site back to life, in three bulletin points:

1. Advertising - We need to get out there and get our name known. We need to be the Go-To source for GiTS knowledge, archives, videos, music and character profiles. My recommendations on this are a Facebook page, and purchasing advertising space on other anime-themed sites and forums (such as Sankaku Complex, Anime Net, etc.)

2. Content - Something this site does not lack is content. However, it does lack specified content related to the show. Character bio's, music links, video links, where to buy the DVD's, what time the show is on on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim, backgrounds on the organizations and so forth. I think this would really up the amount of traffic, even if it's just people wanting a bit of background on the series. The second part of this proposal would be fan-generated content. There's an entire Ghost in The Shell mod for Half Life 2 called Neo Tokyo. If we were to ask them to advertise us on their site, I'm sure we would get more traffic. Along with that, perhaps a fanfiction section so that those of us with writing talent could put it to use for something we love.

3. Broadening our prospects - So, as I'm sure many of you know, there are several anime's made in the vein of GiTS. Appleseed comes to mind, along with Black Magic 666, and several other anime\manga in the vein of or done by Shirow-san. These sections could be made, and discussions sparked about them and their own individual stories and such. Another great addition would be the discussion of the Deus Ex series. Essentially, this would transform this forum in to a hub of all things Cyberpunk, with the founding series, Ghost in The Shell, at it's very core.

Feel free to take my ideas either way, but know that I've been lurking here for almost a year now, and I think these ideas will revolutionize the forum, and the amount of members we have who are active.[/list]
Chroma

Post by Chroma »

I think we've got quite a good beginning in the portal pages of this site.
Maybe we should have a way to highlight what they call excellency pages on wikipédia, bring up to the front the threads that are very interesting.

I do not know if this is possible within the forum structure. But if we can't do it that way, maybe another way could be found. Maybe with the portal pages?
stand-al0ne

Post by stand-al0ne »

talking about the seasons will help newcomers. I know many topics about the seasons have been talked about (based on seeing what you old timers say about that)

However there are many topics newcomers such as myself would like to discuss. I feel if everyone is being positive about discussing GiTS season topics , it will encourage people in the shadows to come forward and post.

:roll:
Image "Fortune Favors the Brave"
Freitag

Post by Freitag »

I know the thing that makes Wikipedia successful is that there are data groomers out there that clean up articles.

This is a forum and so editing other peoples work is out of the question because it might change their intent.

But maybe if there was some kind of unique thing for this site like a floating episode guide or something.

I'm thinking of a page element that hangs down one side or another (or a bar across the top)

But not just default data that can be found anywhere online. I'm thinking that there should be links to forum threads in there too. It's just a rough idea banging around in my head now and may need someone who is good at visual stuff to help outline it.

I've done some phpBB 2 mods before so I'm familiar with edits to move things around the screen and can offer help. I'm not just suggesting more work for our great host(s)!
People tend to look at you a little strangely when they know you stuff voodoo dolls full of Ex-Lax.
stand-al0ne

Post by stand-al0ne »

how many moderators are there? Or left?
Image "Fortune Favors the Brave"
Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

That'd be me! 8)
Jeff Georgeson
Quantum Tiger Games
www.quantumtigergames.com
the cat is out of the box