Pro or Against GiTS Live-Action Adaptation?

General discussion about Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

Are you for, or against the creation of a live-action Adaptation of Ghost In The Shell?

Yes! Live-action would improve GiTS immersion etc.
6%
Sure. I've been waiting for more GiTS content.
12%
Maybe. We'll see how it turns out.
41%
No. A live-Action Adaptation would only hurt GiTS's rep.
41%

Total votes: 34

holdenmcclure

Post by holdenmcclure »

While we're completely off topic:
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

Yay for rick astley! :roll:
Oh well.
holdenmcclure

Post by holdenmcclure »

Word around the street says he'll never give you up.
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

and never let you down.
Oh well.
holdenmcclure

Post by holdenmcclure »

He won't run around and hurt you either
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

I was actually thinking (yes, it hurts to do so), and I thought of a perfect mix.
Take the Matrix aspect of gothic city environment, (in other words what they ripped off from GitS to begin with), and apply it to graphics filtered in a way very similar to that in Avalon, with filters to give certain textures to people that makes them seem almost glowing.
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Individual Twelve
Location: British Summer Time, where everyone gets an hour less sleep.

Post by Individual Twelve »

So long as they don't cast the actors incredibly badly (which, in all honesty, they're likely to, judging by modern film adaptation standards), and they stick to the style of the original movie (which they also probably won't). If they do those two, it's likely not to be a disaster at the least.
mirrormirror

DreamWorks to make 'Ghost' in 3-D

Post by mirrormirror »

:twisted: Set your cyberbrains to stunned, people. :twisted:

Dreamworks has acquired the rights to Ghost in the Shell. And they're planning a '3D live action' film. And it looks like Steven Spielberg will be tacked onto the project. No news on a production date though.
http://entertainment.slashdot.org/enter ... 4254.shtml
http://www.variety.com/VR1117984029.html

What do you think? Good news or bad news?
The Ego, the Self, perhaps even a Soul.
Elmo_Redux

Post by Elmo_Redux »

I may just gouge my eyes out with an ice cream scoop to spare them the risk of seeing this monstrosity, so I'm probably in the 'bad news' camp then.. :P
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

Elmo_Redux wrote:I may just gouge my eyes out with an ice cream scoop to spare them the risk of seeing this monstrosity, so I'm probably in the 'bad news' camp then.. :P
I agree :cry: Jurassic Ghost :cry: Oh crap, now there will be wal-mart shelfs full of Ghost Toy knock offs from a movie that will probably distroy anime...Then 4 or 5 Directors Cuts and 2 or 3 special box sets...Then if it does well at the box office we can watch every anime product ever developed ( Both Good And Bad ) get bought up by all the studios and thrown out in the fastest cheapest way posable. Just so they can cash in :cry: I can see it now Full Metal and Bebop will be those crappy Sci-Fi Saturday crap movies :x

If Speilberg likes GITS like he says he would leave it alone. Maybe the Speilberg of 10 years ago could have made a good film out of it. But now he's nothing more than a business man :evil:
The Hokie Pokie "IS" what it's all About.
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

I would say this may eliminate poor casting calls if they go with the actual voice actors we are all used to, which I hope they do.
Oh well.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

3-D? Spielburg? Now, I like some of Spielburg's gritty sci-fi's...Minority Report and A.I.. I'm hoping he'll keep the intelligence of the franchise. But Transformers was also Spielburg affair...and we all know who he put up to direct.
I agree, that at least with Speilburg we'll have a willing pool of actors. And now I am going to assume the pool of actors will be American. So if Tome Cruise is still tight with Stevie, then we'll 'prolly see Katie Holmes as Motoko. You heard it here first!
Individual Twelve
Location: British Summer Time, where everyone gets an hour less sleep.

Post by Individual Twelve »

Speilberg, eh? I reckon he could do a reasonable job. Minority Report was awesome. They could go with the standard VAs... but I do hope the merch doesn't happen. Hopefully Dreamworks will go for an adult approach. It just wouldn't work otherwise. Sounds like it may be a good result after all...
[BFCP] [LMFC] [BID] [TA] [TOSFU] [AFC] [DDT] [ATC]
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

I posted this in another thread but ... don`t you think that if it is in 3D, it could actually be based on MMI? If it is the case, it could LOOK trully awesome. 8)

As for the scenario ... well... let`s keep our fingers crossed and hope that Shirow will be involded. :wink:
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?

douyang

Post by douyang »

I can't honestly say I have high hopes that Shirow will be involved in this project, or that it will have anywhere as good a storyline or an exploration of intelligent subjects as the originals.

I keep thinking back to Silent Hill... not a movie I watched, but totally panned by general audiences for lack of any decent coherent storyline, even though they could have just stuck to the characters, plot, and themes of the original, which were some of the best I've seen anywhere. The one thing they got right were the visuals.

The visuals are the only thing I hold out hope for as far a Hollywood adaptation. And that they will pick less annoying voices for the Tachikomas.

Depending on how much they care about doing Gits justice and sticking to the source material, it may actually be a watchable piece that doesn't feel like someone pissing on us....