Upcoming Films

Everything else you want to talk about!

Moderator: sonic

Elmo_Redux

Post by Elmo_Redux »

I'm ignoring the rest of this thread about hollywood's latest transgressions lest it makes me weep with sorrow for the genocide against creativity and storytelling. :(

But because I'm really inconsistant I do want to see Dark Knight :) I always liked the batman-joker relationship, especially when they go into the jungian thing of them both being different aspects of the city's sick psyche. Or when they use him for a decent discussion on the nature of madness & chaos vs. sanity & order like in the killing joke. And I really think they might do it justice judging by the good job they did on batman begins. Now that I have revealed my self as a bit of a comic geek I can say that the Joker is one of my favourite characters ever and one of the few characters that i truely identify with ...which is a little worrying. :shock:
Elmo_Redux

Post by Elmo_Redux »

Elmo_Redux wrote:I'm ignoring the rest of this thread about hollywood's latest transgressions lest it makes me weep with sorrow for the genocide against creativity and storytelling. :(
too late :cry: poor AKIRA...

*gathers up all his remaining favourite stories and hides them from the big bad hollywood*
Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

It's funny ... for the longest time the only comics I really liked were The Dark Knight Returns, the Dark Phoenix saga in X-Men, and Watchmen. After being disappointed by EVERY Batman film, however, I am cynical about any Dark Knight release.

Too bad.
Jeff Georgeson
Quantum Tiger Games
www.quantumtigergames.com
the cat is out of the box
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

Jeff, not even '89 BATMAN?

Honestly, the Heath Ledger Joker looks a little creepy...I just hate how Joker is being played up when it still stars one of the best actors in Hollywood...Christian Bale.

Another of my favorite actors is Edward Norton, but I have a feeling the new Hulk movie is gonna blow. I'm still out to lunch on Iron Man...what is he doing? Fighting the Taliban?
Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

Certainly I include the '89 Batman in that list! The casting was atrocious: Jack Nicholson as a pudgy, aging Joker? Michael Keaton as Batman?? To be fair, he made a good Bruce Wayne, but it was impossible to believe he was the well-muscled, agile, etc. Batman. (Had they added the fake abs and nipples to his costume at that point? I can't remember.) And the classic Tim Burton signature set didn't make it feel dark or gothic so much as cartoony ... like we were watching Batman in Nightmare Before Christmas. (I admit that I came into the film looking for a serious take on a serious graphic novel, and so when I got the "comic book" treatment in which Hollywood has since smothered almost every superhero adaptation, I was a wee bit disappointed.)

I could rant like this for ages on this and its sequels, but I won't. (Lucky us! :twisted: )

--Jeff
Jeff Georgeson
Quantum Tiger Games
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

Come on Jeff! This IS a story about a guy wearing a bat costume!
Oh well.
Elmo_Redux

Post by Elmo_Redux »

batman begins had ninjas...
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

Elmo_Redux wrote:batman begins had ninjas...
So did the Mutant Turtles :lol: :lol:

but I liked the TMNT Movie :D :oops:
The Hokie Pokie "IS" what it's all About.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

DUNE. Yep, Hollywood is at it again....

http://www.film.com/movies/story/dune-h ... 2/19549712
Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

I hope this latest Dune is ... well ... good :? I liked the Sci-Fi miniseries well enough, but it didn't hold my interest as well as it could have, and Lynch's version had only a superficial resemblance to the books (what does it say that the most memorable thing about the film was Sting in his jewelled battle-shorts?). I've always wondered if the rumor I heard at the time that Lynch had decided not to read the novel because it would interfere with his personal vision of the film was true. I could certainly believe it.

And yes, I do want my stories about people dressing up in bat costumes to be serious! Errr ... ummm ... :roll: (Well, at least Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman was purrrfect :) )

Lest you all think I don't enjoy anything, I DO like some of the TMNT films--both the newest one and the oldest one especially.
Jeff Georgeson
Quantum Tiger Games
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

I agree with the fact that the Dark Knight wasn't very dark. The first Batman had promise but was a real let down. Jack's over the top performance was rediculas. I did like the Penguin character in number 2 but the rest of that one fell short as well. The came the govenator and jim carry :oops: . At least from the few episodes of the old TV series I've seen they didn't pretend they were anything of depth.

I did like a lot of "The Shadow" movie. At least they seemed to take it seriously 8)
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

Sylphisonic wrote:
but I liked the TMNT Movie
I love the very first one (actual turtle costumed people, not CG). They're all good fun though. Jeff and I have opposite tastes in actual comic books (I can't stand Dark Phoenix or... a certain other popular story :roll: ). Give me the amazing, epic tales of the far more obscure mutant heroes of the Marvel universe any day of the week (I'm a Shard fan through and through).

Is there anyone but me who suddenly thinks an African-American batman would be a fun twist? You know, because then "Dark Knight" would take on a raucous new irony? What, you looking at me like that? Come on, they've done just about everything else to these things already. They have a Halle Berry version of Catwoman. I say they could both have re-imagined counterparts, just for fun. If they want to do something desperately outlandish, why not? LOL LOL LOL :lol: :lol: :oops: :? :) :D
Or they could have made it "The Dark Knightette" after all batgirl could have been used :wink:
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

Speed Racer (a.k.a. Mach Go-Go-Go!). Anybody plan one seeing it? I don't think I will...
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/new ... acer_N.htm
An article from USA Today...about Speed Racer and future anime adaptations. GitS is mentioned.

Speaking of adaptations...Marvel Comic's Iron Man seems to be doing quite well....
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

The New Batman movie looks like it might be good. Heath Ledger plays a lot more menacing Joker than Jack did. I love the dark look of the stills I've seen. Maybe they did some justice to this one 8)