Upcoming Films

Everything else you want to talk about!

Moderator: sonic

GhostLine

Upcoming Films

Post by GhostLine »

I thought since a lot of threads lead to discussions about films in the works, I thought I'd throw this down where we could discuss movies we are excited to see or the newest of the scuttlebutt....

Such as:

Warner Bros. is joining forces with Leonardo DiCaprio to make a live-action AKIRA adaptation.
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=42210
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

Deep Joy...
[MKFC] [BFC] [NINf] [BID] [TMDDFCA] [LMFC]
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
Epiphany

Re: Upcoming Films

Post by Epiphany »

GhostLine wrote:I thought since a lot of threads lead to discussions about films in the works, I thought I'd throw this down where we could discuss movies we are excited to see or the newest of the scuttlebutt....

Such as:

Warner Bros. is joining forces with Leonardo DiCaprio to make a live-action AKIRA adaptation.
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=42210
I love Akira 8) ....But I'm not a big Leonardo DiCaprio Fan :P
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

If I said I had any positive vibes towards DiCaprio... I'd be lying.
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

In Manhattan?!?!?!?!?? WTF! :x Why do they have to americanize it? I'm sure they'll change the names as well! pffff

Rumors had said that Evangelion would suffer the same problem ... so I finally hope that there will NOT be any live action GitS adaptation either :!:
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?

Saito

Post by Saito »

Yeh, it sounds like a really lame shot al round. I'd expect it to be about on the same par ass the remake if The Italian Job in LA at that rate... how BAD was that film...
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

Leo DiCaprio is a good actor, but there's something about him that comes off funny... Besides, who could he possibly play in that story?? All the main characters are teenagers (and have to be for the story to work)! If he's supposed to be either Kaneda or Tetsuo, look for a lot more bastardization than the change of cities and context... I expect something in the line of "vague references" to the original work.
Oh well.
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

simon's ghost wrote:Leo DiCaprio is a good actor, but there's something about him that comes off funny... Besides, who could he possibly play in that story?? All the main characters are teenagers (and have to be for the story to work)! If he's supposed to be either Kaneda or Tetsuo, look for a lot more bastardization than the change of cities and context... I expect something in the line of "vague references" to the original work.
Age has never stopped hollywierd from casting people

Look at 90210....most of them were 25-30 years old when they made it
The Hokie Pokie "IS" what it's all About.
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

I agree, age is not really an issue, especially knowing that these teenagers were doing only adult stuff.

I do agree that diCaprio is a good actor though (even if I don't like him) and I don't think he played in really crappy movies. So, if he accepted to play in it, and if the production has enough money and influence to get someone like him, there is a possibility that it could be ok. It's just that I don't understand why they have to americanize it :x

Imagine hobbits speaking with a texan accent :shock:

simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

THYREN wrote:I agree, age is not really an issue, especially knowing that these teenagers were doing only adult stuff.
If you're thinking of the animated movie, I'd say you're pretty accurate, but the original graphic novel had them acting in a much less mature way and their school days play a slightly larger part in the story. The way they relate to each other also reflects their teenagehood. If I rember the article, it says it would make a 2 part story based on the graphic novel, not the animated movie.

That said, of course they could just push Leo to us as a 16 year old brat or adapt the story to tell the lives of a bunch of 30 year old half-ass criminal and lowly scumbags (instead of kids doing stupid things).
Last edited by simon's ghost on Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oh well.
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

simon's ghost wrote:If I rember the article, it sais it would make a 2 part story based on the graphic novel, not the animated movie.
Oops ... I should have read the article before posting :oops: :P

simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

Funny thing: I left the forum (and the pc) last night and immediately started reading it all over again. Last time I read it was somewhere back around 2000-2001... I actually stayed up until 1:30 AM and had to wake up barely 4 hours later. So I am actually completely smashed right now after my workout! :shock:
Oh well.
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

And completely irrelevant and off topic too!!!

HAHAHAHAHA!!!
Oh well.
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

simon's ghost wrote:And completely irrelevant and off topic too!!!

HAHAHAHAHA!!!
You're lucky I'm not a moderator anymore. Harumph. :P
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

Indiana Jones...I can't wait to see this. I'm wondering how heavily Steven and George will rely on CG for this. Sometimes we just need good ol' fashioned stunts, camera tricks, and live creatures to ward off the over-indulgence of fakery. Visually, it'll probably be successful at attaining the required affect, but the landmark of the Indy films was the cilffhanger approach to film and edit...the epitome of old-school, but, alas, times do change.